Latest post Thu, May 9 2019 5:14 PM by Jon Blaze. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, May 3 2019 2:08 AM

• Jon Blaze
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 29 2016
    • Posts 11
    • Points 145

Which file name does Media Composer use for AAFs?

So I've found myself in a situation where a distributor would like an XML export of my MC sequence.

My planned workaround was to export an AAF from MC, import the AAF into DaVinci Resolve and export the XML from there.

However, a portion of the audio files are failing to relink, probably because they weren't properly named. So I figure I should be able to rename the files in order to get them to link correctly.

Does anyone know if AAF's using the Link To method, use the files Tape ID when relinking? Or the Tape Name?

Avid Media Composer 8.8.4 -Symphony Option iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2011) 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5 32 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB macOS... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, May 4 2019 10:28 AM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 706
    • Points 8,850

Re: Which file name does Media Composer use for AAFs?

I've found that going from one Avid to another, the tape name should suffice. However, you're going AAF  to Resolve and then making a XML to be imported by the distributer to (possibly) some other piece of software. This is where problems can arise because you're hoping all the metadata is carried across in all these operations.

I've experienced relink problems simply sending AAFs to Resolve. So sometime ago, I got advice from an experienced Assistant Editor on features, about her workflow in preparing for a major edit.

She explained that some default metadata can get lost sending out AAFs. For example, this can happen when you sync up video and audio in Avid, where the 'sync' clip (in consolidating the metadata from the video and audio clips) overwrites the audio 'Name' and 'Start (timecode)' columns with the data in the respective video columns.

To this end, she advised always doing the following to the rushes.

For Video rushes...

Copy the 'Name' column to the 'Filename' column

For audio rushes...

Copy the 'Name' column to the 'Sound Filename' column

Copy the 'Tape' column to the 'Soundroll' column

Copy the 'Start' column to the 'SoundTC' column

This was the way she worked to minimise problems in relinking further down the track.

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Symphony 2018.9, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color, Avid Transport [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, May 4 2019 12:26 PM In reply to

Bruno M:

I've found that going from one Avid to another, the tape name should suffice. However, you're going AAF  to Resolve and then making a XML to be imported by the distributer to (possibly) some other piece of software. This is where problems can arise because you're hoping all the metadata is carried across in all these operations.

I've experienced relink problems simply sending AAFs to Resolve. So sometime ago, I got advice from an experienced Assistant Editor on features, about her workflow in preparing for a major edit.

She explained that some default metadata can get lost sending out AAFs. For example, this can happen when you sync up video and audio in Avid, where the 'sync' clip (in consolidating the metadata from the video and audio clips) overwrites the audio 'Name' and 'Start (timecode)' columns with the data in the respective video columns.

To this end, she advised always doing the following to the rushes.

For Video rushes...

Copy the 'Name' column to the 'Filename' column

For audio rushes...

Copy the 'Name' column to the 'Sound Filename' column

Copy the 'Tape' column to the 'Soundroll' column

Copy the 'Start' column to the 'SoundTC' column

This was the way she worked to minimise problems in relinking further down the track.

Thats an odd workflow. Avid creates the name from the filename. And I'd be very wary of replacing a filename metadata entry with data that isn't the same.

If the filename was empty for some odd reason then I can see copying name to filename (actually its source file)

We used add the source folder to the tape,id column and advice never touch the tape column.

The sound stuff makes sense.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Sat, May 4 2019 2:19 PM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 706
    • Points 8,850

Pat Horridge:

Avid creates the name from the filename. And I'd be very wary of replacing a filename metadata entry with data that isn't the same.

If the filename was empty for some odd reason then I can see copying name to filename (actually its source file)

I'm pretty sure that was what she meant, so when you first import/link to the file, it's 'Name' would be the source file name. If the 'Filename' column was automatically populated by Avid then that's fine, but if it was empty, you would be copying the data from the 'Name' column.

I'm sure she wasn't suggesting that you'd copy a clip name that had been user changed to something like (for example) 'scene 1' as that would obviously be wrong as a filename.

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Symphony 2018.9, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color, Avid Transport [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 9 2019 5:14 PM In reply to

• Jon Blaze
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 29 2016
    • Posts 11
    • Points 145

So I've figured out what was going wrong and thought I'd post it here so anyone else who runs into the problem knows.

Since I had created DNxHD proxy media in Resolve originally, when importing the AAF back into Resolve I checked the option to 'link to the source camera files' and unchecked the option to 'automatically import media'.

So the video relinked to the RAW footage without issue and I had assumed the audio files would relink to their original WAV files and not the MXF media that had been created upon importing into Media Composer.

That wasn't the case, so I ended up importing one video only AAF and a separate audio only AAF with the option to 'automatically import files into the media pool' selected and everything relinked successfully.

Then I just combined the video and audio timelines.

Avid Media Composer 8.8.4 -Symphony Option iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2011) 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5 32 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB macOS... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller