Latest post Mon, Aug 3 2020 4:05 PM by Terry Snyder. 149 replies.
Page 5 of 10 (150 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jun 20 2020 8:19 PM In reply to

• Leo Baker
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 5 2011
    • London
    • Posts 485
    • Points 5,710

Re: Avid Titler+ - The good, the not-so-good and the ugly...

Yes, the Avid Marquee title tool was great. A huge very useful option in common was when you typically had a text file of multiple names typically needed to be promptly added into the same title template. You could instantly make 1 standard template and populate the text file of chosen names to import; City 1, Name City 2, Name, etc.

Yes, I agree about translation, I think if it has the legacy terms X,Y,Z for position it would work much better. Even if it was made similar to the layout of the old title tool, but update for 4k along with more modern ways of setting text, adding logos and such. And maybe some templates to get started could be immensely useful.

I found in the old title tool, I can right click an align the horizontal and vertical my title. Seems in the new Avid Titler+ tool that option is unavailable, so to position the title seems to be by eye or values, which is so much slower.  I was getting used to the new titler from New Blue which was bundled with Avid.

I did buy Titler Pro 4, but the upgrade costs to occasionally make titles are unjustified. And if I produce titles and an edit and share with someone else, and they don't have the titler tool from new Blue it makes things fiddly.

I in addition had a few frequent crashes now and again with the New Blue Titler, so did not want to get locked into a constant upgrade of the titler when a new version of Media composer is updated.

MacPro6.1 Late 2013 Intel Xeon 12-Core 2.7GHz 64GB RAM AMD FirePro D700 6GB OSX Mojave 10.14.6. Media Composer 2020.5, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.5, Avid... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 26 2020 10:49 PM In reply to

I just wanted to step in here and thank everyone for sharing their thoughts about NewBlue Titler Pro while they're deciding what will be their go-to titling tool. I do know that, unfortunately, a number of workflow changes as well as stability problems have made it difficult to choose Titler Pro 7. 

We are putting in a lot of effort to improve stability in Titler Pro 7, and do intend to make the mandatory external file saving an optional feature (meaning that Titler Pro 7 would be able to work like previous versions). Additionally we've recently identified an issue that, when fixed, should speed up the initial load time of Titler Pro significantly. 

These updates will be free for anyone who has already purchased Titler Pro 7 (and will of course be available to any future customers). 

I don't have a set date yet for when we'll have an update ready but I will do my best to keep everyone here up to date.

• Sat, Jun 27 2020 4:26 AM In reply to

• hartfilms
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 16 2005
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 152
    • Points 1,570

Thank you, Marcus. Please don't make too many other changes. Some of us are just getting comfortable with 7.

MC 2018.12.3 - HP Z440: Intel Xeon E5-1650v3 3.50GHz 15MB 2133 6C CPU; G8U34AV 32GB DDR4-2133 (4x8GB) RegRAM; NVIDIA Quadro K2200 4GB DL-DVI(I)+2xDP 1st... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 1 2020 12:54 PM In reply to

• Leo Baker
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 485
    • Points 5,710

reported a bug Seven (7 Months) ago to Avid technical support, bug report is open MCCET-3435 OPEN TYPE font from GENERAL COLLECTION. I have fonts from House Industries Open Type, font family called The General Collection. Also other font families from other vendors. the issue is this;

OSX Avid Titler+

Issues: Load Avid Titler+go to the font family, you can only see the first/top font and unable to select any others as no drop down box.

Does Not Work

Windows Avid Titler+

Issues: Load Avid Titler+, go to the font family, you can see all the fonts in the drop down box.

think 7 months to fix this issue is not a good starting point. As all the other issues people are having and the titler slow to fix, change be adapted, etc. Maybe speed up development and make the Avid Titler+ software development separate, where by you install the updates to the titler, for use with-in Media Composer. As so far we are waiting every Media Composer update/release which may or may not address the issues and short comings of the titler.

If Avid are really struggling to build a titler, why don't they just license New Blue Titler pro and build it into the software using their engine? As it seems to be a case of trying to re-invent the wheel here? All the competition has working Title solutions but not Avid? With Catalina no native support, just old installers for legacy title tools, Marquee and Title Tool working in 1080 resolution maximum title creation only.

So maybe license, from New Blue Titler proBoris FX, or work with Harris/Inscriber on the now obsolete Inscriber Title Motion, or re-code Avid Marquee??

I can see this Avid Titler+ issue going on forever, as it seems the priority is not on the titler as post after post about bugs, issues or errors in the software.

MacPro6.1 Late 2013 Intel Xeon 12-Core 2.7GHz 64GB RAM AMD FirePro D700 6GB OSX Mojave 10.14.6. Media Composer 2020.5, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.5, Avid... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 1 2020 2:07 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,267
    • Points 231,935
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Leo,

I just asked the 2 engineers working the titler for an update on that bug MCCET-3435 as I agree it is not moving along as fast as it should.

Let me see what Luc and Bruno have to say.

back soon....

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Wed, Jul 1 2020 2:24 PM In reply to

• Leo Baker
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 485
    • Points 5,710

Much appreciated Marianna. Is there no possible way at present to properly take Marquee and the Title Tool and update it into the Titler+? I would naturally love the time saving features like the auto title creation of Marquee. Where you could make a template of the title, then have a text file with lists of names and Avid marquee would then auto create titles form the list. Such a huge time saver and direct inside the Avid Media Composer timeline. New Blue, Adobe, Final Cut Pro X etc are not performing this distinctive feature at all. 

As for example Titler+ in Classic Title Tool in Avid, I can right click to align to the vertical and horizontal to be perfectly aligned to the center. These little, things as huge time savers and such a shame "no one" is doing the import text file to produce titles. I passionately love the idea of the Avid Titler+ being updated for higher resolutions and modernised. Just a possible thought about the developed software of Avid Titler+ in common being build as standalone installer, where it can be more readily updated? Obviously the Titler will still be the same in Avid, just a faster development cycle?

• Thu, Jul 2 2020 5:50 PM In reply to

• morsey
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 12 2019
    • Posts 43
    • Points 505

I used the titler for the first time, simply trying to put some text on screen. I'm having a long rough time. How complicated does it need to be? It's very buggy and far from intuitive. It's like as if a team was asked to create a titler, but had never seen or used one.

• Thu, Jul 2 2020 5:52 PM In reply to

Email rogershuff@fastmail.fm and I'll send you a useful guide.

iMac i5 27", 40GB RAM, OS 10.14.6 with Symphony 2020.6, BlackMagic mini monitor. MacBook Pro, 16GB RAM with OS 10.14.6 with MC 2018.12.12 and BMD... [view my complete system specs]

With best wishes, Roger Shufflebottom

ACI, Technical Tutor (Editing), Faculty of Media and Communication, Bournemouth University, Dorset, UK

• Thu, Jul 2 2020 6:05 PM In reply to

• morsey
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 12 2019
    • Posts 43
    • Points 505

Roger Shufflebottom:

Email rogershuff@fastmail.fm and I'll send you a useful guide.

That's very kind of you. I shall hit you up.

• Mon, Jul 13 2020 1:34 PM In reply to

• Ben Hills
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 17 2007
    • London, UK
    • Posts 32
    • Points 455

I'm on Catalina and will have to now use 2020 - I want to only do one thing with Titler+: make a centered title on black. I can just about make a plain Arial title (I rarely need to do more with Titles anyway).. but I can't find any way of centering it quickly. Back on the old title tool, there was Cmd+Shift+C. Also, the old tool was far easier. I thought this would be fixed by now with Titler+.

Anyone know of a way?

Mac Pro 2019 OSX & Windows 10 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 13 2020 1:55 PM In reply to

• CinéMatica
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 24 2014
    • Belgium | Europe
    • Posts 189
    • Points 2,205

Ben,

In the EFFECTS PALETTE under JUSTIFICATION you can center your title horizontally and vertically.

I'm on a Windows machine, but I guess this will be working on a Mac too.

Hope this helps!

(Avid 1) HP Z840 | 2x 18 Core Intel Xeon E5-2699v3 / 2.3GHz 35MB | 128GB PC4-17000P 2133MHz / 8x 16GB DDR4 | NVIDIA Quadro P4000 / 8GB GDDR5 / 4x DP 5K... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 13 2020 7:28 PM In reply to

• jcmcnamee
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Brooklyn, NY
    • Posts 281
    • Points 2,970

Having had to use Titler+ for the first time in a long while, I think the controlls really need to be either all in that Titler+ window that pops up or in the Effect Editor. Having the functionality in both places is really hard to use and confusing and cluttered.

And text selection is so terrible in it still. It's too easy to skew text you've typed when just trying to select it.

UGH I haven't tried this tool since the original release and it seems just as bad as then in terms of useability. It's just so so awful and poorly thought through.

The rest of MC2020 though I am really liking.

CinéMatica:

Ben,

In the EFFECTS PALETTE under JUSTIFICATION you can center your title horizontally and vertically.

I'm on a Windows machine, but I guess this will be working on a Mac too.

Hope this helps!

Media Composer 2020.6 / OS 10.15.5 27" iMac 5K 2017 [4.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 64 GB ram, Radeon Pro 580 8 GB] [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 13 2020 8:08 PM In reply to

Yes, well (previous two contributors) - it is the Effect Editor that you mean, of course. And I entirely agree. Someone thought (nay, was obessed)  ... 'Great idea - let's do it all in the Eff Ed ...' but as has been mentioned, you need to switch to the T+ window sometimes which unhelpfully vanishes. And I am so used to using the Esc key to switch between text editing and selecting a text box (not just the old TT but other applications, too) that having to REALLLLY CAREFULLLLY click around what you've just entered to select it is a pain and slows things right down. The old way of Title Tool/Marquee/Photoshop etc created a clip you could then manipulate in the Eff Ed. What's not to like about the old way? Grr.

iMac i5 27", 40GB RAM, OS 10.14.6 with Symphony 2020.6, BlackMagic mini monitor. MacBook Pro, 16GB RAM with OS 10.14.6 with MC 2018.12.12 and BMD... [view my complete system specs]

With best wishes, Roger Shufflebottom

ACI, Technical Tutor (Editing), Faculty of Media and Communication, Bournemouth University, Dorset, UK

• Mon, Jul 13 2020 8:20 PM In reply to

• jcmcnamee
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Brooklyn, NY
    • Posts 281
    • Points 2,970

Yes

Roger Shufflebottom:

Grr.

Media Composer 2020.6 / OS 10.15.5 27" iMac 5K 2017 [4.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 64 GB ram, Radeon Pro 580 8 GB] [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 13 2020 8:22 PM In reply to

It has become painfully clear from all the posts since Titler+ was released (and from my own user experience) that Titler+ is a turkey.    Yet Avid keeps doubling-down on a tool that doesn't work and no one likes.   How hard can it be to simply re-code the old Title Tool to work in 4K?   I'm mostly working in 4K these days and do all my titles in Photoshop because Titler+ was not up to the job.  Occasionally when I go back to a 1080p project, it's a joy to quickly and painlessly knock out a graphic in Title Tool.   Marquee, for all it's quirks, was also light years ahead of Titler+ in ease of use and reliability.   Please Avid, just give us the old reliable TT and Marquee in 4K!

MC 2018.12.3 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

Page 5 of 10 (150 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller