Latest post Tue, May 26 2020 12:08 PM by Film35HD. 55 replies.
Page 3 of 4 (56 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jun 28 2019 4:03 PM In reply to

Re: Avid Titler+ - The good, the not-so-good and the ugly...

Look at the NewBlue titler. Much improved since first release. Good for UHD.

iMac i5 27", 40GB RAM, OS 10.15.3 with Symphony 2019.12, BlackMagic mini monitor. MacBook Pro, 16GB RAM with OS 10.13.6 with MC 2018.12.12 and BMD... [view my complete system specs]

With best wishes, Roger Shufflebottom

ACI, Technical Tutor (Editing), Faculty of Media and Communication, Bournemouth University, Dorset, UK

• Fri, Jun 28 2019 4:16 PM In reply to

Roger Shufflebottom:

Good to know.   When I tried it a couple of years ago, it crashed more times than a jalopy in the demoliton derby.

MC 2018.12.3 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Tue, Nov 5 2019 10:09 AM In reply to

"The impression I have is that it was not thought out from a user perspective, the result is nowhere near as intuitive as it should be for software today. "

Wait...you expected Avid to come out with something that would be intuitive? If they had, it would go against the core principle of Avid, which is to design tools that work as unintuitive as humanly possible. The only thing Avid has going for it over Premiere is the same thing that Windows has over Macs: it has more powerful tools and it is more customizable than Premiere just like Windows has more powerful (depending on your computer of course) and is more customizable than Mac OS.

But if you want software that is intuitive, Premiere is hands down more intuitive and better designed with many functions made faster and easier than Avid. If only they would swallow their pride and apply some of them. I think the new Avid interface is a step in that direction, even though I do miss some of the old interface's layout. 

But yeah, if I was to summarize the new titler + I would say that it sucks.

Avid MC 2019.8.0 | Mac Pro 2012 | 12-Core 3.33 GHz Intel Xeon | 64GB RAM | Nvidia GTX 1080ti | Blackmagic Design Decklink 8K | 500GB Sandisk Pro PCIe... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 5 2019 2:41 PM In reply to

Joshua King Ortiz:
    Wait...you expected Avid to come out with something that would be intuitive? If they had, it would go against the core principle of Avid, which is to design tools that work as unintuitive as humanly possible.

I have always found MC very intuitive, but maybe that's the result of over twenty years of muscle memory developed by working with the software.   My problem with Titler+ is not that it's counter-intuitive.   My problem with Titler+ is the darn thing doesn't work...and there's no documentation on how to learn it.  

I've learned counter-intuitive programs with a steep learning curve over the years, but there have been resources that helped me learn it until the program became intuitive with use.   When I first jumped into Photoshop, there were a lot of things that were counter-intuitive ("Place" instead of "Paste" for example) but now it's second nature.  The early versions of BCC were not easy to learn, but Boris put out a lot of great tutorials and now I'm very comfortable using this powerful plug-in.  

Avid needs to put out a fast 4K titler that works and support it with documentation.   Is that too much to ask?

MC 2018.12.3 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Tue, Nov 5 2019 7:23 PM In reply to

I've moaned about this and I think they have been making incremental improvements but it is slow and clunky to use. I now see why it was introduced due to the imminent demise of NewBlue Titler Pro (which I had got used to!). As someone else said, many fonts just don't work in T+. And it's like two sets of programmers were given different tasks - one did the T+ initial window and one did the implementation in the Effect Editor. It is a pain to use. NBT Pro is so much better but why do we have to pay a  *discounted* price to get something that is actually fairly logical to use? And I miss the old Title Tool ability to make new clips rather than effect templates. And to finally nail my retro leanings, I like Marquee!

iMac i5 27", 40GB RAM, OS 10.15.3 with Symphony 2019.12, BlackMagic mini monitor. MacBook Pro, 16GB RAM with OS 10.13.6 with MC 2018.12.12 and BMD... [view my complete system specs]

With best wishes, Roger Shufflebottom

ACI, Technical Tutor (Editing), Faculty of Media and Communication, Bournemouth University, Dorset, UK

• Wed, Nov 6 2019 12:11 AM In reply to

Roger Shufflebottom:
    And to finally nail my retro leanings, I like Marquee!

I was a Marquee fan, too.  Back in the day, it was quite capable yet simple and easy to use.   If Avid had stuck with it and continued to develop Marquee, who knows how powerful it would be by now.   Heck, if Marquee supported 4K, I'd still be using it.

• Thu, Nov 7 2019 10:19 PM In reply to

Roger Shufflebottom:

I've moaned about this and I think they have been making incremental improvements but it is slow and clunky to use. I now see why it was introduced due to the imminent demise of NewBlue Titler Pro (which I had got used to!). As someone else said, many fonts just don't work in T+. And it's like two sets of programmers were given different tasks - one did the T+ initial window and one did the implementation in the Effect Editor. It is a pain to use. NBT Pro is so much better but why do we have to pay a  *discounted* price to get something that is actually fairly logical to use? And I miss the old Title Tool ability to make new clips rather than effect templates. And to finally nail my retro leanings, I like Marquee!

Well, "imminent demise" might be a bit of an exaggeration, we have no intention of discontinuing Titler Pro or dropping support for Media Composer. Of course it will not come included with Media Composer anymore.

One thing I will add for anyone that wants to keep using Titler Pro but perhaps doesn't want to immediately buy it outright, Titler Pro 7 comes in our TotalFX package which you can get by subscription: https://www.newbluefx.com/products/totalfx/#pricingAnchor

• Mon, Nov 25 2019 8:32 PM In reply to

• hartfilms
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 16 2005
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 151
    • Points 1,565

On 2018.12.3 and I totally agree that making Title+ and Pan&Zoom more user friendly would be at the very top of my wishlist. That said, I like the choices in the end-quality of the image that's available in Avid Pan&Zoom. 

MC 2018.12.3 - HP Z440: Intel Xeon E5-1650v3 3.50GHz 15MB 2133 6C CPU; G8U34AV 32GB DDR4-2133 (4x8GB) RegRAM; NVIDIA Quadro K2200 4GB DL-DVI(I)+2xDP 1st... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 25 2019 8:42 PM In reply to

• hartfilms
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 151
    • Points 1,565

Terry Snyder:

Roger Shufflebottom:

Good to know.   When I tried it a couple of years ago, it crashed more times than a jalopy in the demoliton derby.

It's still crashing - TP7 with 2018.12.3.

MC 2018.12.3 - HP Z440: Intel Xeon E5-1650v3 3.50GHz 15MB 2133 6C CPU; G8U34AV 32GB DDR4-2133 (4x8GB) RegRAM; NVIDIA Quadro K2200 4GB DL-DVI(I)+2xDP 1st... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 27 2019 5:59 PM In reply to

hartfilms:

Hi Jaysari,

We really do appreciate your patience, and thank you for working with our support team on your Titler Pro 7 issues. This should ultimately help us make Titler Pro a more reliable and stable program for everyone.

• Wed, Nov 27 2019 7:41 PM In reply to

• hartfilms
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 151
    • Points 1,565

Marcus Johnson:

hartfilms:

Hi Jaysari,

We really do appreciate your patience, and thank you for working with our support team on your Titler Pro 7 issues. This should ultimately help us make Titler Pro a more reliable and stable program for everyone.

Happy to help in any way I can. My post was merely an update for other users, not intended to be critical of NB. We all want the same outcome--your success and ours. Meanwhile I'm making do with Title+ Sad

• Wed, May 20 2020 2:43 AM In reply to

• Film35HD
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jan 26 2014
    • Posts 10
    • Points 100

*** BUG FOUND IN AVID TITLER + (MC 2018.12.10 [Jan 2020] and 2018.12.11 [Apr/May 2020 release]) -

MAC (System 5,1; OS Sierra or High Sierra / 12core / 96GB DDR3 1.3 GHz RAM / nVidia GeForce GTX 780 3GB VRAM)

Hello Avid. 

BUG: AVID TITLER + / "LEADING" (vertical spacing between multiple lines of text) will NOT stick when you set it to anything other than DEFAULT "0."  It will constantly revert to ZERO when you set it to 6, or 10, or whatever.

We spent all day in MC 2018.12.11 [Apr/May 2020 release] and AVID TITLER + does have workflow issues.  We have screen recorded our process to show this and I will ask Michael Krulik for feedback when he sees the short video.  Right now, we found the LEADING bug, which makes it a non-starter to replace TP6 from NewBlueFX.

After having fatal errors in NewBlueFX's TITLER PRO 6  suddenly come-up in the last six months after Avid MC 2018.12.8 thru 2018.12.10 (Jan 2020 release), we have made very exhaustive demo videos showing the methodology and workflow problems.  To their credit - even though TP6 is a 'dead' product – they have engaged their Developer to find the malicious bug I call the CYAN SCREEN OF DEATH ("Please re-boot the NLE" (Avid)) comes up the next day – when you left the SEQuence timeline fully rendered and fine the night before!).

They have given me a new version TP 7 – but that has even more problems in the last 4-6 months – amongst which Ver 7 constantly crashes Avid MC. 

Worse, they have changed the workflow and FORCE you to "SAVE" a title as a NewBlue DATA file, even if you have the PLUG-INs on the Timeline saved, or dragged those PLUG-INs during EFX EDITING into a BIN, which is already saved.  This is a MAJOR CHANGE from previous Titler Pro's, which DID NOT FORCE YOU TO SAVE.  This stops you because you've got to come-up with a NAME for each file, even if you ACCIDENTALLY opened a title plug-in, and found there was no typo to fix, so you close the window.  You'll get stopped with a query-window.  Answer that, and yet ANOTHER WINDOW pops up.  Then, a nightmare: Some selections you make get 'stuck' in an ENDLESS LOOP!  You can't get out of it, no matter what option you choose from that point.  Because it has arrested control from AVID MC, you have to Force-Quit CRASH the AVID (losing your work), because Titler Pro 7 has NOT CEDED CONTROL back to Media Composer. 

Caleb at NewBlue thinks that the 'ENDLESS LOOP' of you clicking an option on a query-window (SAVE, CANCEL, DON'T SAVE) is really TP7 finding that a previous version's title was never saved in the first place – since they've designed TP7 to FORCE you to save, it repeats asking you via the pop-up window because it is saving EACH INDIVIDUAL TITLE in a project.  I had 188 DATA files generated.  So I have to click "DON'T SAVE" 188 times to get out of this 'LOOP?!!!' before I can get back to Avid and continue editing?!  If you are going to force a user to do this, where's the AUTOMATION of this process, and a PROGRESS BAR STATUS so you don't think the program has crashed?  Keep in mind you may have made NO CHANGE to a title and just want to 'ESCAPE' out and go back to editing.  In TP7's new workflow, you can't.

On Mac systems – especially legacy Cheese Grater towers (System 5,1) on Sierra or High Sierra macOS, the cursor in TP7 is also "stubborn" and won't show-up for awhile during a TITLE EDIT – like when you want to correct a single-letter typo.  You may have to click 20 times before the cursor appears.  This worked flawlessly in previous version TP6.

I have lectured their techs and designers that they have to think like Editors – NOT like engineers/coders – and they really should have A and B-list NETWORK, Broadcast CG/Graphics and Editors sit with their team before/during the design process.  Typing a few titles for a "DEMO" is one thing – typing sub-titles or lyrics for 12-hour days and adding mouse moves, menus, clicks, constant query window pop-ups... done repeatedly for 2,000 times – is where engineers have to learn to MINIMIZE mouse roll movement and menus and constant SPEED BUMP/TIME WASTERS.

Another issue is TP7 like previous Titler Pro versions DEFAULT to a "SHARED/LINKED/RELATIVE" workflow.  You have to OPT-OUT of that for each title page.  I scolded NewBlue: The default should be UN-SHARED/NON-LINK and to have the user choose to OPT-IN.  If you typed 75 titles today for a CNN broadcast tomorrow and all is fine, then the next day, an editor or asst. comes in and changes the font on just 1 of those pages, all 74 other pages CHANGE!  Everything goes out of whack.  There is no "Un-Do!"  You go LIVE in 10 minutes... you're screwed.  Again, engineers not consulting with the people at the front line of the war – and maybe talking to non-Broadcast 'wedding' or YouTube skateboard kid editors (not to demean any of those artists).

TP7 is having issues with TP6 (and possibly all legacy titles, which then makes it useless if it will only play nice with TP7 titles).

Worse, suddenly, 99% of the time, Titler Pro 6 won't even boot within Avid anymore, even with a total, CLEAN re-install.  This is where all the cache, Preferences, Library code written during installation is removed (per instructions from NewBlue).  Only TP 7 will, and we've done 45 minutes+ of demos to show its problems and lack of thought in design/workflow.

We've concluded after weeks that TP7 has to be overhauled – not only to squat bugs - but to take out changes that were poorly thought through.  We'll make the video available in the near future if NewBlue fails to make the changes.  For now, we've finished nearly 1,000 videos with Titler Pro 6 titles that we can't edit/change, because of the CYAN SCREEN OF DEATH bug which disables TP6 completly.  That bug will also REMOVE ALL RENDERS of titles, even if you are editing just one title plug-in!

• Wed, May 20 2020 6:40 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,124
    • Points 230,130
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Keoni....

You can always create a case and escalate this.    I am doing that now for you.

Case # 03949904

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Thu, May 21 2020 7:01 AM In reply to

• Film35HD
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jan 26 2014
    • Posts 10
    • Points 100

Thank you.  You had already done that before this post.

I posted it to the public to help other Avid users, so they'd avoid problems or enlighten me if they found workarounds.

:)

• Thu, May 21 2020 1:24 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,124
    • Points 230,130
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

NO worries Keoni.....   Your handle (Film35HD) threw me off and I didnt know this was you until I looked it up :)

Hope you are well my friend.  Miss you.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

Page 3 of 4 (56 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller