Latest post Fri, Jan 4 2019 5:44 PM by Telegram!. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Dec 20 2018 4:47 PM

• Adrian Redmond
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 28 2014
    • Channel 6 Television Denmark
    • Posts 180
    • Points 2,535

Off-topic YouTube question

This hasn't really anything to do with Avid, but maybe another editor out there has a neat fix for this....

I do a lot of my research, and even more of my spare time chilling watching YouTube - often old TV-series from the UK that are only available here - but as a TV pro it constantly annoys me that many (really many) videos are uploaded to YouTube with the wrong aspect ratio - most often 4:3 productions that are encoded as 16:9.

There are also, for some reason, many older 4:3 productions where the upload only captured a zoomed in version of the top right of the screen, with the 4:3 frame filled, but cropping the bottom and left side.

I realise that this is a problem caused by the original uploader - and certainly cropped video data can never be restored from the available data - but what about 4:3 that has been stretched to 16:9 in error. Is there a simple fix or feature, or a third-party app, that allows one to watch incorrectly framed YT videos in the correct format?

I have long wondered why YT simply doesn't add a menu-fix that allows users to automatically or manually reformat their viewer to compensate - there must be others who ask this question?

And - equally off-topic - I won't even ask how one can persuade smart- and I-phone users to turn their phone into the 16:9 landscape format - I cringe at the thought of how much culturally and historically potentially valuable archive material out there is ruined (or at least damaged) by this curious habit). I'm sure I'm not the first editor to have this as a pet hate? (Maybe one day some smart smartphone manufacturer will add a feature that forces the user to film in landscape format, unless they disable the feature? :)

Seasons greetings to all in MC land :)

Avid Media Composer v. 8.5.3. with Symphony Option on HP Z820 Dual Intel E5-2640 6-core HT 2.5GHz CPU 32GB RAM NVidia Quadro K4000 Graphics on Win7x64... [view my complete system specs]

Adrian Redmond
    Owner / Producer / Editor
    Channel 6 Television Denmark

• Fri, Dec 21 2018 10:24 AM In reply to

• gswilson
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 4 2010
    • Belfast, Ireland - now, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
    • Posts 339
    • Points 4,455

Re: Off-topic YouTube question

I've used Sorenson Squeeze quite a lot for reformating such footage, as SS is no longer available TMPGEnc Master Works is a good alternative.

MC 2020.10, Win 10 Pro(2004), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, Nvidia GTX 1080Ti GPU(Studio Driver 456.71),Samsung 850 Pro... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Dec 21 2018 5:30 PM In reply to

I am saying this for years and once again without being paid or anything like that.

TMPGEnc is the best encoder of all.

Desktop PC

Corsair RM750X|Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)|i7 2600K@4.4|Corsair 32G DDR3|PNY Quadro P2000(442.92)|Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB|2x1TB Crucial MX500@RAID 0|2x500GB Mushkin SSD@RAID 0|LG BH16NS40|W10 Pro 64bit|Media Composer Software 2020.6 with Symphony Option on Dongle|2xHP 22'' Monitors|M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Tue, Dec 25 2018 9:54 AM In reply to

• JonnyL
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • UK
    • Posts 182
    • Points 2,430

Talking of pet hates, what about old interlaced footage that is not correctly resized to HD causing jagged lines.?  I see it all the time on broadcast TV - so lazy!

Asus X299, i7 7820, Nvidia 2000M 32GB ram, NVME SSD 8.9.1 ( yes its very fast!) [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 4 2019 3:10 AM In reply to

• Adman
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Atlanta Georgia, USA
    • Posts 5,432
    • Points 61,250
    • BlogAuthor
      Moderator: Avid Free DV
      Moderator: Avid Xpress DV PC
      Moderator: Avid Xpress Studio
      Moderator: MCA PC

Adrian Redmond:

And - equally off-topic - I won't even ask how one can persuade smart- and I-phone users to turn their phone into the 16:9 landscape format -

I couldn't agree more... also when musicians use their smartphones to stream a live performance and do it in portrait... grrr.

Mac Pro, 64GB Ram. 1TB SSD system drive, 250Gb SSD external (media) drive. QHD Ultra wide, thunderbolt LG monitor, MC 2019.12.1. Pro Tools 11 HD (Mbox... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 4 2019 5:44 PM In reply to

There’s an app called Horizon that records a horizontal sized frame even if you manage to turn your iPhone 360 degrees while shooting.

I wish my phone’s sensor was mounted 90 degrees to always shoot horizontally when I shoot vertically-held and that I could see its full-size but smaller “viewfinder” image superimposed over partial, swipe-able full image above/below. 

Pet peeve: I think scale/cropping archival footage to 16x9 is a crime against history and the TV producers who force editors to do that belong behind sidebars!

Squeeze v11 EOL-Pro Sony BM2100 Telecine with variable speed controller Casio VL-Tone, CZ-101, LCD watch AJA i/o Express with Express Card Slot Ignite... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller