Latest post Thu, Jun 18 2020 6:35 AM by Telegram!. 26 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Apr 3 2020 5:41 AM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London
    • Posts 1,251
    • Points 14,130

Re: Insert Edit Export - Real world reviews?

Plus they are offering one month free atm - https://cinedeck.com/cinextools-blog/remote-editing-workflow/

iMac 5K on High Sierra MC 2020.5, HP z420 MC 2020.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 3 2020 9:52 AM In reply to

• Mercer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 15 2010
    • UK
    • Posts 513
    • Points 6,545

TrevorA:

And then have to QC the whole file again? Versus checking the drop-in?

Depends how much you need it, obvs

You have a valid point but presumably if you can afford the enterprise pricing of this tool you may already have the QC tools necessary too. It makes sense for a busy online facility but when I deliver AS-11, the QC is farmed out or is done by the broadcaster.

We were involved in the early development of AS-11 through the BBC opensource INgex and BMXTools and had our own working version using the DPP metadata app, before even Avid had incorporated it. It's a long time since we stopped having to do that but I resent enterprise pricing sometimes. The same with DCPs - I am a sponsor of DCP-O-Matic - which is a wonderful free project, at least on a par with some of the crazy priced commercial alternatives.

Having said that if you do need to reinsert urgently and Avid is not reliable then yes the 1 hour option could make absolute sense, so yes I see your point.

MC with Symphony option, 2020.4, HP ZBook 17 G5, i7-8850H 6 core/64GB ram/512 M2 ssd/Nvidia Quadro P3200/FHD, HP Thunderbolt Dock G2, BMD Ultrastudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 3 2020 11:08 AM In reply to

TrevorA:

Mercer:

At $2695 per year, to include AS11 or $29 per hour (10 mins extra to install), I think I'd rather stick to Avid or just rexport the online

And then have to QC the whole file again? Versus checking the drop-in?

Depends how much you need it, obvs

Exactly. For time pressured deliveries the ability to avoid the the whole QC process and knowing you won't find issues that weren't there last export is almost pricesless. if as an operator your times not worth $29 per hour then maybe not.

But my times valuable and where I can I'll use solutions that save me time. leaving me time to earn more.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hostred Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Fri, Apr 3 2020 11:43 AM In reply to

Just tried an insert to a pre exported DPP AS-11 on my 2019 system and  it failed so no I don't think Avid supports inserts to DPP AS-11s (I have requested it over a year ago)

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hostred Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Fri, Apr 3 2020 1:05 PM In reply to

• Mercer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 15 2010
    • UK
    • Posts 513
    • Points 6,545

Pat Horridge:
    But my times valuable and where I can I'll use solutions that save me time. leaving me time to earn more.

I think everyone's time is valuable but if some had paid enterprise prices for AS-11 delivery before Avid introduced it they would be a little miffed now. If I am delivering AS-11, there is money in the online for QC, PSE etc, to be farmed out. A large facility will have it's own. The ability to insert edit at $29, for me, still leaves this QC requirement and so a tight deadline will not be particularly furthered unless you also have that facility in house.

MC with Symphony option, 2020.4, HP ZBook 17 G5, i7-8850H 6 core/64GB ram/512 M2 ssd/Nvidia Quadro P3200/FHD, HP Thunderbolt Dock G2, BMD Ultrastudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 3 2020 2:29 PM In reply to

TrevorA:

I'm pretty sure XDcam isn't covered (yet).

Yes it does work on a duplicate of your sequence (or any sequence that is the same exact duration - plus audio tracks should match).

i think it does insert to an AS11 these days (essence only, not metadata)

Yes you can do an invisible audio and/or video drop in.

I have a few more "low-end" questions, about basics regarding this File Insert feature.

The main question I have is whether File Insert works with v2018.12.10 Exported HDCam 50 XDCam mxfs.

Your view was not at this time.

OK, so I ask you and Pat and anyone at all:  what's the difference between XDCam HD 50Mbits MXF which I can access from the Avid Media Processor vs. The OP1a MXF export which does not offer an XDCam HD 50Mbits among its Video Compression choices? Is it just ownership of codec, etc.?

Would they be the same spec and importantly, file size if I had the Nablet XDCam Plug-in installed?

(is that Nablet plug-in free to download and install? And must I carefully consider any downsides, e.g. compatibility with other MC systems, before doing so?) I'll take any good reason not to install it-- but I'm not sure lack of MC File Insert is one of them.

Also:

This is what I see in my Console after  using:

AMA_listplugins

AMA PLUG-IN NAME COMPANY NAME VERSION

-------------------------------------------------------------------

AVCHD MSP Plug-In Avid Technology, Inc. 1.5.4.10170

AVCHD MVP Plug-In Avid Technology, Inc. 1.5.4.10170

MediaCollector MVP Plug-In Avid Technology, Inc. 2.2.3.10170

Avid MediaProcessor Plug-In Avid Technology, Inc. 1.0.43.10024

Avid OPAtom MSP Plug-In Avid Technology, Inc. 2.2.3.10170

Avid Generic Plug-In Avid Technology, Inc. 3.4.9.10135

Avid Generic Plug-In Avid Technology, Inc. 2.6.0.10041

QuickTime Plug-In Avid Technology, Inc. 1.9.4.10170

AS-02 Plug-In Avid Technology, Inc. 1.12.0.10177

AS-11 Plug-In Avid Technology, Inc. 1.9.6.10172

Avid Image Sequencer Plug-In Avid Technology, Inc. 1.4.2.10170

MSP_MXF Plug-In Avid Technology, Inc. 1.22.6.10170

WaveAiff Plug-In Avid Technology, Inc. 1.8.4.10172

-----

Is anything missing or incorrect? Why are there TWO of thes? It is entirely possible that I have a later version from an install of a 2019.xx version still lingering. If so, can I get rid of it? Should I get rid of it?

Avid Generic Plug-In Avid Technology, Inc. 3.4.9.10135

Avid Generic Plug-In Avid Technology, Inc. 2.6.0.10041

I'm using this MC version now:  v2018.12.10 pc

Last Question: (yeah, right.)

Can we used File Insert on the ENTIRE target MXF and if so, would it provide a kind of "Power Relink" where after successful insert is accomplished, any other Sequences of the same size that had used that original (target) MXF would be subsequently able to Relink (or simply change) to the newly full-inserted mxf file. (assuming the original mxf was used as a Link in those prior sequences).

Squeeze v11 EOL-Pro Sony BM2100 Telecine with variable speed controller Casio VL-Tone, CZ-101, LCD watch AJA i/o Express with Express Card Slot Ignite... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Apr 18 2020 9:03 PM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 1,251
    • Points 14,130

Mercer:

TrevorA:

CineXTools is a much more complete package, but an extra cost.

At $2695 per year, to include AS11 or $29 per hour (10 mins extra to install), I think I'd rather stick to Avid or just rexport the online

They've reupped their 30 day Covid trial - avail until April 30th now

https://cinedeck.com/cinextools-blog/remote-editing-workflow/

iMac 5K on High Sierra MC 2020.5, HP z420 MC 2020.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Apr 18 2020 9:03 PM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 1,251
    • Points 14,130

Mercer:

TrevorA:

CineXTools is a much more complete package, but an extra cost.

They've reupped their 30 day Covid trial - avail until April 30th now

https://cinedeck.com/cinextools-blog/remote-editing-workflow/

• Sun, Apr 26 2020 9:18 AM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 1,251
    • Points 14,130

TrevorA:

In further testing it seems that it only inserts *video* to an AS11 file. It seems to do that successfully (although there is an error message at the end & a lot of error messages in the console). 

Be great if Avid gave this a little more love. Probably need a few more folks clamouring for it though.

In other news Cinedeck are releasing an AS11 metadata only insert app in May

• Mon, Apr 27 2020 6:32 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,696
    • Points 44,450

TrevorA:

TrevorA:

In further testing it seems that it only inserts *video* to an AS11 file. It seems to do that successfully (although there is an error message at the end & a lot of error messages in the console).

For what it is worth, I have never been able to insert an audio track into even a simple MXF Op1a file.

And I have had random failures with video inserts for which I can find no reasons.  When the tool works it is great.  But it always feels like a crap shoot.  I hope there is more effort put into this.

There are some independent developers making inroads into this area.  http://mogurenko.com/  Good for them!  But I would feel better if Avid supports this.

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.12.9|OS 10.14.x - iMac Pro 2019 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Thu, Jun 18 2020 5:29 AM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 1,251
    • Points 14,130

Telegram!:

Can we used File Insert on the ENTIRE target MXF and if so, would it provide a kind of "Power Relink" where after successful insert is accomplished, any other Sequences of the same size that had used that original (target) MXF would be subsequently able to Relink (or simply change) to the newly full-inserted mxf file. (assuming the original mxf was used as a Link in those prior sequences).

Avid has a hard time dealing with linked clips that are then modified. If you clear source & record monitors , then go to site settings | media cache and flush video & file caches, you *might* get an updated file to show changes. Chances are you'll get errors and/or media offline.

They need to put some work in IMO

• Thu, Jun 18 2020 6:35 AM In reply to

Thanks for your reply and ever sage advice, Trevor.

I've been staring at my question like a goat and I have no clue what it was driving at. Lol.

I do like the phrase "Power Relink", though.

Squeeze v11 EOL-Pro Sony BM2100 Telecine with variable speed controller Casio VL-Tone, CZ-101, LCD watch AJA i/o Express with Express Card Slot Ignite... [view my complete system specs]
Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller