Latest post Mon, Dec 11 2017 7:26 PM by Terry Snyder. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Dec 10 2017 6:01 PM

Upgrade Question?

I've asked this before but can't remember the procedure...   I know I have to deactivate my existing license, install the lastest version of MC and then reactivate.   But I can't remember if I have to uninstall the current version (8.6.1) before installing the latest version?

Also, will this effect my plug-ins?   I have the Tiffen DFX plug-in currently installed with 8.6

Thanks.

MC 2018.12.3 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Sun, Dec 10 2017 8:11 PM In reply to

Re: Upgrade Question?

Call me reckless, but I've never deactivated or uninstalled anything when upgrading. I just run the installer. Never had a problem with activation, plug-ins, or anything else.

Media Composer 2020.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sun, Dec 10 2017 8:33 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,737
    • Points 67,310

Renewed my licenses in november (one software activated, one on a dongle), while running MC 8.9.2, and the software kept working with no need to deactivate/reactivate. When installing 8.9.4, which came out after my renewal, I have had to blast the dongle with the new dongle updater file downloaded from 'My products', and have had to deactivate/reactivate the software license in order to run MC 8.9.4.

Symphony 20.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Mon, Dec 11 2017 2:02 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,384
    • Points 233,290
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Terry

Carl and Luca are correct..... one thing to check is your plug-ins and make sure that they are compatible with the OS if you update that and MC 8.9.x

Marianna

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Dec 11 2017 7:26 PM In reply to

Marianna:
    one thing to check is your plug-ins and make sure that they are compatible with the OS if you update that

Still on Win 7 Pro.   I only recently bought and installed the Tiffen DFX plug-in so hopefully that should be fine.

Thanks!

MC 2018.12.3 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller