Latest post Thu, Jan 14 2021 1:32 AM by Telegram!. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Nov 27 2017 11:02 AM

Collapsing clips and transforming without affecting the layer below

I am aware that there are seemingly dozens of posts on this but after all of the googling nothing seems to work.

What I have is a background video track on V1. Nothing on V2. A lower third paint effect background on V3. And a text layer with the lower third name on in V4.

What I want to be able to do is group the text and text background layers together and slowly expand them, without affecting the background layer on V1.

For all of the 'stepping in', 'collapsing' and everything else I'm reading about nothing seems to work.

Is there a way for this to be achieved?

Thanks

Mac Pro 2 x 2.8 GHx Quad-Core Intel Xeon, OSX 10.8.5, 14 GB DDR2 FB-DIMM, NVidia Geforce GTX 680 Symphony V 7.0.3, Blackmagic Decklink SDI, pcif1d0... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 27 2017 2:56 PM In reply to

Re: Collapsing clips and transforming without affecting the layer below

I'm sure there's a more efficient way, but I'll be damned if I can remember it. So in lieu of a better answer I'd promote both the lower third background and the text to 3d, and then do the move to one of them and just copy the X,Y,Z parameters (or whatever parameter you're using to do whatever you're trying to do) from that one to the other one.

Media Composer 2020.12 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Nov 27 2017 7:04 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,512
    • Points 234,840
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

what version are you on?

Marianna

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Dec 1 2017 12:19 PM In reply to

HI Marianna

I'm on 8.6.5

Thanks 

Mac Pro 2 x 2.8 GHx Quad-Core Intel Xeon, OSX 10.8.5, 14 GB DDR2 FB-DIMM, NVidia Geforce GTX 680 Symphony V 7.0.3, Blackmagic Decklink SDI, pcif1d0... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Dec 1 2017 12:20 PM In reply to

Thanks. I can't quite believe that this is the best way too but Avid is strange sometimes with effects I think.

• Wed, Jan 13 2021 11:03 PM In reply to

• Michael Watts
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 15 2015
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Posts 6
    • Points 80

I have this same question and have for a while.  Say I create a multi-layer bug or logo and want to resize it with one stroke as opposed to going into each layer and doing the resizes individually.  Is there any way to do this?  I've tried collapsing but a Resize, 3D or PIP effect will transform the entire scene.  

Thanks,

Michael

2019 27" iMac Retina 5K 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9 128 GB Ram 2667 MHz DDR4 Radeon Pro Vega 48 8 GB [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 13 2021 11:10 PM In reply to

Hi Michael,

Nothing has changed. Sorry I don't have a better answer.

Media Composer 2020.12 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Thu, Jan 14 2021 1:32 AM In reply to

StephenSF1:

nothing seems to work.

...background layers together and slowly expand them, without affecting the background layer on V1.

Is there a way for this to be achieved?

Thanks

Sounds like this example may help you out:

https://community.avid.com/forums/p/184062/855899.aspx#855899

It shows a way to move an Animatte-ed image with 3D Warp FXs over an unaffected background.

Squeeze v11 EOL-Pro Sony BM2100 Telecine with variable speed controller Casio VL-Tone, CZ-101, LCD watch AJA i/o Express with Express Card Slot Ignite... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller