Latest post Mon, Feb 15 2021 3:22 PM by luca.mg. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jun 24 2017 4:06 PM

• delgadob
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Sep 16 2007
    • Pembroke Pines, Florida
    • Posts 161
    • Points 2,495

How I Do It - Deleting Project in a PC

Below is a step by step instruction to accomplish a task in Avid’s Media Composer.
    It is NOT a scientific explanation, it might not make sense to advanced users, but at least will allow those in need of help to accomplish the specified task.
    The good thing about Media Composer is that you can reach the same results in different ways.
    The bad thing about Media Comopser is that you can reach the same results in different ways.
    This is just ONE way which has worked for me.
    Hope it helps you!

Deleting a Project
    To remove a project from your system there are several steps needed.
    You must:

1-. Open the project you wish to delete in Avid.

2-. Go to Tool > Media Tool
    In the Media Tool Display, on the left screen select the drive where your project is located.
    On the right screen, select the project.
    Below those two screen, click to place a checkmark next to the icons:

Master Clips
            Precompute clips
            Media Files

All three must be checkmarked

Then click OK

A new window will open where the names of the clips that belong to that specific project will be displayed.
    Select all of them and click on Delete.

3-. Close Avid.

4-. Go to C:\(*) > Users > user > My Documents > Avid Projects
    The project will appear. 
    Right-Click to se lect the one I want to delete.
    Click on Delete.

5-. Go to D:\(**) > Avid Media files
          Double click on MXF
          Double click on 1
          Do a CONTROL + A to select all, then hit Delete.

6-. On the Desktop delete all files (clips, QTM, etc.,) that you might have placed there for this project.

7-. Go to D:\ and delete all directories (folders) I have created for the given project, such as Project’s name-Music,   Project’s name-Titles,   Project’s name-Still Pixs, etc.

(*) This is the main drive in my PC.  Instead of my name, you might need to located either your name, or the specific project’s name.

(**) This is one of my storage drives in my PC.

Avid Media Composer version 6.5.4 on a PC. It has an INTE HEX CORE I7, 4930K, with 4 TB of internal storage,Intel cooling system for I7, 32 GB of memory... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 26 2017 12:25 PM In reply to

Re: How I Do It - Deleting Project in a PC

On a PC, there's a program called MDV that makes this process much easier. Plenty of posts in the forum about MDV...

MC 6.0.4,Gateway FX6800, i7 920 Processor, Windows 10 Pro (upgraded from Win 7 Pro 64 SP1), 6gb Ram, GeForce GT 710 (2gb), 2 JVC HM170U Camcorders, 1 Canon... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 26 2017 12:38 PM In reply to

Another useful "how to" posting. Just a couple of points.

On a PC its generally back form to use the deskop space for storage (its part of your boot drive and user specific so not helpful in a larger work environment)

The D: drive may not be the location of those resources. Users should have created a structure for resources and shoudl ensure they are backedupbefore deleteing.

I'd also add that clearing the Avid Attic for that Project is a good step as well as it fills up with data.

But otherwise its great (oh and MDV is a MUST)

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | www.vet-training.co.uk|

• Tue, Jun 27 2017 12:55 PM In reply to

• MattB
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, May 9 2006
    • Shepperton, UK
    • Posts 482
    • Points 6,585

Unless I have misunderstood step 5 is a bit of a problem.

deleting clips and media from within avid via the media tool should make step 5 redundant. In addition, if you have other projects on the go you could inadvertantly delete media for those projects in the process.

I second (or third) the MDV route because it allows you to identify and select media in the database on project by project basis.

My twopenneth

MattB

Edit 1:- Intel Core i9 7900X msi x299-SLI-plus mobo 64GB DDR4 3000Mhx memory NVIDIA Quadro P4000 (Nvidia driver 441.12) Samsung 860PRO SSD 512GB system... [view my complete system specs]

Matt B

• Tue, Jun 27 2017 11:43 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,434
    • Points 98,215

Step 5 is more than a bit of a problem.  In my opinion it should never be used at all unless you can absolutely guarantee that all that is in that folder relates to the project that you have just deleted.

And even then you should not do it!  Use MDV.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 28 2017 4:23 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,925
    • Points 70,155

Step 5 is unnecessary and may send offline clips belonging to other projects. No need for MDV as well: the MediaTool works very well on a project at once. MDV is very useful for other tasks. I'd also display linked clips in step 2, and make sure that the relevant drives, or all the drives, are selected. But, most of all, what is the point to flood the forums with basic (and somehow inaccurate) informations, better covered in the built in help?

Symphony 21.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Mon, Feb 15 2021 12:19 PM In reply to

• Igor
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 9 2009
    • Posts 50
    • Points 475

The entire time I use the Media tool, media files from other projects are opened along with the media in the current project. Therefore, if it is simply removed, it will lead to the collapse of many other projects. Almost Avid still doesn't have its own media management tool. To transfer projects, you need to use third-party programs such as MDV or Marquis Project Parking ($).

They say that everything is allowed if you have Interplay or Media Central - without them you cannot work at full capacity. This is where corporate marketing comes in.

HP Z8 G4 Workstation, Win10prox64bit, Avid MC on Blackmagic DeckLink Studio 4K, Nvidia Quadro P5000, RAM 64 GB. [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 15 2021 2:26 PM In reply to

Media tool locates media based on the Project metadata contained in every media file.

Each project that creates a media file inserts its project name in that media file.

So selecting just your project will bring up only media files created by that project.

It won't select media clips you borrowed from other projects but it will select and then allow you to delete media clips borrowed by other projects. 

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | www.vet-training.co.uk|

• Mon, Feb 15 2021 3:22 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,925
    • Points 70,155

Igor:
    The entire time I use the Media tool, media files from other projects are opened along with the media in the current project.

This will only happen with media created by other means of MC, eg Resolve. Such media files often do not have the proper project metadata embedded, and therefore show up in the wrong project within the Media Tool.

Sure MC needs improved media management, at the moment it is stuck back at the time of tape based workflows, and better media management is a long waited for feature request.

Symphony 21.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller