Latest post Thu, Jun 22 2017 2:43 PM by Corne Scheepers. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jun 21 2017 11:00 AM

Lacie Rugged Thunderbolt connects but does not show in Explorer on PC

Perhaps other Win users have encountered this: I've got a 1TB Lacie Rugged drive with USB 3 and Thunderbolt. The drive has been formatted NTFS and shows up in My Computer as F: when connected by USB.

Because my Zbook 17 Gen3 only has Thunderbolt 3 ports I had to get a Kanex adapter to connect it to the laptop from the Lacie's legacy Thunderbolt connection. The Zbook recognises that a Thunderbolt connection has been made, but the drive itself doesn't show up in Explorer or in Device Manager. Where am I going wrong?

Any ideas? The drive and the Kanex box is quite pricey in my part of the world so obviously I would love to get this working as some high speed media storage for my laptop Avid system.

Using Win 7

Avid Media Composer 2020.4 HP ZBook 17 Gen3, i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60Ghz Win 10, 64GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 21 2017 1:57 PM In reply to

• Lukas Boeck
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 31 2015
    • Austria
    • Posts 591
    • Points 6,995

Re: Lacie Rugged Thunderbolt connects but does not show in Explorer on PC

can't tell you why you're thundebolt isn't working.

can tell you, that it won't make a speed difference unless 2 SSDs in raid 0 or HDD raid > 5 disks

usb 3 is 5 GBit/s

single hard drive is 1-2 Gbit/s

MC 2018.12.2 Cusom bulid Supermicro X9SRL-F, 32 Gig Ram, 3ware 9750 6x6TB Seagate EC Drives, LSI 9207 + LTO-7, Mojo DX, Artist Color, Flanders CM240, GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 21 2017 4:07 PM In reply to

Thanks for your reply.

I won't argue about the speeds as I'm not an expert on that. Basically if it can pump video into Media Composer without issues I'm happy. And I can always use this as a USB drive, but it would be sad not to be able to use those deliciously enticing thunderbolt ports on my laptop, especially after all the trouble I had to go to to get the Kanex adapter. I've contacted Lacie about compatibilty with Kanex. If I get a response from them I'll post back here.

Any other ideas anyone?

Avid Media Composer 2020.4 HP ZBook 17 Gen3, i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60Ghz Win 10, 64GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 22 2017 2:08 PM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 701
    • Points 8,775

You could try looking under Computer Management to see if there's any sign of the drive there. To do this...

Right click on 'Computer' icon

Select 'Manage' to open up Computer Management screen

Double click 'Storage' in centre pane

Double click on 'Disk Management (Local)

You should be presented with a list of all drives your computer can detect. If there's no drive letter next to a drive, then you won't see it in explorer. This would normally be because the drive's not formatted/partitioned etc. Check to see if your drive is there, and if so, look at the lower section, where the type/size of the partions & formatting can be viewed.

If there's no sign of the drive there, I can only think there's some device driver required to enable the drive to be seen with the Kanex adaptor. I'm not familiar with this adaptor, so can't be of much further help.

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Symphony 2018.9, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color, Avid Transport [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 22 2017 2:34 PM In reply to

Thank you for replying.

I did format the drive NTFS by using the USB 3 cable which works fine, so Windows sees it when I'm connected through USB. It's only when I connect by Thunderbolt that I have issues.

What is also strange is that the HP Thunderbolt Utility on my laptop recognizes a successful Thunderbolt connection and even the brand and type of the drive as soon as I plug in the Thunderbolt cable (see attached). It is only Windows that does not recognize the drive as a storage device.

I have a feeling this is just a setting somewhere that I'm missing... Perhaps a driver, as you mentioned. I'll try and contact Kanex.

• Thu, Jun 22 2017 2:43 PM In reply to

Thunderbolt driver seems happy and up to date too

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller