Latest post Tue, Mar 7 2017 4:47 PM by Philippe G. Ralet. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Mar 4 2017 3:37 PM

copying MediaFiles from one computer to another

Good morning, I'm installing  a new workstation, a PC, for all my Avid and Adobe product applications.
    I have 12 Tb of Mediafiles on Mac formatted disks, and want to copy all the footage to my PC internal drives.

What would be the recommeded way ?

1) copying from Mac to external PC drives and then recopying to the PC drives , I know double the pleasure

2) using the house network and drag and dropping, ( but this method seems to lose files ??

3) using a crossover ethernet cable and going peer-to-peer machine to machine.

any all ideas welcome. I know it'll take forever, I just would like it to be the shortest forever with guaranteed results

Thanks in advance

Avid & FCP editor, now installing A Fractal Intel 4 core 4.5Ghz, Windows 10, Avid 2019.12 new install, BlackMagic Decklink 4k studio card Migrating... [view my complete system specs]

Yo, let's get this done, and then go outside and play

• Sat, Mar 4 2017 9:26 PM In reply to

Re: copying MediaFiles from one computer to another

Install a 5 day trial of Macdrive and copy your files on the pc and all is solved.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 24GB memory, MC 8.6.5... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Sat, Mar 4 2017 9:51 PM In reply to

Mac Drive is an excellent option if the existing media drives are external.

2) I find copying via a network faster (1 GB network) in many cases, especially if the drag and drop operation is performed from the Mac. Subsequently checking by using folder Get Info and folder Properties ensures each transfer worked properly.

3) Works but by choice I would use a cheap (3?) port hub rather than a crossover cable.

• Sun, Mar 5 2017 12:22 PM In reply to

Good morning,

CrossEyedJack from wathcing progress bars.

Thankyou for the responses, MacDrive was an excellent recommendation, thankyou, and I used a crossover cable for internal drive transfers, which gave me no errors, compared to network drag and drop. As for the recommendation to push from the Mac .... well it was my original idea, but I haven't discovered how to to share properly on the PC .... still hung up at the basic password level, that I never entered ha ha ha .... I fear mac/pc grumblings in the future.

another 2 hrs of copying, and I'll be good to go

once again thanks,

bon dimanche

Avid & FCP editor, now installing A Fractal Intel 4 core 4.5Ghz, Windows 10, Avid 2019.12 new install, BlackMagic Decklink 4k studio card Migrating... [view my complete system specs]

• Mon, Mar 6 2017 4:13 PM In reply to

and here's a real newbie one

on Windows 10 where the (*&^%$) are the Avid User files ...
    I ran perfectly all weekend, and this mornigng I messed around with settings and I can't for the life of me replace them

hum

PC rant 

• Mon, Mar 6 2017 4:24 PM In reply to

Probably best you ask the PC forum. There are a few PC/Mac users that look here that might be able to help...but probably a faster response there.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Mon, Mar 6 2017 4:38 PM In reply to

yup sorry

• Tue, Mar 7 2017 11:21 AM In reply to

• pierreh
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Paris, London
    • Posts 1,278
    • Points 15,490

It's probably safer to recreate a user setting instead of importing one from PC land though...

- Work: MacPro 2010 3.46Ghz 12 Cores 48Gig RAM, Mojo DX, 10.14.6 - Home: MacBookPro 2.5Ghz quad-i7, 16Gig Mem and SSD OSX 10.11.6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 7 2017 3:26 PM In reply to

yes absolutely,

actually I had a user file I was working on and had backed up,

I corrupted it with a rogue driver, and was trying to reput my non corrupted settings

• Tue, Mar 7 2017 4:13 PM In reply to

• Tom Pearson
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 1 2007
    • Los Angeles CA / Dallas TX
    • Posts 2,195
    • Points 23,530

I have found that fast and reliable are not always on the same page... I have both mac and PC systems  when I have to dump files I always get a external drive and dump to that then copy onto the other machine...I know its slower but I have never had a file corrupt or lost issue at all and you have a back up IMHO

Mac Pro 3.5 gig 6 core 64 gig ram D700 radons with ssd os drive with a 20 tb raid, Artist Mix and Artist color Artist control [view my complete system specs]

Tom Pearson

Director/Writer Big Picture Films

Sound Designer/Sound Editor Hollywood Sounds

WWLD

• Tue, Mar 7 2017 4:47 PM In reply to

Hey Tom,

Yup I concur, 

This weekend I had 12 Tb I was trying to transfer,

finally using MacDrive eased the transition

Thanks for the response

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller