Latest post Tue, Feb 21 2017 1:11 PM by DStone. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Feb 19 2017 5:29 PM

"The internal audio clock source has a problem. Please check the hardware" MC 8.8

I've been getting this randomly since around the start of MC 8.x and now again after installing 8.8. The project is 1080p/25 with AVCHD media. When this happens I have to force MC to quit and then relaunch. Problem is then usually sorted out for a session or two before it resurfaces. It is usually shortly after launching MC for the first time.

Any ideas? I'm on a laptop with no external hardware of any kind connected. 

Avid Media Composer 2020.4 HP ZBook 17 Gen3, i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60Ghz Win 10, 64GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Feb 19 2017 6:42 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,779
    • Points 48,295
    • Moderator: Avid Media Composer for Liquid
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: "The internal audio clock source has a problem. Please check the hardware" MC 8.8

Look to see if this happens with a different project type, just to verify it's not project specific. You may even want to try and create a new user profile, just in case the current one is somehow corrupted.

With no external source, the system clock is the master clock for pretty much everything. Is your clock holding time when the system is off? Note that if your system is set to auto-update the time when it boots, you won't be able to tell from within Windows. Booting to BIOS will probably still let you see the clock without it updating.

If it were me, I'd probably change the CMOS battery (which maintains both the BIOS memory as well as runs the clock). Unfortunately, this is not always easy to do on a laptop. It's a button cell on the motherboard. Sometimes it's under the keyboard. Other times it's on the bottom of the motherboard. And sometimes it's in a location that requires removing the motherboard to replace it. You'll have to look up how to replace it for your particular laptop.

If you decide the replace the battery, take note of all the BIOS settings first. These will get set to defaults when the battery is replaced.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia RTX 2060 Super 8, Win 10 Pro, MC (generally the latest or the one just before) [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Sun, Feb 19 2017 9:05 PM In reply to

Re: "The internal audio clock source has a problem. Please check the hardware" MC 8.8

Thanks for your reply.

I've been running on my current user settings since a number of MC versions ago so that might be it. 

It's a brand new system custom built for me by HP, but your recommendation regarding the battery does make sense. The time displayed in the taskbar is correct but I will have it checked out. I'm really hoping that it won't be anything hardware related

Avid Media Composer 2020.4 HP ZBook 17 Gen3, i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60Ghz Win 10, 64GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 20 2017 12:40 AM In reply to

You could also try uninstalling MC then re-installing it. Make sure you unpack the MC download .zip with the zip file at the root level of your C:\ drive. (worked for me with this internal clock error on MC 8.7.2 install a while back)

• Mon, Feb 20 2017 2:02 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,626
    • Points 18,635

I suspect replacing settings or Andrew's solution will work. Avid doesn't use the system clock like a watch - it uses it purely to generate cycles for locking audio and video playback (and capture) to.

I have seen this as a real error pop up when recording audio if the Avid is not locked to the same source as the desk.. ie the Avid is on internal 48kHz and the desk is @ 44.1kHz.

One final check - the video output tool to make sure the reference is set to internal..

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Mon, Feb 20 2017 2:29 AM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 16 2006
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,777
    • Points 44,590
    • Moderator: MCA PC

Mondo:

I suspect replacing settings or Andrew's solution will work. Avid doesn't use the system clock like a watch - it uses it purely to generate cycles for locking audio and video playback (and capture) to.

I have seen this as a real error pop up when recording audio if the Avid is not locked to the same source as the desk.. ie the Avid is on internal 48kHz and the desk is @ 44.1kHz.

One final check - the video output tool to make sure the reference is set to internal..

I was surprised Dave would suggest that an audio clock (signal) would have any relation to the real-time clock or the CMOS battery.  They have no relation at all. The audio clock (signal) is based upon the clock signals on the motherboard that run the hardware.  Real-time clocks are separate entities.  Many real-time clock modules have lithium cells embeded that can't be replaced.  Whether the laptop has one like that is unknown but it's almost surely not relevant anyway.

What's likely, similarly to what Mondo was saying, is that MC is expecting a certain sample frequency and the computer's audio hardware or external hardware has been set for a different frequency.

Since there's no external hardware according to the OP, check the audio settings in Windows as well as those in MC.

Scott

• Mon, Feb 20 2017 5:20 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,779
    • Points 48,295

smyers63:
    I was surprised Dave would suggest that an audio clock (signal) would have any relation to the real-time clock or the CMOS battery.  They have no relation at all.
    Because I had a MOBO where the RTC was being used in high precision mode for syncing the audio. Don't ask me why; I don't design them, I just use them. I ended up putting a Soundblaster into that one to take care of timing (latency) issues. So it's one of the things I check when I start seeing messages like that reported.

And if it turns out not to be relevant any more, then my bad. Although as a side note I can't see anyone making a system with a non-removable CMOS battery; that would be an extreme case of planned obsolescence.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia RTX 2060 Super 8, Win 10 Pro, MC (generally the latest or the one just before) [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Mon, Feb 20 2017 8:46 PM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 16 2006
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,777
    • Points 44,590
    • Moderator: MCA PC

DStone:

smyers63:
    I was surprised Dave would suggest that an audio clock (signal) would have any relation to the real-time clock or the CMOS battery.  They have no relation at all.
    Because I had a MOBO where the RTC was being used in high precision mode for syncing the audio. Don't ask me why; I don't design them, I just use them. I ended up putting a Soundblaster into that one to take care of timing (latency) issues. So it's one of the things I check when I start seeing messages like that reported.

And if it turns out not to be relevant any more, then my bad. Although as a side note I can't see anyone making a system with a non-removable CMOS battery; that would be an extreme case of planned obsolescence.

I can't see the OP's brand new computer's RTC having anything to do with his audio even if that one example of yours did.  The RTC would still work even without a CMOS battery due to the design of the power input (yes, I do know how those are designed).  But, at any rate, we'll know if he replaces the brand new CMOS battery if it actually has one.

If you'd look into it, you'd find that RTC modules for many years have had embedded lithium cells that were expected to last around 10 years and lasted even longer.  If the module quit, you simply replaced it.  There was no "obsolescence" until long after the rest of the hardware was obsolete.  I've replaced a few in my time.  Dallas Semiconductor made some of the most popular ones, by the way.

Not a sidenote: I didn't say that was a CMOS battery or that such an RTC module was or wasn't used in any particular hardware.  I said that RTC modules often have embedded cells.  The message being there that if the laptop had such an RTC module, its battery backup would not be replaceable and that it would have nothing to do with the CMOS backup.  There would have to be a separate CMOS backup in that case.

We can debate the technical details of computers or anything else ad infinitum but that's not going to get the OP's system working.

Please remember that I'm not the only person who doubts the RTC has anything to do with the audio problem of the user in this thread.  I still don't believe it does.  Other things are much more likely such as software settings as a few of us have mentioned.

Scott

• Tue, Feb 21 2017 1:11 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,779
    • Points 48,295

smyers63:
    Please remember that I'm not the only person who doubts the RTC has anything to do with the audio problem of the user in this thread.  I still don't believe it does.  Other things are much more likely such as software settings as a few of us have mentioned.
    Nor do I disagree. I was merely pointing out one possibility based on prior experience.

smyers63:
    We can debate the technical details of computers or anything else ad infinitum but that's not going to get the OP's system working.
    Sorry, but that wasn't my intent. It was just a side note.

'Nuff said. Back to the issue at hand.

Dave S.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller