Latest post Wed, Oct 5 2016 7:45 PM by Pheral. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Oct 4 2016 4:25 AM

• RA
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 10 2013
    • Misc.
    • Posts 23
    • Points 145

I am sick and tired of Avid 8.6 crashing and losing my work!

I have used Media Composer since it was 2 years old.  I've put up with the crashing at various versions from 3.3 - 11 and back to 1 - 8.6.  But because I have been forced to start cutting on Premiere because so many Avid jobs have vanished, I've grown accustomed to having Premiere save my work when it decides to go bonkers and crash.

I am frustrated that I have to go back to the old paradigm of Avid when I had to save with every single keystroke and edit.  I guess I have to go back to that.  I was just laying in VO and had two shows done and CRASH.  Ooops!  Gone.  Start over.

The real thing that irritates is that now i am forced to pay $39 a month for something I have already purchased.

Avid -- please step up to justifying charging legacy users per month for the privledge of experiencing crashes and quite a few functions that still have never been implemented while Avid accomidated FCP users duing the death race before FCPx.  One example?  Why is there no dupe detection on audio, only video???  Of course the list is a bit longer.

I seriously am beginning to edit my personal shows on Premiere, I can't believe I'm saying that.  At some point I will be tired of paying 2 subscriptions and Avid right now you are on my short list.

Get it together please. There are LOTs of new technologies coming, and we all need to choose who to whom we are loyal when the next learning curves hit.

Filed under: ,
  • Tue, Oct 4 2016 3:33 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,896
    • Points 259,770
    • ! Avid Employee
      !Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Developer Moderator
      ForumsAdministrator
      Moderator: Edit on Demand
      Moderator: SSAI PHAI
      SystemAdministrator

Re: I am sick and tired of Avid 8.6 crashing and losing my work!

I am going to email you directly...  this is not the experince we want and the one most have.

stand by

marianna 

Sr. Director | Customer Experience and Community [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 4 2016 10:51 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,460
    • Points 98,575

For what it's worth, I cannot recall when I last saw a crash with Avid.  Admittedly I have been using other software more recently, but Avid's reliability is not in question in my mind.  And if anyone can help, Marianna will.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Oct 5 2016 2:50 AM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,445
    • Points 55,235

I think all software has reached the point of stability. I would credit the newer OSs with contributing to this phenom

I believe keeping a reasonably current PC, installing only the necessary supporting programs helps.

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, GTX 3060Ti, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA render, 8TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 23.12. Win 22H2  Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 20/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Wed, Oct 5 2016 7:45 PM In reply to

• Pheral
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Sylva, NC USA
    • Posts 966
    • Points 12,280

It would be helpful if the OP would post their system specs.

Media Composer v8.9.2 | Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit | Supermicro X10DAi | Intel Xeon E5-2620 v4 Broadwell (x2) | Noctua NH-D9DX i4 (x2) | PNY GeForce... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller