Latest post Mon, Oct 3 2016 3:19 PM by gaspar. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jul 21 2016 1:48 AM

• hagi
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 318
    • Points 4,270

Source Browser very slow opening folders, and other issues

So I realized 8.6 uses source browser to link media(AMA). For some reason, opening a folder takes some time to a point of crashing MC. I get a message of quicktime server..., please inset a disk N,S..., but all my disk are attached to the PC, I click cancel couple of times, and finally the media will link AMA.

Another issue that I have is span clips (AVCHD), well when I link, MC merge files over 4G, but the main problem is that, when I try to do mixdown of a sequence with a merged clip(span), the video mixdown ok, but the audio hangs, and I have to abort the audio mixdown after couple of hours. I think avid should investigate why audio mixdown of spanned clips hang, or maybe it's just me.

HP Z800 2.9Ghz(2x) 12GB Ram, Nvidia Quadro FX5800, Camera - HMC150 Media Composer 8.6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 25 2016 10:27 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,135
    • Points 230,260
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Source Browser very slow opening folders, and other issues

Hagi

Can you update your spec's as I cant tell what you actually are running now to ty to reprduce it?

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Wed, Jul 27 2016 2:41 AM In reply to

• hagi
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 318
    • Points 4,270

Specs updated, thanks

HP Z800 2.9Ghz(2x) 12GB Ram, Nvidia Quadro FX5800, Camera - HMC150 Media Composer 8.6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 5 2016 11:04 AM In reply to

• Jon
    • Not Ranked
    • UK
    • Posts 181
    • Points 2,415

Same issue - source browser hopelessly slow then crashes

Asus X299, i7 7820, Nvidia 2000M 32GB ram, NVME SSD 8.9.1 ( yes its very fast!) [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Aug 6 2016 6:09 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,668
    • Points 66,510

Same here, the more the folders I browse are populated with files the slower the Source browser, with occasional crashes complaining about some QT related service not running, next time I'll take a note of the exact error message.... moreover, not all the files can be loaded for preview, even if they can be successfully linked.

Symphony 20.04, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Sat, Aug 6 2016 8:06 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

Have you tried, all or anyone of you, if changing the media cache settings in any way improves this , I have mine settings to 2 x 2 gigs and am also using a fast media drive for the cache location

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Sat, Aug 6 2016 12:25 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,668
    • Points 66,510

mjolnarn:
    Have you tried, all or anyone of you, if changing the media cache settings in any way improves this , I have mine settings to 2 x 2 gigs...

Hi Tomas, media cache is in MB by default, is that a typo or You're really on 2 x 2 GB? Mine is doubled to 400 MB and 100 MB vs the default 200 and 50 MB, caching on an SSD drive. I understand that an oversized cache slows things down, or not?

Symphony 20.04, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Sat, Aug 6 2016 12:32 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

luca.mg:

mjolnarn:
    Have you tried, all or anyone of you, if changing the media cache settings in any way improves this , I have mine settings to 2 x 2 gigs...

Hi Tomas, media cache is in MB by default, is that a typo or You're really on 2 x 2 GB?

yepp , 2000 and 2000 , works like a charm, depends on how much ram and disks size you have if you consider it overtaxed or not, I have 64 of ram and using an 8 tb raid zero drive for the disc cache

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Sat, Aug 6 2016 1:16 PM In reply to

• Jon
    • Not Ranked
    • UK
    • Posts 181
    • Points 2,415

No - changing the cache didnt work.  Just locked up. then the browser window dissapeared after 3 mins and wont come back.

This is a real problem - how can I link to AMA without the browser?  I may have to reinstall 8.5

Asus X299, i7 7820, Nvidia 2000M 32GB ram, NVME SSD 8.9.1 ( yes its very fast!) [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Aug 6 2016 2:11 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,668
    • Points 66,510

Further doubling the cache made things sligtly better, the problem is that the more You work with the Source Browser, the slower it gets; I'll see how things will go in the long run.

My 32 GB RAM should be well enough to handle a 2 GB cache, and the 500 GB SSD drive sure is fast enough and has enough room to accomodate a 2 GB cache, but I keep thinking that reading from an oversized cache might be slower than reading from a properly sized cache, even on a system with such resources; if the default is in megabytes, that means to me that gigabytes are overkill, but which size is the right caches size has yet to be seen though.

Gretsky, I only have had occasional crashes, if You are stuck perhaps the problem is not related to the cache size. Are You on a project created with MC 8.6.1? Are You on user settings created with MC 8.6.1? Did You try flushing the cache and managing the usual suspects? If the answer to all of the above is Yes I'm out of ideas, except for the nasty voo-doo like uninstall and reinstall, provided that You manually clean all of the remainings of Avid in between.

peace luca

• Wed, Aug 10 2016 8:07 AM In reply to

• Jon
    • Not Ranked
    • UK
    • Posts 181
    • Points 2,415

I think I have found the problem. - A Mapped network drive.

After launching MC 1st time of the day, the source browser would hang the system for 5(!!!) minutes and then work OK.

After looking at the performance  monitor I found the only resource used was the network and  it was accessing a mapped network drive.

Disconnect the drive and all came good.

I think Avid need to look at the coding regarding mapped drives.

• Wed, Aug 10 2016 11:41 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,668
    • Points 66,510

Good to know and thank You for sharing.

I still see increasingly slowliness the longer I work with the source browser, but obviously this is not related to network drives. 

As for Avid dealing with mapped drives I bet we can all forget about it: they sell shared storage and won't ease using other solutions.

peace luca

• Wed, Aug 10 2016 3:15 PM In reply to

Gretski:

I think I have found the problem. - A Mapped network drive.

After launching MC 1st time of the day, the source browser would hang the system for 5(!!!) minutes and then work OK.

After looking at the performance  monitor I found the only resource used was the network and  it was accessing a mapped network drive.

Disconnect the drive and all came good.

I think Avid need to look at the coding regarding mapped drives.

I've always found mapped drives to be an issue with Avid. There seems to be lots of small data movements and on a local drive thats fine but on a network drive it bogs down. Try importing or exporting to network drives as opposed to local drives and its factors slower.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hostred Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Fri, Aug 12 2016 9:25 AM In reply to

• Jon
    • Not Ranked
    • UK
    • Posts 181
    • Points 2,415

I'm only using the mapped NAS drive for backups, not for media, linked files or bins etc

My only solution is to disconnect the drive when using the Avid application.  Not a great solution but at least I can now use AMA linking.

• Mon, Oct 3 2016 3:19 PM In reply to

• gaspar
    • Not Ranked
    • Montreal, Quebec
    • Posts 106
    • Points 1,325

Alt-drag clips to a bin from Windows Explorer to link without using Source Browser. It's much faster.

I'm writing this because I just searched for "media composer source browser slow" and came across this thread. I'm in the middle of relinking some XDCamEX media using Source Browser and Media Composer hangs for minutes. If I wait long enough, it eventually comes back to life and links the media.

Alt-drag links the files right away. I have no idea why it's different.

Gigabyte X58A-UD7, Core i7 920, 24G GSKill Ram, Quadro FX 1800, 2XDell U2410, Win 7 64bit with MC8.9.1 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller