Latest post Thu, Feb 13 2020 2:10 AM by ykt28403. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jul 20 2016 2:00 PM

• ramz434
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Long Island
    • Posts 223
    • Points 2,770

Refresh Source Browser

I added a folder to a drive and dropped some media into it, then went to AMA thru the source browser. The drive already had a folder in it with footage that I had AMA'd to previously during this session. After adding the new folder with new media, the source browser will not see that new folder. 

The only way I can get that folder to be seen is to quit out of MC and the relaunch. There doesnt seem to be an option to refresh the source folder to recognize anything new.

- HP Z400/24gb ram/Windows 10/MC2019.11/256gb Samsung SSD/ NVidia GTX 1080 - Macbook Pro/16gb ram/OS 10.14.5/MC2019.11/Intel UHD 630 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 20 2016 6:50 PM In reply to

Re: Refresh Source Browser

What happens if you click on the Explore button?

FWIW with MC open, Source Browser open and linked media in the project I added an external drive (USB stick) not previously used on this computer. It showed up immediately and found folders and allowed linking without me having to do anything.

• Wed, Jul 20 2016 8:47 PM In reply to

• ramz434
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Long Island
    • Posts 223
    • Points 2,770

Explore doesnt really do anything.

I just added footage to a folder that was previously used as an AMA folder five minutes ago - and the Source Browser wont see the new footage either. Only the older footage. The Source Browser doesnt seem to be refreshing to match the folder on the drive.

- HP Z400/24gb ram/Windows 10/MC2019.11/256gb Samsung SSD/ NVidia GTX 1080 - Macbook Pro/16gb ram/OS 10.14.5/MC2019.11/Intel UHD 630 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 20 2016 8:49 PM In reply to

• ramz434
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Long Island
    • Posts 223
    • Points 2,770

What I just had to do was have the Source Browser create a new folder in my Media Folder - then by having Source Browser delete that same folder, it forced a refresh and saw my files. 

• Wed, Jul 20 2016 10:19 PM In reply to

Try under the File dropdown menu\Media then first try "Refresh Media Directories" and if that does not work try "Load media database" Hopefully one of these will do it for you.

In the past if you had MC open and you connected a hard drive Avid would not see it until you restarted Avid.  (I cannot recall trying update data bases to try and get Avid to see the new drive myself)

ramz434:
    I just added footage to a folder that was previously used as an AMA folder five minutes ago - and the Source Browser wont see the new footage either.
    I would try a new user as something seems strange to me.

I opened a project previously saved in 8.6 (originated in 8.5)  Linked from the browser to several graphics in a folder on a USB stick. Then dragged 3 new graphics into this folder from a different hard drive (this folder had never been linked to) The graphics were in the Browser by time I had tabbed back to MC and they all happily linked into the project using the browser. So I tried a copying an old mp4 into the same folder on the USB drive.  Again the Browser had updated by the time I tabbed back to MC.

FYI the Avid user I am used for this test was created in MC 6 and has been used with every MC update since then. I am using W7 SP1 with 8.6.

• Thu, Jul 21 2016 6:23 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,627
    • Points 66,050

AndrewAction:
    Try under the File dropdown menu\Media then first try "Refresh Media Directories" and if that does not work try "Load media database" Hopefully one of these will do it for you.

Don't know if that applies: the commands are for the regular Avid media fles, the linked stuff is a different beast; just thinking out loud here.

AndrewAction:
    I opened a project previously saved in 8.6 (originated in 8.5)  Linked from the browser to several graphics in a folder on a USB stick. Then dragged 3 new graphics into this folder from a different hard drive (this folder had never been linked to) The graphics were in the Browser by time I had tabbed back to MC and they all happily linked into the project using the browser.

That's not the same as adding a folder, like the OP did.

After adding a folder to a previously linked folder I'd try to force a refresh using the standard F5 key, the default refresh directory command in the Windows file manager. I wouldn't be surprised if that doesn't work though, since the Avid developer do not like to make things too easy, but still worth a try; if it doesn't work it's a good one for the feature request forum.

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Thu, Jul 21 2016 7:07 AM In reply to

"Refresh Media Directories"

luca.mg:
    Don't know if that applies: the commands are for the regular Avid media fles, the linked stuff is a different beast;
    You may be right. But before the Source Browser they were always called Databases. Having changed to having a single  Import /Link UI and changing the name to Directories suggests to me it could be worth a try.

luca.mg:
    That's not the same as adding a folder
    Ok. I added a folder to an already linked folder and the added folder just showed up media in it linked properly. I then created a new folder in the already linked folder and it worked as well.

Interestingly I had deleted this mornings test media from USB drive. When I first opened the Source Browser it would not now see or connect to the USB drive.  Selecting the Recent Tab and then one of this mornings linked files (even though I had delete that media's master clip) and the whole of my USB drive showed up, was available and the media in it linked properly.

• Thu, Jul 21 2016 1:18 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,627
    • Points 66,050

AndrewAction:
    I would try a new user as something seems strange to me.

So You got it right in the first place!

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Fri, Aug 12 2016 3:16 PM In reply to

• DonE
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 18 2009
    • California, USA
    • Posts 107
    • Points 1,285

Did my first upgrade to 8.6.1 from 8.5.3 on Win7. We operate in a completely shared environment. We use a number of NAS systems for all of our non-Avid media. If I launch Avid and then mount a NAS share as a Windows drive the Source Browser will not see the drive. I have tried the suggestions from this thread. The only way I have found to use a new network mount is to quit Avid and re-launch. Slow...

BTW if I go to Import it uses a Windows browser and the drive is available.

1x AMC/Sy 8.2.11-Win7 Pro 64-HP z800-dual 6core-24GB-Quadro FX 4800-Nitris DX QT775 NV340.84** 3x AMC/Sy 8.2.11-Win7 Pro 64-HP xw8600-8GB-Quadro FX 3700... [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under:
  • Sat, Aug 13 2016 9:12 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,627
    • Points 66,050

peace luca

• Thu, Feb 13 2020 2:10 AM In reply to

• ykt28403
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 22 2016
    • Posts 18
    • Points 150

This is brilliant! Thank you!

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller