Latest post Thu, Apr 14 2016 10:15 PM by jwrl. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Apr 14 2016 3:25 PM

convert premiere project to avid mc

wonder if there's a way to convert premiere cc sequence to avid. the length is about 10min but will a lot of cuts and effetcs on top of it. it seems avid is more stable so just wondering if i could do that? 

• Thu, Apr 14 2016 4:09 PM In reply to

• Andrew Rice
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 24 2011
    • Maui, Hawaii
    • Posts 155
    • Points 2,010

Re: convert premiere project to avid mc

I have used XML's to take projects between Premiere and FCP7.  That may work.  But I would guess that most if not all effects will not translate, and if there is any text involved in the Premiere project that will not travel to MC either.  Exporting an XML is fast and you will know if it works in a matter of minutes.  And remember if it does work it is essentially AMA/Linking the footage. 

Please report back, it would be nice to know if it works!

Media Composer 8.4 • Mac Pro • 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon • 16GB RAM • ATI Radeon HD 5770 • Nvidia Quadra 4000 • Blackmagic Decklink Studio • BMD Desktop... [view my complete system specs]

Glassy waves make me happy

• Thu, Apr 14 2016 4:37 PM In reply to

Not likely to work very well, especially when you get into effects.  I've tried a couple of sequences and had minimal success, still with plenty of manual relinking to be done, and it wasn't useful for much beyond cuts.

If something were to work decently, it would be AAF.  The XML doesn't do anything for this purpose, at least not with Avid.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.15.6, Avid Media Composer 2020.12 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 14 2016 10:15 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,433
    • Points 98,200

My experience of AAF interchange with Premiere some time back was that it was a little hit or miss.  I haven't tried recently, but then it was more reliable rebuilding the edit manually.  Avid could interchange AAF with pretty much anyone else that supported, just not Premiere.  It was never resolved to my satisfaction.

It would be interesting to see if the problems have been addressed.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller