Latest post Mon, Feb 29 2016 4:04 AM by Andrew Rice. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Feb 28 2016 11:59 PM

• Andrew Rice
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 24 2011
    • Maui, Hawaii
    • Posts 155
    • Points 2,010

Hi,

I have to deliver seperate stems of our doc to PBS in Stereo.

ie: Dialog, Effects, MnE, etc.  PBS is telling me that I sent them mono files and not stereo.

I have output the files using this settings you can see in the attached file, also at the bottom of that file is the specs QT offers on the .wav file that was output.  Isn't this file in stereo?

Thanks for any help, Delivery is always fun  :)

Media Composer 8.4 • Mac Pro • 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon • 16GB RAM • ATI Radeon HD 5770 • Nvidia Quadra 4000 • Blackmagic Decklink Studio • BMD Desktop... [view my complete system specs]

Glassy waves make me happy

• Mon, Feb 29 2016 12:12 AM In reply to

• Andrew Rice
    • Not Ranked
    • Maui, Hawaii
    • Posts 155
    • Points 2,010

I may have just discoverd what could be the problem...see the screenshot below of the mixer.  all pans are centered.  We did not use stereo tracks when cutting, so dialog was two sets of mon tracks.  so do i need to pan left and right and THEN output as before?

Media Composer 8.4 • Mac Pro • 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon • 16GB RAM • ATI Radeon HD 5770 • Nvidia Quadra 4000 • Blackmagic Decklink Studio • BMD Desktop... [view my complete system specs]

• Mon, Feb 29 2016 3:37 AM In reply to

• N Ryan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 3 2014
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 94
    • Points 1,170

Re: Stereo files for Delivery

Did you mix the doco inside Media Composer?

Media Composer 2021.9 HP Z6 G4 Workstation 32.00 GB RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) Silver 4116 CPU @ 2.10GHz Boris Continuum 2021.5 Avid Nexus [view my complete system specs]

Neil.

• Mon, Feb 29 2016 3:44 AM In reply to

• Andrew Rice
    • Not Ranked
    • Maui, Hawaii
    • Posts 155
    • Points 2,010

No we mixed an 80min version in ProTools, and then output stems.   The version for PBS is a 60 minute version cut from the 80 with the "mixed" stems.  The stems came back into MC and "wanted" to be on seperate mono tracks.  I did not modify the stems and make them stereo.

Does that make sense?

• Mon, Feb 29 2016 3:59 AM In reply to

• N Ryan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 3 2014
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 94
    • Points 1,170

Yes, that makes sense.
    I've had to do similar things before. Usually when I have to cut using Stems, even if I've got the Full Mix as well, I send all this back to ProTools, even if there's no actual mixing required (i.e. it's an 'all faders set to zero' mix) so that ProTools can then output a new set of continuous Stems with timecodes that match the Master Video file. This avoids the rare (but I've seen it happen) case where - sometime in the future - someone sends out the 60 min video with the 80 min stems.

Media Composer 2021.9 HP Z6 G4 Workstation 32.00 GB RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) Silver 4116 CPU @ 2.10GHz Boris Continuum 2021.5 Avid Nexus [view my complete system specs]

Neil.

• Mon, Feb 29 2016 4:04 AM In reply to

• Andrew Rice
    • Not Ranked
    • Maui, Hawaii
    • Posts 155
    • Points 2,010

Thanks, well in any case they mentioned that the pan was centered, so I paned one channel left and the other right for all the stems.

I have sent them the files and will see if they pass QC.  If not, then I may need to bring the stems back into PT.  In which case I may be asking for more input.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller