Latest post Thu, Oct 5 2017 12:58 PM by DStone. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Feb 15 2016 11:14 PM

• hostileto
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 16 2006
    • Posts 84
    • Points 1,300

Sony's XAVC Codec's XAVC-S why can't I right click import? ANSWER ME!

Dear Avid,

I don't have time to waste transcoding using a 3rd party application to use 4k in avid.

So what is the solution - give me a work flow that is a simple as right click import like the olden days

which codec/camera/ brand do I get so I can right click 4k codec into avid so I can work make money and have 4k footage of a cat playing piano or Zoo Lander prequels

Right now I have Sony cameras that I can shoot and edit.... but I cant import why is that?

Is there an ama work flow...?.not one where it boggs down my computer where it looks like nintento super mario when to many objects are on the screen.

Guys... what the deal? with premier can take them in.... How are do you feel about that?

Let me know what to get or I'm getting rid of Avid (AVIDS that I have)

HP z820 Nitris DX avid 8 win7 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 15 2016 11:38 PM In reply to

Re: Sony's XAVC Codec's XAVC-S why can't I right click import? ANSWER ME!

The "import" command is an old, legacy command that supports limited formats, and forces immediate creation of Avid media.  By contrast, AMA/linking workflows allow you to instantly get your media online, and then decide how you want to deal with it.  So, let's work on how to use AMA here.

You can use any 4K camera that does XAVC-L, XAVC-I, ProRes, DNxHR, and a number of other 4K formats.  Unfortunately for consumers, Sony stubborly continues to refuse to provide XAVC-S support for Avid.  Therefore, for maximum cross-platform compatibility, do not buy XAVC-S equipment.

If you already have a XAVC-S camera - you can use Resolve to prepare your media, OR Drastic Technologies has a $99 AMA plugin specifically for XAVC-S in Media Composer.  Very reasonable, especially if you own a camera and will be using the format frequently.  I haven't tried it as I don't use XAVC-S, but others have.  Find it under "Versions":

http://www.drastic.tv/index.php#versions

They even have a trial download, so you can see if it works for you.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.13.6, Avid Media Composer 2019.11 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 16 2016 12:55 AM In reply to

• hostileto
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 16 2006
    • Posts 84
    • Points 1,300

I'm going to toss my sony XAVC-S

I do have a XAVC-L but I can never get it into the avid it always says wrong format.

I use AMA to ref the clip but using it in a seq just boggs down the editing and plus if you have layers of effects the whole thing becomes sluggish

here is the question what is work flow using ama?

"then decide how you want to deal with it" what does that mean?

the way I want to deal with it is AVID right click make me a files that I do whatever and not effect my processing when adding layer of tracks.

I'm old school I remember back in the day 1 gig was the size of......

Is there a link a video that would explain step by step.

I searched cant find one. I shoot bang bang and videos need to be in the avid ASAP.

ama is a great to view but not to work off directly from....unless there is another way way way way....

Help my AVID forum you are my only hope...

HP z820 Nitris DX avid 8 win7 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 16 2016 1:23 AM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 16 2006
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,485
    • Moderator: MCA PC

AMA-link and transcode. I AMA footage, make some initial cuts into a sequence, then transcode the sequence which gives me new transcoded clips and a new sequence linked to the new clips.

Look up AMA Master Guide and Filebased Workflows Guide on Avid's site or on Google.

Sys. 1: Sony VAIO VPCF13UFX/B, Intel Core i7-740QM (1.73GHz), 4GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit), Nvidia Geforce 310M, MC 8.7 Sys. 2: Acer Aspire... [view my complete system specs]

Scott

• Tue, Feb 16 2016 7:46 AM In reply to

• AntCaladine
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 11 2007
    • Stourbridge, UK
    • Posts 373
    • Points 4,720

As you’re a sony boy like me, make sure you have 2 things installed.

1) Sony PDZKMA2 AMA plugin. Latest version is 3.42 here :http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/download/pdzk-ma2

2) install cliptoolz (its free) here: http://hdcinematics.com/convert-V2.html

Cliptoolz above link, is a fab program, free, and can "re-wrap you xavc-s footage to mov" which can then happily be AMA'd into avid. Its blisteringly fast to re-wrap the file extension. Just drop your xavc-s clips into it, choose re-wrap to mov, choose an output folder and reelname and hit batch process. This will now create mov files which Avid likes.

As it’s been said before, import is old, and well isn’t used for getting camera footage in nowadays. Its best to AMA and transcode. Which believe or not, is actually quicker than import!

Within avid, set your project up to be UHD or 4k depending on what you’ve shot.

Then in your bin, right click, goto import, then link to media, in the pop up window that appears, change the files of type pull down menu to Sony XAVC_XDCAM MXF based on you ama’ing your XAVC-L clips else change pull down to MOV if selecting your newly wrapped movs from cliptoolz,
    then navigate to your clip folder to find your mxf files (or other folder for MOVs), select one or all of them, click open.
    Very quickly you’ll have your media accessible in avid.

As you said you use XAVC-L which is a known processor hog, select all your clips, right click choose transcode. choose your quality setting for DNxHR (this will boil down to drive space you have) HQ is obviously the best, but takes up loads of space. Your call. If your using a 10bit footage your need to choose the HQ X (x means 10bit) all the others are 8 bit

Then go put the kettle on, or have a quick net surf, forum check etc, whilst avid is doing its things (still quicker than import)

Then your good to go.

2x HP Z8 G4, 96GB ram, Win10 Pro 64bit, Nvidia Quadro P4000 8GB AMC 2019.8 1x HP Z820 16GB ram, Win10 Pro 64bit, Nvidia Quadro 4000 AMC 2018.12.7 2x... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 22 2016 8:40 PM In reply to

• neral
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 21 2011
    • Posts 4
    • Points 70

Any chance that XAVC-S will work natively in Media Composer someday ? (or with an AMA Plug-In)

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9505 @ 2.83 GHz, 8 Go of RAM, Nvidia GeForce GT 730, Windows 10 Pro 64 bits, Avid Media Composer 8.5.1, Sony HDV HDR-HC7E. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 22 2016 11:15 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,730
    • Points 47,805
    • Moderator: Avid Media Composer for Liquid
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

There is a 3rd party plugin available for it. You can find it on Drastic's website Here.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia RTX 2060 Super 8, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Tue, Mar 22 2016 11:37 PM In reply to

Specifically, you want the one that's under the "Versions" tab at the bottom called

• MediaReactor Single for Avid (reads Sony XAVC-S in Avid software) - $99.00 US (Windows or OS-X)
    (SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.13.6, Avid Media Composer 2019.11 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 20 2017 9:18 AM In reply to

• Yannik
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Sep 12 2015
    • Posts 8
    • Points 50

Sony has created a special free of charge AMA plug-in for AVID (PDZK-MA2 V.3.4). This software for Microsoft Windows and MAC OS X operating systems provides support for XAVC and XDCAM / XDCAM HD files in Avid Media Composer. However, Sony Camera that shot 4K XAVC S is not currently supported natively by Avid Media Composer. To import 4K XAVC S flies into Avid for smooth editing, thirdparty software is required to convert XAVC S to DNxHD.

Filed under:
  • Wed, Sep 20 2017 9:28 AM In reply to

The post from Yannik is either simply misinformed, or at worst, similar to other thinly-veiled spam attempts to lead to a purchase of third-party software appearing in the article "Speaking with spammers."  The technique of reviving an old thread in order to post a suggestion to buy third-party software is a common technique of such spammers on this forum and others.

Given that Yannik's post history does not include direct encouragement to use specific third-party tools, I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

First of all - Sony's free plugin does not include XAVC-S.  Second of all, Nablet does now offer a plugin as well, though it is another paid one.  Thirdly, Avid now offers a free plugin (included with the MC install - not a separate download) - but it doesn't support some critical metadata such as timecode.

What is definitely NOT correct is that third-party software is required to convert to DNxHD.

• Thu, Sep 21 2017 11:39 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,407
    • Points 97,250

usatraveler:
    Given that Yannik's post history does not include direct encouragement to use specific third-party tools, I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

You may have been prepared to give them the benefit, but obviously someone else didn't!  I notice that their account has now been de-activated.

On another forum that I moderate we have had occasions of sleepers who have intermittently posted a few innocuous replies suddenly becoming spammers.  And yes, it's almost invariably done by reviving an old thread to make their purchase suggestion.  That is so common that moderators on that forum will always target such revived threads first when checking for spam.

Those posts are usually easy to pick up anyway, because like Yannik's, they usually show little understanding of the product that the forum supports.  Even though I don't use XAVC-S media, I was aware that Avid now directly supports it.  It seems that Yannik obviously either didn't know that, or worse, hoped to panic new users into buying an unnecessary product.

Thank you for that link, by the way.  It's a very good article, and the list of names had a few in there that I didn't already know.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Oct 5 2017 6:25 AM In reply to

I notice (??) that the most recent MC release seems to allow for AMA linking off the Sony XAVC S Codec.... although I have a question about this - given that there is the plugin also now available, what would be the advantage of buying and using the plugin?  

FYI - I'm pretty new to Avid, but not so new to video editing (FCP / Prem), although by no means in any kind of pro category.

• Thu, Oct 5 2017 12:58 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,730
    • Points 47,805
    • Moderator: Avid Media Composer for Liquid
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

XAVC-S is supported by the Avid Generic plug-in as of MC 8.9.1.  It does not (at least not yet) support timecode from the Sony A7 cameras (which uses a non-standard timecode). There is also a 1-frame error (short by 1 frame) when linking any MP4 based media (which includes XAVC-S). They're working on that one.

There are 2 other paid plug-ins, one from Nablet (who make the other Sony plug-ins that come with MC) and one from Drastic TV. These do support A7 timecode. They also run on earlier versions of MC (I believe down to MC 7 for both, but you'd have to check to make sure).

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia RTX 2060 Super 8, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller