Latest post Mon, Feb 22 2016 5:51 PM by Greg Cohan. 33 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (34 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Feb 2 2016 1:55 AM

• Greg Cohan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 9 2015
    • Hollywood
    • Posts 95
    • Points 1,090

8.5 and what I'm seeing

So there were things I saw in 8.5 that made me want to give it a try on some rather large series and because they were just about to start I jumped right in and upgrade 28 systems on Friday right when it came out.

So far most things are running smoothly.  Performance seems to be better.  Here are some things to report though that we are seeing though.

1) When Closing out the software we sometime get a "File ??? not found" error and have to force quite out of the system.

2) One Editor is reporting issues with Mark I/O not working from a mapped button (not keybord) as well as overwrite.  Changeing the workspace back and forth seems to make it go away until it's back.

3) There is a lag when using "Lift" every editor is reporting it to me about 1 to 2 seconds

4) Crashing - All Systems are crashing 1-3 times daily.  

5) Were some things seem much improved performance wise others are much more laggy.  IE Clicking on the Bin tab is fast but clicking on subsequent "Format" "Effect", "Setting", "Volumes"(not even sure why this is here, "Usage", "Info" tab resultes in lag and delay with a beach ball lasts 2-3 seconds.

6) Avid attics have not save to Isis since the update.  Every system is defaulting to local drive.

7) 2 of 16 editors experienced an issue where the timeline would only play for 10 seconds at a time then stop automaticly. (not related to play lenght) occasionaly clicking the space bar results in jumping back to the begining of a sequence.  Restart seems to correct this.

The above issues started happening on multiple systems last night at the same time.  Hit play and avid just stops about 5 seconds in.  One sytem was giving the following error.  Exception: AFIFO-TAKEUNDERRUN,CtrlBiFiTo:Auto LFE 11Mostly I am seeing Beach Ball of death crashes at this point.

I'll add anthing else we come across.  These systems are all running on larger series.  1 is heavy multicam reality the other is heavey effects driven Doc.

Currently things are running smoother then the first week.

Trouble shooting steps I have taken.

1) Deleted Bay FIles

2) Deleted MCStates

3) Remade all User Profiles

4) Rebuilt Data bases

5) Turned off ManageAMA and Local AMA databases.

6) in Media Cache turned the held memory down to 8gigs and unclicked the option to cach frames.

7) "Tape: 021116A02 - when linked to ama in the bin it says duration 3hrs:36:mins:05secs, and 19frms - actual duration in           seq., says 1hr:16mins:02secs., and 00frms Tape: 021116B02 - when linked to ama in the bin it says duration            10hrs:02:mins:41secs, and 04frms - actual duration in seq., says 1hr:16mins:27secs., and 12frms

Avid will not let you manually enter aux t/c you get an error, I was able to trouble shoot and group but only after I lifted out a couple of minutes of footage at the 00:00:00:00 t/c, will fix group if we can figure out the issue”

Next few things I'll try

Creating new Mac Profiles for the users

Updating Isis SD to 4.7.7

All are on MC 8.5 OS 10.9.5 Isis Client 4.7.6 Isis System Director 4.7.3

60 Systems all running MC 2021.6 0n Catalina [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 2 2016 2:10 AM In reply to

• Andrew Rice
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 24 2011
    • Maui, Hawaii
    • Posts 155
    • Points 2,010

Re: 8.5 and what I'm seeing

I am also getting issue number 1 (When Closing out the software we sometime get a "File ??? not found" error and have to force quite out of the system.)

But, for the record, I am stoked with all the new features, and for the most part everything is running smoothly.  Mahalo AVID!

Media Composer 8.4 • Mac Pro • 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon • 16GB RAM • ATI Radeon HD 5770 • Nvidia Quadra 4000 • Blackmagic Decklink Studio • BMD Desktop... [view my complete system specs]

Glassy waves make me happy

• Tue, Feb 2 2016 5:50 PM In reply to

• Greg Cohan
    • Not Ranked
    • Hollywood
    • Posts 95
    • Points 1,090

Also worth noting

There is a new button on The time line for Titler Pro.  Hiting this when Titler Pro is not istalled causes an instant crash.

• Tue, Feb 2 2016 6:13 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 160,320

GregCohan:

Hiting this when Titler Pro is not istalled causes an instant crash.

You should be able to select , inside the command palette , what titler to open up when pressing that T

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Tue, Feb 2 2016 6:23 PM In reply to

• Greg Cohan
    • Not Ranked
    • Hollywood
    • Posts 95
    • Points 1,090

just tried to remap it.  The only options are Titler Pro or None.

also I'm sure this is not the worse of my worries :-)

• Tue, Feb 2 2016 7:18 PM In reply to

Although when you MAP the Title tool to your keyboard, it opens the general Title option...where it gives three options of MARQUEE, TITLE TOOL and Titler Pro. I choose the title tool, and PERSIST. I THOUGHT that would make the timeline title tool button then work for that, but nope, just beeps, so must me only linked to New Blue.

Loving the new overlays I see when I move clips on the timeline, and the ability to create a new track by moving a clip up.

• Tue, Feb 2 2016 7:25 PM In reply to

Have you created new users?  That might explain the Titling issues...

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Tue, Feb 2 2016 7:30 PM In reply to

Yes, my post super (the OP here) had us all do that.

I also noticed a bug that was fixed. I view some of my bins in SCRIPT MODE, so I can see the first frame of video. Before this version, when scrolling down about 1/3 before the end, the list would end and there'd be a LOT of empty space. That's been fixed. No empty space.

• Tue, Feb 2 2016 9:37 PM In reply to

• Greg Cohan
    • Not Ranked
    • Hollywood
    • Posts 95
    • Points 1,090

Online is reporting issues with outputting to tape at 720p on I/O box.

And Shane I haven'e been a Post Super in 10 years :-)

• Tue, Feb 2 2016 9:41 PM In reply to

• Greg Cohan
    • Not Ranked
    • Hollywood
    • Posts 95
    • Points 1,090

I have one software only system that is getting 

Exection: AMPI_SESSION_CONNECTION_OUT_ERROR.

This one is new to me.

• Tue, Feb 2 2016 11:32 PM In reply to

Just a note about the "File ??? Not Found" error on closing. I have that on 8.4.5. Never seen it before.  Thought it might be that I'd moved some project files in the finder with MC still running, because MC said it couldn't move them (locked).  These files (bins inside folders) were created on another system.  Love to get my hands on 64 tracks, but not in the middle of a show.

2018 Mac Mini, 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7, 64 GB RAM Aja T-Tap Big Sur 11.4 MC 2021.9 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 3 2016 12:41 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,626
    • Points 18,640

I think AMPI errors are related to the audiosuite plug ins..

try this thread for more info

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Wed, Feb 3 2016 12:44 AM In reply to

Shane Ross:
    the ability to create a new track by moving a clip up.
    Am I being stupid or can this new function only create a new top track(s)? If so, for me, of very limited interest as I far more frequently need the new track immediately above the one I am working on (New Track Insert).

• Wed, Feb 3 2016 12:53 AM In reply to

It creates a new track...not sure by what you mean "only create a new top track." If I have four video tracks, and I have a clip on V4, I drag it up and it makes a new track, V5. Or...if I have ten audio tracks, I drag down and get an A11.  You mean you want a new track to pop up BETWEEN tracks? Say you have four V tracks, with a clip on V1, you want to drag it up and make a NEW V2, pushing all the other tracks up? SO V2 is now V3, V3 is now V4, V4 is now V5?  I've never needed to do that.

(And Greg is the Head of Post Production...my bad)

• Wed, Feb 3 2016 1:40 AM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,925
    • Points 47,380

Shane Ross:

You mean you want a new track to pop up BETWEEN tracks? Say you have four V tracks, with a clip on V1, you want to drag it up and make a NEW V2, pushing all the other tracks up? SO V2 is now V3, V3 is now V4, V4 is now V5?  I've never needed to do that.

Wow! Never?  I need that function alot.  Glad there is a keyboard method for getting there.

Having a draggable method of doing this would be quite useful.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." 2021 iMac w Big Sur [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Page 1 of 3 (34 items) 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller