Latest post Mon, Feb 8 2016 10:21 PM by Marc Cebrian. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jan 21 2016 7:01 PM

Problem: All BM Control Software Disables Artist DNxIO

We just discovered a bug with the Avid Artist DNxIO when trying to use any control software installed on the same system. At first, it was the Videohub software, but this also occurs when using the Smartscope software.

While in capture mode, if I try to communicate with any other Blackmagic device on our network, the Artist IO is disabled. The HW/SW is turned off.

I get the following error: "DigitizeWindow::ActivateDevices StartPassthrough failed with ePSIsStarting."

I have contacted BM tech support and they said I need to open a case with Avid. I have done so.

The issue is solid and I have to manually turn the HW/SW back on and reselect all my capture parameters.

We have three Avid Artist DNxIOs with the same problem on Window 7 PCs. MC is 8.4.5. The Desktop Video is 10.5.4. All the Blackmagic devices have been updated with the latest software/firmware.

I spoke to BM tech support last night and they think there is a conflict with the network Port 9990 that communicates to the BM devices. Avid may also be using the very same port at the same time, which is why I am disabled.

Avid Error

Windows 10 Enterprise - Dell Precision 7820 - 32GB RAM - DNxIQ - Nvidia Quadro P4000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jan 21 2016 10:41 PM In reply to

Re: Problem: All BM Control Software Disables Artist DNxIO

Hello,

This issue will be addressed in the next update of Media Composer.  In the next release, Media Composer will always stay connected to the DNxIO unless the user clicks the hardwre toggle in the timeline or quits the application.  

We had made a late change in Media Composer 8.4.5 to let go of the hardware when the user switches focus to address an error that was occuring in the same scenario.  This change obviously had unintended consequences- apologies for any inconvenience.  

Hope this helps.  

Dennis

• Mon, Feb 1 2016 6:32 PM In reply to

Dennis, do you know if this fix has been included in 8.5 ? The bug fix list does not state anything about the control ports for Blackmagic products. It does ntt say it was fixed and does not say if it is still present.

Windows 10 Enterprise - Dell Precision 7820 - 32GB RAM - DNxIQ - Nvidia Quadro P4000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 1 2016 7:08 PM In reply to

Hello- The the issue with switching focus from Media Composer to another application causes Media Composer to release the hardware and cause issues with capture settings is resolved in Media Composer 8.5.  We did not specifically test with VideoHub switchers or other control applications but we do not believe that the Ethernet port usage that you mentioned would have any impact on this issue or the fix for it. 

Hope this helps.

Dennis

• Mon, Feb 1 2016 7:15 PM In reply to

Thank you for the update, Dennis. I will let you know if the problem persists. It was a "solid" issue with all the Blackmagic applications. I am eager to update and try it out.

• Mon, Feb 8 2016 10:21 PM In reply to

Dennis, the 8.5 release of Media Composer solved the issue. No further problems with this.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller