Latest post Wed, Apr 22 2020 2:27 AM by Telegram!. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jan 12 2016 9:44 AM

Changing the length of AMA'd stills...

When I import using the import dialog I can change the import length down to 1 second (or less with a console command).  when I AMA to jpegs they come in as 30 seconds by default.  Can this be changed somewhere? I see nothing in the AMA settings?

Andi

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2018.12.11 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 12 2016 12:59 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

Re: Changing the length of AMA'd stills...

They should come in with the same length as the import settings

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Tue, Jan 12 2016 4:03 PM In reply to

Just checked and whatever your import still duration the AMA comes in at 30 seconds.

But don;t forget thats not really media its just a metadata flag to say how long the clip should play. Its just one frame.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Tue, Jan 12 2016 4:34 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

Pat Horridge:

Just checked and whatever your import still duration the AMA comes in at 30 seconds.

If so it´s a bug Pat , at least from what we have been told

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Mon, Apr 25 2016 6:47 PM In reply to

Anyone able to test if this is fixed in v8 and above?

It's definitely a bug in V7 as it brings them in at 30 seconds regardless of what your import settings are and then it transcodes an entire 30 second clip rather than using 1 frame and metadata resulting in a huge waste of space and waste of time.  There needs to be an AMA setting for still duration.

Andi

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2018.12.11 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Aug 22 2016 11:21 AM In reply to

• ChrisH
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 4 2008
    • London
    • Posts 113
    • Points 1,410

Seeing the same issue on MC 8.4

30 seconds seems to be the default. 

Work: Freelance, so usually a recent-ish Media Composer and ISIS/Unity Home: MC8.x, OS 10.10.5, 15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core i7, Flash HDD... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 7 2016 11:29 PM In reply to

• TrainerDave
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 5 2008
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 183
    • Points 2,350
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video

Greetings all,

FWIW, there is a workaround.  Drop a "Trim to Fill" Timewarp effect on the offending clip and drag it out to whatever duration you like.

Hope this helps,

Dave Forsyth

Home: Dell T3500 Win 7 Pro, MC7 with Symphony option Work: HP z820 workstation, 16Gb RAM Media Composer v7 with Symphony option) [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 20 2020 8:15 PM In reply to

• Jakub V
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 24 2012
    • Prague
    • Posts 32
    • Points 330

Dave thats great workaround for the edits, thanks!

Media Composer 2019.12, Win10 DELL Workstation 36300 - i9-9900K (8cores), 32 GB RAM, Nvidia P2000 5GB Mojo DX. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 21 2020 4:49 AM In reply to

Jakub V:

Dave thats great workaround for the edits, thanks!

I agree that's a great tip! Love that and also knowing an import is but 1 frame of MXF no matter the duration of masterclip. Thanks.

Now if it's OK, can I ask you Dave or anyone else: do you have a tip, how-to or method to back-time a Time-warped shot so that some frame lands precisely at an audio cue, say midway, but you wish to tweak the speed, direction and exact start & end of the clip? Is it trial and error, anchor points, cut & paste ??? I gotta know....!

Squeeze v11 EOL-Pro Sony BM2100 Telecine with variable speed controller Casio VL-Tone, CZ-101, LCD watch AJA i/o Express with Express Card Slot Ignite... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 21 2020 10:33 PM In reply to

• TrainerDave
    • Not Ranked
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 183
    • Points 2,350

Anchor frame is the answer.

Once you have the frame you want at the time you want, place a Timewarp on the clip and place a keyframe at the point in time in question, set it as the Anchor Fame and no matter what you do to the rest of the clip, that frame will be anchored to that point in time.

Hope this helps,

Dave Forsyth

Home: Dell T3500 Win 7 Pro, MC7 with Symphony option Work: HP z820 workstation, 16Gb RAM Media Composer v7 with Symphony option) [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 21 2020 11:45 PM In reply to

TrainerDave:

Anchor frame is the answer.

Once you have the frame you want at the time you want, place a Timewarp on the clip and place a keyframe at the point in time in question, set it as the Anchor Fame and no matter what you do to the rest of the clip, that frame will be anchored to that point in time.

Hope this helps,

Dave Forsyth

Thanks so much Dave, I am anxious to try it. Follow-up: can there be more than one anchor point? For instance, another anchor at a keyframe on the very top of the clip, and another anchor at a keyframe at the very tail of a clip, with various non-anchored keyframes placed on either side of that middle anchor/key frame? I'm thinking of what's sometimes required to stretch or shrink time with ping-ponging FWD & REV action.

Squeeze v11 EOL-Pro Sony BM2100 Telecine with variable speed controller Casio VL-Tone, CZ-101, LCD watch AJA i/o Express with Express Card Slot Ignite... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 22 2020 1:36 AM In reply to

• TrainerDave
    • Not Ranked
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 183
    • Points 2,350

No, i'm afraid you can only have one anchor frame.

• Wed, Apr 22 2020 2:12 AM In reply to

TrainerDave:

No, i'm afraid you can only have one anchor frame.

OK. That makes sense.

I have needed to do such things over the years, as a very rare solution to making a sync sound edit work, stretching or shrinking time to avoid a cutaway or to abbreviate the time between two on-camera sync sound moments. I simply cannot recall exactly how I did it- it was likely a combination of Anchor, Add-Edits and/or copy/pasting top to previous tail keyframes... and also perhaps pasting multiple keyframes from one add-edited section into another (main) clip, possibly toggling between fixed and elastic keyframes to make it work. Problem is it's not the kind of thing one does everyday... it's possible to deconstruct what's necessary... I just can't quite put all the pieces together without working on an actual example.

mastering that maneuver is on my Avid bucket list.

• Wed, Apr 22 2020 2:27 AM In reply to

I also have tried this same maneuver,  avoiding Timewarp completely, using instead a series of bracketed old-school speed-ups and slow-downs hovering between 95% - 105% more or less. The edits are made on matching Tinecodes. A video Mixdown of a Reverse shot could be bracketed similarly. I did this once to sync a live performance to its CD studio recorded version, with decent results.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller