Latest post Thu, Dec 3 2015 8:12 AM by Job ter Burg. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Dec 3 2015 12:23 AM

• mangoarts
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 23
    • Points 305

Back button and reverse dupe detection

Just a couple ideas that I thought Avid could add.

Back Button: I know you can pull down the clip name menu (over the source monitor) to view past clips that were loaded. Buuuuut, I don't always remember the name of the last clip. How about a back button, like on any web browser, that would allow the user to click back to the previouse clip loaded. This would save time in searching for "that clip" you just had. A limit could be set to the last 20 clips. Just click back to find the clip you were using before rather than searching open bins.

Reverse Dupe Detection: Another source monitor request. You have dupe detection in the sequene. This is great. Why not add it to the source monitor? When I load a clip into the source monitor I should be able to see what part of this clip has alread been cut into the loaded sequence. This helps when you are low on b-roll and trying to find ANYTHING new to cut in. This can be achieved by colorizing the track (with blue location line) under the source video. Same color scheme as dupe detection in the sequence but now you can find new footage by selecting areas with NO color. These are the areas that have not been used in the record monitor sequence.

Paul Marengo

Media Composer 6.5.4.7

Mac OS 10.9.5

Mac Pro (2019), 2.5 GHz 28-Core Intel Xeon W, 96 GB 2933 MHz DDR4, AMD Radeon Pro Vega II Duo 32 GB, Afterburner Card. [view my complete system specs]

Imagination is where man invents himself.

• Thu, Dec 3 2015 12:45 AM In reply to

• John Adams
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Feb 23 2013
    • Vancouver, BC
    • Posts 63
    • Points 720

Re: Back button and reverse dupe detection

Hi mangoarts-- while this tip isn't a back button per se.... it does help you find your recent clips quicker.

Hold option when you click on the drop down of loaded clips in the source or record monitor and they'll display in order from most recent to least. I find it a huge help when working fast between a handful of sources.

• Thu, Dec 3 2015 12:46 AM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,724
    • Points 44,695

mangoarts:

Reverse Dupe Detection: Another source monitor request. You have dupe detection in the sequene. This is great. Why not add it to the source monitor? When I load a clip into the source monitor I should be able to see what part of this clip has alread been cut into the loaded sequence. This helps when you are low on b-roll and trying to find ANYTHING new to cut in. This can be achieved by colorizing the track (with blue location line) under the source video. Same color scheme as dupe detection in the sequence but now you can find new footage by selecting areas with NO color. These are the areas that have not been used in the record monitor sequence.

+1  I would kill for that on my current project ....

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.12.9|OS 10.14.x - iMac Pro 2019 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Thu, Dec 3 2015 2:37 AM In reply to

jef:
    I would kill for that on my current project ....
    Possible work around  workflow if using 3 point editing .... Spanned markers. Mark In and out in source add a spanned marker an appropriate comment (timeline name and location TC?)

Or KB assign different In and out Source locator Markers  (Add Alt (windows)) to those keys for different coloured spanned markers.  You can then use in a variety of ways to fit your workflow FWIW here with current project Green marker for used Shot Mark In only . Blue marker for used shot Mark out only  Alt Green markerfor green Spanned Markers for both Mark In and Mark out.  Add KB assigned go to previous or next locator.

• Thu, Dec 3 2015 8:12 AM In reply to

+1 on both ideas.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller