Latest post Thu, Nov 26 2015 1:16 AM by AndrewAction. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Nov 25 2015 4:23 PM

• NFBIT
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, May 17 2011
    • Posts 3
    • Points 30

DNxIO vs PC thunderbold and desktop video 10.5.1

Hi,

We just received the Avid Artist DNxIO units we had ordered, and there are a few things I've been wondering about.

1. I read on this forum that the suggested configuration on a PC Workstation is to use the PCIe HIB to connect the DNxIO and keep the thunderbolt add-on card for external storage as to provide 'the best of both worlds'.  We do not use thunderbolt storage so there is no concern as to having that port free for storage.  Are there any other benefits to using the PCIe controller rather than thunderbolt on a PC Workstation?

2. Is there a difference between the driver provided by Avid and the one available on Blackmagic-Design's website? If there is a difference between the two, can Avid provide a verson 10.5 of it's driver?  There is known issue between DesktopVideo 10.5.1 and DaVinci Resolve 12.1 where attempting playback freezes the application (issue exists on both Mac and Windows).

Thanks,

Stephane

• Wed, Nov 25 2015 8:13 PM In reply to

Re: DNxIO vs PC thunderbold and desktop video 10.5.1

Hi Stephane,

For #1, there are no differences in performance between connnecting DNxIO via Thunderbolt vs. PCIe for the currnetly supported fomats and frame rates.  

Avid offers the latest version of the Desktop Video Driver- it is depositied in your Avid Master Account when you have registered your DNxIO unit and it's also avaialble on the Avid Download Center.  

I was not aware of the issue with 10.5.1 and Resolve 12.1.  I will check into this.  

Dennis

• Wed, Nov 25 2015 9:34 PM In reply to

• NFBIT
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, May 17 2011
    • Posts 3
    • Points 30

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the information.  Are there formats and frame rates on the roadmap that can be expected to require the PCIe rather than Thunderbolt2 with the DNxIO?

I saw that the driver appeared in my Avid Master Account.  Is it the exact same one that can be downloaded from BMD's website?

There are a couple of threads on BMD's forums regarding the Resolve issue; BMD support said they have replicated the issue are working on it;

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=41915&p=242889&hilit=desktop+video+10.5.1#p242398

Thanks for your help,

Stéphane

• Thu, Nov 26 2015 1:16 AM In reply to

Release today Desktop Video 10.5.2

The info shows about the release on BM Support page show this
    Fixed a bug that could cause playback problems on some DaVinci Resolve systems. 

Third Party Software Support
    Avid Media Composer 7 and 8, Avid News Cutter 11, Avid Symphony 6.5,  Avid Pro Tools 11 and 12, .... 

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller