Latest post Sun, Oct 11 2015 5:20 AM by djhg. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Oct 10 2015 2:27 PM

• djhg
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Dec 5 2012
    • Posts 78
    • Points 865

best way to replace 115 subclips with 175, if advantageous

I'm grading a project which started with beginner aspirations in my first avid days, using the default setting (115) for dnxhd sample rate for ingesting AVCHD video from a Canon XA1, and I'd now like to substitute the clips on the timeline with dnxhd 175 versions, which I will need to reingest at that setting. Perhaps someone on the forum can say if XA1 HD AVCHD can even benefit from the higher quality. The delivery method is eventually projection.

If it's of value to do this, reingesting will create new master clips, I assume with the same names as the original master clips, and if dynamic relinking is set up as I think I understand it from the manual, I will then have the choice of using either quality versions on the timeline.  I am assuming that subclips will also update to the higher quality versions if settings are right.

This seems like a delicate procedure about which I'd like to be sure before I try. I will be doing some tests on dummy projects.

I would welcome any advice on this, what pitfalls to avoid, and what functions to pay particular attention to.

MC 6.5.4 AVID-Configured HP Z400, 12GB, Nvida Quadro 2000, Windows 7, ATTO express SAS R680 RAID Adapter, Atto Media00 SCSI Disk Device, Sony FS100, Sony... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Oct 10 2015 4:32 PM In reply to

• djhg
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 78
    • Points 865

Re: best way to replace 115 subclips with 175, if advantageous

Sheesh. Been so long since I ingested the material for this project that I'd forgotten that I appear to have done so directly from tape -- I'd even forgotten that it wasn't solid state media. There's no way reingested video will resync. 115 will have to do. Still, if anyone has any comments I'll listen. ;-)

MC 6.5.4 AVID-Configured HP Z400, 12GB, Nvida Quadro 2000, Windows 7, ATTO express SAS R680 RAID Adapter, Atto Media00 SCSI Disk Device, Sony FS100, Sony... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Oct 10 2015 6:28 PM In reply to

djhg:
    There's no way reingested video will resync
    If the original tape based capture used machine control and TC (or was through Firewire) just duplicate your timeline into a new bin , select it and choose "Batch Capture"

It is mechanical and significantly slower than re-linking but has been a more bullet proof workflow since the very first Avid was sold.

• Sat, Oct 10 2015 6:42 PM In reply to

• djhg
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 78
    • Points 865

That's impressive...  Thankyou Andrew.  So all I need is do as you say with any tape-based camera.  Can you tell me how changing tapes works?

I'll be in trouble if I didn't prestripe those tapes... It was a while ago and I don't think I did for every tape... But I suppose I can browse to the right shot and tell it to start there...

I take it there would be a noticeable improvement from 115 to 175?

• Sat, Oct 10 2015 10:09 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,945
    • Points 47,605

What is the format of the tapes?  That may or may not be the most critical issue.  Some formats had timecode, some did not.

Assuming they did have time code, did whoever originally captured them change tape numbers with each tape?  And hopefully the tapes are labeled with those numbers?

Often, new users would not do this critical step and every tape would be called "1" (or such).  And every tape would have the same timecode as well.  If this is the case, then it is eye match time.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." 2021 iMac w Big Sur [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Sat, Oct 10 2015 10:26 PM In reply to

• djhg
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 78
    • Points 865

Thanks for your thoughts.

They're Canon AVCHD. THere's definitely time code. The tapes are numbered and the 115-ingested master clips are named with that number, but I'm sure I didn't make  time to prestripe them all. I'm sure it was for that reason that some of my audio came in out of sync from one particular tape. (Manually synced that, hoping I can avoid having to relink the audio.)

WHen it comes to non-pre-striped tapes  I suppose AVID will tell me or just start putting the first instance of the time code it can find on the tape.

Luckily, I captured each tape in one go and then broke them all down into subclips. Maybe that makes it easier. I can just ingest each tape and see what happens. If AVID created the subclips the first time and matched them to whatever time code it found on the 115 masters, it should be able to do so with these masters re-ingested at175?

• Sun, Oct 11 2015 2:07 AM In reply to

• gumbaedit
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Richmond, VA
    • Posts 527
    • Points 7,000

Canon AVCHD isn't a tape format, it's a file based recording format.  Are you talking about the XH A1 HDV camera or the XA1 solid state camera?  Either way, to answer your other question, no, bumping to 175 doesnt get you anything better for picture quality.

AVCHD and HDV are both 8 bit, 4:2:0 color space at 24Mbps and 25Mbps respectivley.  Anything above DNX115 is overkill and you won't see a benefit that is worth the increase in storage space.  Also, regarldess of timecode, HDV is notorius for not staying in sync when you re-diidgitize the tapes.

6 core Late 2013 MacPro 3.0 gHz, 16 gigs RAM, MC 8.8.5 on OSX 10.12.4, DNxIO, Flanders CM250, BMD Desktop Video version 10.9.1 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Oct 11 2015 5:20 AM In reply to

• djhg
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 78
    • Points 865

It's with some embarassment that I realize it's been so long that clearly I shouldnt trust myself to be discussing the source! But it's all moot anyway if there's indeed no benefit to 175 and I am now relieved that there's no need to re-ingest. Thanks for the help.  

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller