Latest post Fri, Aug 21 2015 2:43 AM by Sylvain P. 34 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (35 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Aug 13 2015 11:48 AM

• Tom
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, May 24 2011
    • Wiesbaden
    • Posts 17
    • Points 210

MXF-Files not recognized on external drive

Hi there,

yesterday I got some  MXF-Files that need to be part in a project with an external HDD (Intenso 4GB -USB 3).

I put them in the well known structure: Avid MediaFiles --> MXF --> 1 (2,3,4,5.... all tried)

When I try to find them via MediaTool MC 8.4 cant see them.

When copying the files to an internal Raid everything is fine.

In both Setups I searched on the Target Drive in with "all projects" selected.

My workaround is now to export these clips as "same as source" and import them via "fast Import" on that external HDD.

Any idea what is wrong? 

System:  HP840 - 16 GB RAM - MC8.4

Best regards,

Grundton

different Setups - all certified HP - systems [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 13 2015 11:55 AM In reply to

Re: MXF-Files not recognized on external drive

With in MC create a title or tone media or anything and save that to that external drive. Does that media show up in the 1 folder in the folder structure you have created ? (it must)

That media should be added into the 1 folder if you have media in there already delete the two database files msmFMID.pmr & msmMMOB.mdb Quit MC and relaunch

You sholuld see MC scan that 1 folder and re make the databases. open media tool and you should see all the clips in that 1 folder (sadly Media Tool has never had the ability to identify the folder only the Drive letter)

Try delete databases in othe rnumber folders to see if they rebuild as well.

Are permissions on the folders set correctly?

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | www.vet-training.co.uk|

• Thu, Aug 13 2015 12:20 PM In reply to

What's the disk format of that external drive?  NTFS?  exFAT?  FAT32?  HFS+?

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.15.6, Avid Media Composer 2020.12 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 13 2015 12:25 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Not Ranked
    • Wiesbaden
    • Posts 17
    • Points 210

Hi Pat,

database files deleted in all the folders yesterday - forgot to mention.

I followed your suggestion to create a title via "title tool" - worked but took ages to save.

deleted the database files - restart - scanning - title was online.

media tool still isnt able to find the other files.

Perrmissions checked: everyone is set on full access.

No other permissions on that folder.

by the way: there is no share on that disk.

Regards,

Tom

• Thu, Aug 13 2015 12:26 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Not Ranked
    • Wiesbaden
    • Posts 17
    • Points 210

It is NTSF

• Thu, Aug 13 2015 12:28 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Not Ranked
    • Wiesbaden
    • Posts 17
    • Points 210

NTFS - of course - it to hot here in GermanyCool

• Thu, Aug 13 2015 12:36 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Not Ranked
    • Wiesbaden
    • Posts 17
    • Points 210

Meanwhile I checked this with another externat NTFS HDD - same result. No clips in MediaTool.

• Thu, Aug 13 2015 1:07 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,565
    • Points 255,455
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Hey Tom

How much space do you have on the dirve?

While the computer itself can support a lot of space ( terrabytes)  after 250+GB of storage has been taken up with media, the Avid begins to lose its way when dealing with Media DataBases.

This can lead to the system 'losing' media or incorrectly show media as "Offline". 

Very often the Media Databases may not be successfully rebuilding themselves (the msm.MMOB and msm.FMID files located inside each of the OMFI MediaFiles Folder, which is causing speed and stability problems as you begin to fill up the drives with media.

When the situation occurs with the mxf files, are the drive virtually empty?  

Marianna

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 13 2015 1:16 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Not Ranked
    • Wiesbaden
    • Posts 17
    • Points 210

Hi Marianna,

the drive is asolutely "fresh" - out of the box. Only a few gigs used for clips and pics related to the project.

Also on the other external drive I used for testing is enough space - not only virtually.

Regards,

Tom

Tom

• Thu, Aug 13 2015 1:23 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,565
    • Points 255,455
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Wondering is a fresh NTFS format on the one thats empty might fix it.... checking with support on this one as I am stumped.

Marianna

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 13 2015 1:35 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Not Ranked
    • Wiesbaden
    • Posts 17
    • Points 210

Marianna,

I will try this with a completely fresh HDD - as far I have one on stock.

Thanks to all four your time,

Tom

• Thu, Aug 13 2015 2:18 PM In reply to

Antivirus software causing an issue? Try disabling. Try a speed test app on the drive to confirm expecte dread write speeds.

A fresh format would ensure the ownership and permissions are correct but tends to have a negative impact on files that existed on the drive before the format...

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | www.vet-training.co.uk|

• Thu, Aug 13 2015 2:35 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Not Ranked
    • Wiesbaden
    • Posts 17
    • Points 210

No Antivirus installed.

Naturally I would move the files to another destination before formatting the HDD :-)

Or do you think of another issue I dont think about.

Is this probably a 8.4 issue. On the differerent sites the machines I worked with in the last 8 Month  were

on 8.3.1. No such problems. This would be a good information because I have to reinstall my private system :-)

8.3.1 or 8.4 ?

Tom

• Thu, Aug 13 2015 3:22 PM In reply to

I'm going to ask a stupid question, but do you have the Avid Mediafiles folder sitting directly at the root of the drive, correct?

Follow me at www.twitter.com/redarrowryan [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 13 2015 4:00 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,462
    • Points 18,160

An equally stupid question, these are mxf OP-atom files and not OP-1a, correct?

Page 1 of 3 (35 items) 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller