Latest post Fri, Aug 14 2015 10:41 PM by ShortcutHunter. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jul 4 2015 6:56 AM

Newbie export issues

Hi folks,

have a few questions about exporting, any help greatly appreciated:

1) Is there a batch export in Avid? Or is the only way to select multiple sequences in a bin and export

2) What is an ama export and how does it differ from a normal export?

3) When exporting via mixdown, a great dialogue appears with dropdowns allowing choice of codec and destination for the export, bin and volume. But when exporting without mixdown, this doesn't appear, only the choice of container/ basic format (e.g. send to QT movie). Exporting like this produced an 'AVdn' (aka VC-3) file that won't even ama back into Avid, nor play on anything else! How do I pick the codec in detail without the mixdown dialogue box?

Huge thanks,

Will

MBP Mid 2014 2.5 Ghz Intel Core i7. 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 Intel Iris Pro 1536 OSX Yosemite 10.10 [view my complete system specs]

Refugee from the FCP bloodbath!

Shortcuts sought:

1) SELECT KEYFRAMES

2) ENTER SLIDE MODE

3) SHOW KEYBOARD

4) NAVIGATE FROM ONE TAB TO ANOTHER IN PROJECT MENU

5) NAVIGATE FROM HAVING A BIN SELECTED, TO SCROLLING DOWN/ NAVIGATING WITHIN THE BIN

6) ZOOM IN TO EFFECTS EDITOR KEYFRAME TRACKS

7) LABEL CLIPS

8) MOVE CLIPS AROUND VERTICALLY ON TIMELINE

• Sat, Jul 4 2015 11:40 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,545
    • Points 64,620
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Newbie export issues

Answers correspond to your numbers:

1.  Select multiple Sequences and then hit export.  You'll be asked the location for the first export, the rest will all land in the same location, using the same export settings.

2.  Long-GOP AMA sources or Sequences can't be exported as Same As Source Quicktimes.  You need to Transcode or Convert to a compatible codec.

3.  Mixdowns are not exactly the same as exports, although you can export a mixdown.  Mixdowns convert a sequence into a single clip with a chosen codec.  Exports convert a sequence based upon the Export setting that is selected or by clicking on the Options button on the bottom of the page when the Export location is selected. Export settings can be modified, changed or duplicated on the Settings tab in the Project window).

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Sat, Jul 18 2015 12:36 PM In reply to

Hi hbrock, thanks for the info!

Am still pretty confused though.

1) Ok cool, thanks for confirming

2) Hmm, so ama exports include a transcode in the export?

3) Yes am aware of mixdowns and how they differ from exporting no problem. My issue is, even when I click one of the export settings in the settings tab, or click on the options button in export dialogue, I still don't get what seem to be all the export options, or even as many as you get when you mixdown. 

How for instance do you select whether you want to export a DNx185 instead of 120 without mixdown? How do you select whether you want to export interlaced or prog? How many channels of audio you want to export, stereo pairs or mono? If you have a Kona 3 card installed, where do you pick the AJA preset to export to that codec?

Huge thanks, and apologies if these are dumb questions!

MBP Mid 2014 2.5 Ghz Intel Core i7. 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 Intel Iris Pro 1536 OSX Yosemite 10.10 [view my complete system specs]

Shortcuts sought:

1) SELECT KEYFRAMES

2) ENTER SLIDE MODE

3) SHOW KEYBOARD

5) NAVIGATE FROM HAVING A BIN SELECTED, TO SCROLLING DOWN/ NAVIGATING WITHIN THE BIN

7) LABEL CLIPS

• Mon, Jul 20 2015 4:11 PM In reply to

ShortcutHunter:
    How for instance do you select whether you want to export a DNx185 instead of 120 without mixdown?

In general, you want to avoid using the QuickTime engine to export (for a variety of qulaity reasons), so you should make sure your sequence is already the resolution you want (either because that's how you've been editing or you do a mixdown first) and then export "Avid Same as Source."

How do you select whether you want to export interlaced or prog?

That's based on the resolution you choose.  It's one or ther other.

How do you select whether you want to export interlaced or prog?

You can create a custom export at whatever resolution you wish, but again, it's not the desired workflow.

How many channels of audio you want to export, stereo pairs or mono?

There is an audio format tab in the export dialog...you can select mono, stereo, 5.1, 7.1, or Direct Out.  But note, you can only export Direct Out if using Avid SAS.

If you have a Kona 3 card installed, where do you pick the AJA preset to export to that codec?

Again, that's a custom export and you'll get that option if you select Custom > Format Options > Settings.

HTH

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Mon, Jul 20 2015 4:28 PM In reply to

As others have said. You can export and use the custom option. This takes you to the legacy QT back end and you can then choose to override many of the Avid export options. This causes much confussion as you now have to places to set size, framerate ect. Also as it's using the QT engine its slow and won;t make use of multiple cores. Plus you run the risk of QT gamma shifting. All in all not a good route to go.

The best way is to make your resolution choices in MC (video and audio mixdowns) build your export sequence and then do a QT Same as Source export. Then use an external app for any furtehr encoding.

Leaving MC free for you to continue editing.

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Filed under:
  • Wed, Jul 22 2015 1:09 PM In reply to

Awesome stuff, thanks guys. Looks like the custom format options was what I was looking for. Okay here's a dumb question:

"Again, that's a custom export and you'll get that option if you select Custom > Format Options > Settings."

Um, where do I find this?

I'm getting that for any advanced or high quality workflow you really need to mixdown before exporting, is that true? Was looking for a way to avoid this as time is an issue, but top quality outputs also required.

Let’s say I want to import DNxHD, edit, then export 23.98psf ProRes 422 HQ 1080i AJA Kona .mov with 12 channels of discrete audio, I should make a new project with that custom format, edit, mixdown, then export same as source? What would be the best workflow here?

Thanks,

Will

Shortcuts sought:

1) SELECT KEYFRAMES

2) ENTER SLIDE MODE

3) SHOW KEYBOARD

7) LABEL CLIPS

• Wed, Jul 22 2015 3:59 PM In reply to

ShortcutHunter:
    Again, that's a custom export and you'll get that option if you select Custom > Format Options > Settings."  Um, where do I find this?

When you select a QuickTime movie for export, you get "Same as Source" and "Custom" as choices below.  Select Custom and Format Options... will appear.  Click that, then Settings under "Video" in the next window that opens.  That's where you choose your codec and certain parameters (like RGB/709 color space) may be available depending on which you choose.

As for your workflow question, you can only output discreet audio when using a Same as Source export.  So I would edit DNxHD and export a DHxHD QuickTime with 12 audio channels.  Then use another program (like Squeeze) to convert to the codec you want.

I know that Avid supports ProRes, but I'm not sure if the AJA Kona flavor is identical and also supported.  If it is, then you could do a mixdown to ProRes, and do an Same as Source export as ProRes with 12 channels of audio.  If it is supported, you could also just ingest everything as ProRes and edit with ProRes instead of introducing DnxHD in the mix.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Thu, Jul 23 2015 1:00 PM In reply to

"If it is supported, you could also just ingest everything as ProRes and edit with ProRes instead of introducing DnxHD in the mix."

Ah yeah, that makes sense. Wow I really hope it is supported! Is there any way to find out? Assumed that as Avid supports Prores it would support AJA Kona Prores. If not I am in some trouble as was was touting this as a faster way to process incoming DnxHD material than an FCP7 workflow. Taking the output into another program to transcode would completely defeat the purpose.

Does anyone have any experience using Kona with Media Composer? Surely once installed and configured the AJA codecs will be available to be used within Media Composer? Thanks for any help

Will

Shortcuts sought:

1) SELECT KEYFRAMES

2) ENTER SLIDE MODE

3) SHOW KEYBOARD

7) LABEL CLIPS

• Mon, Jul 27 2015 1:06 PM In reply to

Hey guys,

does anyone have any experience with this? I guess what I'm asking is, is it ever possible to export AJA Kona codecs from Avid Media Composer? Thanks

Shortcuts sought:

1) SELECT KEYFRAMES

2) ENTER SLIDE MODE

3) SHOW KEYBOARD

7) LABEL CLIPS

• Mon, Jul 27 2015 1:22 PM In reply to

You might be thinking about this too much - AJA Kona cards don't have codecs.  They're simply hardware cards that transmit data.  Then, the software (FCP, Avid, QuickTime, etc.) is what encodes that data into the necessary codecs.  There is no such thing as "AJA Kona ProRes," essentially.  ProRes is ProRes, whatever software creates it.  If you were to check the info of a clip you captured via a Kona card, or exported using a Kona-installed preset, it would simply be "Apple ProRes," just the same as if FCP or Compressor or Avid MC generated it.

You may be thinking of the presets that the AJA software installed into FCP - which essentially were presets to ensure that created files were at standard frame sizes and rates that AJA hardware could play.  For the most part, they were redundant in addition to the export presets that FCP already had - but they were good "go-to" presets because FCP7 supported ANY rate and size you wanted - which meant that it was VERY easy to export completely non-standard files.  If you used a AJA preset, your file would play properly through AJA hardware.

Since Avid only supports standard broadcast framerates anyway, and its project presets are standard frame sizes, and AJA hardware supports all of those broadcast specs, then "Same-as-source" exports as ProRes are fine.  You do not need AJA-specific presets in order to assure this.

I'm not sure about audio channel configuration - but if I want to export ProResHQ 1080i59.94 - I have my 1080i59.94 project open, set my render codec to ProResHQ in the Media Creation settings, and then do a Same-as-Source QT Export.  That should get me a ProResHQ 1080i59.94 MOV file.  If you have mixed media in the timeline, it might output one of those codecs instead - I forget how the behavior works.  However, if you mixdown to ProResHQ, put that in a timeline on its own alongside the audio, and do a same-as-source export, it will output ProResHQ.

Short version - you really should not need "custom export" here.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.15.6, Avid Media Composer 2020.12 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Aug 4 2015 3:05 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,545
    • Points 64,620
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

usatraveler:
    If you have mixed media in the timeline, it might output one of those codecs instead - I forget how the behavior works.

The first clip on the timeline determines the export codec for the rest of the "same as source" export.  If you're doing a fade up from black and get unexpected results, try doing a dissolve from a blank title in the chosen codec instead.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Wed, Aug 5 2015 1:51 PM In reply to

Hey guys,

thanks, that helps.

"You may be thinking of the presets that the AJA software installed into FCP - which essentially were presets to ensure that created files were at standard frame sizes and rates that AJA hardware could play. "

Yes I guess that is partly it. How do I get the AJA software to install them in Avid? That's pretty much what I'm looking for. So far it seems that it may require one or all of the 'AJA Control Panel' software, 'Avid Open I/O' plugin, and possibly further AJA drivers/ configuration software. And should I be looking for those output options to appear in Export/Custom/Format or in Mixdown options or both?

My understanding is that if I just pick 'Apple ProRes 422' from the codec list the encode will be performed by the computer's native graphics card, but if I pick 'AJA Kona Apple ProRes 422' the encode will be done faster and creating possibly a better quality output by the Kona card hardware.

Thanks

Shortcuts sought:

1) SELECT KEYFRAMES

2) ENTER SLIDE MODE

3) SHOW KEYBOARD

7) LABEL CLIPS

• Wed, Aug 5 2015 3:44 PM In reply to

That's what I'm getting at - you can't install the presets, because there's no need to do that.  Work in your Avid timeline, mixdown to your desired output codec, export same-as-source, and you have exactly the same type of ProRes file that you'd have if you did a "AJA ProRes" export in FCP7.  The end result is exactly the same, using the same codec.

The hardware has NOTHING at all to do with the export.  The hardware doesn't do any ProRes encoding at all.  It's all software.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.15.6, Avid Media Composer 2020.12 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Aug 9 2015 3:29 PM In reply to

Hmmm, okay thanks. Well in that case I guess my next question is, what is the point in having an AJA Kona card (as in this page (https://www.aja.com/en/support/avid. See also this discussion: http://community.avid.com/forums/t/118541.aspx), and what does it do? :D Can I ever leverage Kona hardware to export from Avid rather than using the native graphics card?

Thanks again

Shortcuts sought:

1) SELECT KEYFRAMES

2) ENTER SLIDE MODE

3) SHOW KEYBOARD

7) LABEL CLIPS

• Sun, Aug 9 2015 7:31 PM In reply to

The point is broadcast-quality previewing, a broadcast-quality output signal from your Avid into switchers, decks, etc., and capture capabilities.

You can't leverage Kona hardware to export.  NO software leveraged Kona hardware to export - not even FCP7, Premiere Pro, or anything else.

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller