Latest post Wed, May 27 2015 4:09 PM by Brickwad. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, May 21 2015 10:41 AM

letterboxing for logos

Hi,

In MC7, how do you letterbox (or some other solution) a finished edit set to 16:9, to make space for logos, web address, etc.?

DC

Asus ZenBook UX534FTC_UX534FT running Windows Home 64-bit Processor: Core i7, GTX 1650 Installed memory (RAM): 16.00 GB Installed: Avid MC 2021.12 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 21 2015 1:41 PM In reply to

Re: letterboxing for logos

Just add a new video track above and drop the resize effect on it. Switch the track controls to monitor this new track.

Open the Effect Editor.

In the effect controls you can crop, scale or position and it will have an effect on all the video tracks below.

MC 8.8.2 OSX 10.12.3 Quicktime 7.6.6 Nitris DX [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 21 2015 3:43 PM In reply to

Brilliant, got it. Just your opinion, while keeping the scaling for X as close to 100 as possible, what might you recommend for the Y ?  There may be c.6 logos to run in the black area beneath.

Asus ZenBook UX534FTC_UX534FT running Windows Home 64-bit Processor: Core i7, GTX 1650 Installed memory (RAM): 16.00 GB Installed: Avid MC 2021.12 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 22 2015 12:05 PM In reply to

Sorry, but the requirement has now changed.  Please help.  Keeping the video image/proportions as-is, and now running a banner with c.60-70% opacity at the bottom of the screen with all logos contained within.  Effectively this portion of the video material is running 'underneath' the banner.  How to do this?

• Fri, May 22 2015 2:59 PM In reply to

Anyone ???

• Fri, May 22 2015 3:17 PM In reply to

• Brickwad
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Simsbury, CT
    • Posts 950
    • Points 11,760

Do you have photoshop? If so, create a 60-70% transparent "stripe" that runs along the bottom of the screen. (hint- Make your background color the same color as the stripe) Make an alpha channel, and import into avid.  Place it on a video track one above the moving video.  Then, create a new track for each of your logos (I assume they each have an alpha channel, if not, you can crop them in effects mode). Place them on each track in staggered intervals This will determine when each appears, and how far apart they are spaced when they move - you have to experiment with the timing.

Then, it's just a matter of entering effects mode and using "position." Make sure you have a starting keyframe in the position where you want each logo to start, and en ending keyframe where you want it to finish.  for example, you might want it to start off screen to the left, and finish off screen to the right.  Take note of the X and Y values, and apply them to each chip.

You have to play around with this to get it the way you want it.

Other than this method, you can experiment with it in Avid FX or After Effects.

Hope this helps . . .

1 MC4 Nitris DX on 12 core 2.66 mac pro 6 Gigs of Ram, 2 Symphony Nitris DX on eight core mac pro with 12 gig ram, 3 MC7 on Mac Pro, IMAC, and Macbook... [view my complete system specs]

WWLD?

• Fri, May 22 2015 6:42 PM In reply to

Supermandan1:

Sorry, but the requirement has now changed.  Please help.  Keeping the video image/proportions as-is, and now running a banner with c.60-70% opacity at the bottom of the screen with all logos contained within.  Effectively this portion of the video material is running 'underneath' the banner.  How to do this?

1. make an all black title in the title tool (fill the screen with a big black square).

2. edit it into your timeline on a track above all your video tracks.

3. in effects mode, adjust the position and foreground (opacity) so it's where you want it and as transparent as you want it.

As for the logos, I'd do that the way Andy suggested already.

Media Composer 2021.12 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, May 27 2015 3:14 PM In reply to

• Brickwad
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Simsbury, CT
    • Posts 950
    • Points 11,760

Were you able to acheive the desired outcome here? Just curious . . .

1 MC4 Nitris DX on 12 core 2.66 mac pro 6 Gigs of Ram, 2 Symphony Nitris DX on eight core mac pro with 12 gig ram, 3 MC7 on Mac Pro, IMAC, and Macbook... [view my complete system specs]

WWLD?

• Wed, May 27 2015 3:37 PM In reply to

Yes, thank you... and sorry for not coming back. I liked the resizing option, as first suggested above, although the requirement then changed. As per friend's request, it was simply opening up Marquee, create & adjust a rectangle in white with 60% opacity, then import all the various logos and place within this rectangle.

• Wed, May 27 2015 4:09 PM In reply to

• Brickwad
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Simsbury, CT
    • Posts 950
    • Points 11,760

Glad it worked out! There are always a few different ways to get the job done.

WWLD?

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller