Latest post Fri, Jan 16 2015 3:06 PM by Job ter Burg. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jan 15 2015 1:05 AM

• Vincent
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Nov 19 2011
    • Fort Lauderdale, FL
    • Posts 18
    • Points 280

Can MC8 mark shot changes in a clip?

I remember using a feature years ago that would put locators on shot changes when ingesting DV tape material.  This is in the DV/HDV Options menu in the Capture Settings.... However, today I rarely see HDV tape.  I also ingest most my material using Capture Manager and AirSpeeds.  

Can anything be done as material is ingesting to mark shot changes? Can it be done to an existing clip already captured?

My work flow now is to scroll through these clips on a timeline and put an "add edit" on each shot change.  This is very time consuming.  I do this so I can rearrange the specific shots into a different order.

Thoughts?

HP Z820 Workstation, Windows 7 Professional - Service Pack 1 - 64 bit, Intel Xeon E5-2640 @ 2.50GHz dual processors, 16 GB memory, Media Composer... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jan 15 2015 7:23 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,626
    • Points 18,635

Re: Can MC8 mark shot changes in a clip?

Vincent:

I remember using a feature years ago that would put locators on shot changes when ingesting DV tape material.  This is in the DV/HDV Options menu in the Capture Settings.... However, today I rarely see HDV tape.  I also ingest most my material using Capture Manager and AirSpeeds.  

Can anything be done as material is ingesting to mark shot changes? Can it be done to an existing clip already captured?

My work flow now is to scroll through these clips on a timeline and put an "add edit" on each shot change.  This is very time consuming.  I do this so I can rearrange the specific shots into a different order.

Thoughts?

A shot change on DV tape marked a stop and start of record generally - that's how the feature worked and there was  flag inserted in the DV stream. It isn't a problem for most users these days as new clips are created when a camera starts and stops so you get a brand new clip anyway. This would also work if you were editing to DV tape (machine to machine). I can't recall if it would work if you were just laying off a master.. I don't think so.

The only way to flag shot changes in an existing master edit (ie if your cutting stuff that exists as say a master quicktime or mp4 that already has edits in it) is to either do it manually or you must have access to an EDL/AAF/OMF  

If you are doing this to grade each individual shot, the question is do you have access to an EDL or AAF of the original cut? If you do you can use this method to auto-notch in Avid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCYSV_SA65M

The only other method I could think of was to ingest the master clip into After Effects first and use a plug in like Magnum - the edit detector to split it up then export back out the individual clips.

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Thu, Jan 15 2015 8:19 AM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 1,255
    • Points 14,170

There are various third party apps that will 'scene detect' and give you an EDL or aaf that can the be used to 'notch' the master clip within an avid sequence.

I've found Resolve light does a good job.

The steps are:

In resolve media page -

1 find clip on drive -

2 right click and 'scene detect' and 'start'

3 refine detection manually as necessary

4 'add clips to media pool'

5 switch to edit page

6 create new timeline min timeline panel

7 switch to media pool panel, select all clips and 'F9' to insert to timeline

8 (here sometimes I have to wait a while if there are a lot of clips)

9 export resulting timeline as aaf, switch to Avid

In Avid:

10 import aaf

11 put original clip on V2 of Aaf

12 step thru offline edits on V1 to check that cuts match v2 content scene changes

13 add pan & scan effect to v2.

14 subdivide p&s effect using v1

15 remove all resulting p&s effects - leaving add edits

16 tidy up by moving all to v1 and deleting v2

Voila- a notched master. And yes I would like avid to do this- long standing feature request.

iMac 5K on High Sierra MC 2020.5, HP z420 MC 2020.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 16 2015 2:26 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,626
    • Points 18,635

TrevorA:

There are various third party apps that will 'scene detect' and give you an EDL or aaf that can the be used to 'notch' the master clip within an avid sequence.

I've found Resolve light does a good job.

The steps are:

In resolve media page -

1 find clip on drive -

2 right click and 'scene detect' and 'start'

3 refine detection manually as necessary

4 'add clips to media pool'

5 switch to edit page

6 create new timeline min timeline panel

7 switch to media pool panel, select all clips and 'F9' to insert to timeline

8 (here sometimes I have to wait a while if there are a lot of clips)

9 export resulting timeline as aaf, switch to Avid

In Avid:

10 import aaf

11 put original clip on V2 of Aaf

12 step thru offline edits on V1 to check that cuts match v2 content scene changes

13 add pan & scan effect to v2.

14 subdivide p&s effect using v1

15 remove all resulting p&s effects - leaving add edits

16 tidy up by moving all to v1 and deleting v2

Voila- a notched master. And yes I would like avid to do this- long standing feature request.

Nice Trevor - never thought of using Resolve. Ideally though you want access to the original cutlist either as an EDL or AAF then you never have to leave Avid

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Fri, Jan 16 2015 1:41 PM In reply to

• Vincent
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Nov 19 2011
    • Fort Lauderdale, FL
    • Posts 18
    • Points 280

Thanks. I will definitely be giving Resolve a try. I'm usually capturing satellite feeds, so very rarely have access to a timeline. Cheers. 

HP Z820 Workstation, Windows 7 Professional - Service Pack 1 - 64 bit, Intel Xeon E5-2640 @ 2.50GHz dual processors, 16 GB memory, Media Composer... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 16 2015 3:06 PM In reply to

http://24p.com/wordpress/?p=35

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller