Latest post Fri, Jun 14 2024 12:04 PM by Telegram!. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Sep 26 2014 11:44 AM

• EveyD
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 16 2011
    • England
    • Posts 11
    • Points 155

Match frame / Find bin issue

Dear community.

we're experiencing a problem match framing to clips in our scene bins and wondered if anyone could shed any light?... 

We are currently rebuilding our Avid project. We brought in all our rushes into 'DAY' bins. These are bins of everything shot per day - to messy to work from! We then neatly sorted all the clips into 'SCENE' bins for our Editor to use. We brought in our sequence from an AAF.

We're in the process of relinking our offline sequence to the clips in the scene bins (using 'relink to selected items in all open bins' option) to ensure that when our editor needs to match back, she will be taken to the organised SCENE bin and not the messy DAY bin. 

This seems to work for the most part, but quite a lot of the clips always match back to the DAY bin. Even if we try relinking to the SCENE bin again (the DAY bin remaining closed). It will see the clip in the SCENE bin if we 'find bin' with that scene open. But once all bins are closed, some of the clips always go back to their DAY bin...

Each clip was handled in exactly the same way > Brought in first to the DAY bin then alt+dragged into it's SCENE bin. We have 2 Avids across Unity, and it seems to have made no difference which machine we created the scene bins on. It's sporadic which clips are matching to their DAY rather than their SCENE bin.

I've just tried overwriting one problem clip in the sequence with the same clip from it's SCENE bin. It successfully matched back to the scene bin - but this is a very time consuming workaround and we have a lot to get through.

Is there a way to always ensure which bin a clip will match back to? Any help much appreciated.

Working on Media Composer version 7.0.3.

• Fri, Sep 26 2014 1:35 PM In reply to

Re: Match frame / Find bin issue

What happens if you delete the day bin and then do find bin? do you get the bin not found message?

As a test could you try duplicating the clips in the bin (to get a .copy version) and then drag those to a new bin and relink the sequence to those.

Alt drag clips makes a clone of the clip so a relationship is maintained between both copies (clones). using duplicate you create a standalone version still linked to the media.

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET (Retired Early 2022)

Still offering training and support for: QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more.

Mainly delivered remotely via zoom but onsite possible.

T 07581 201248 | E [email protected]

Filed under:
  • Thu, Jun 13 2024 7:19 PM In reply to

Resurrecting this thread- All our dailies start life in a DAY bin, and I edit from the sorted SCENE bins. But half the time, Find Bin opens the DAY bin. And I have never opened the DAY bin on my machine- my assistant does it on his.  The twist is we're on a shared project in the cloud- Mimiq for bin locking, media on Lucidlink (great setup, unless it's the cause of this issue).

Also, half the time (not always the same time) the bin view is not saved and it's not either of our views- just looks like gobbledegook -spelling? :)

Thoughts appreciated.

2018 Mac Mini, 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7, 64 GB RAM Monterey 12.4 MC 2022.7 BlackMagic UltraStudio3G [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 14 2024 10:59 AM In reply to

This is an annoying problem, so what I instruct AE's to do is not copy the synced clips to the scene bins, but to move them, so that the Day bin ends up empty! They get nervous about this, and secretly make a back-up, but it seems to stop matching back to the day bin.
    Symphony 2018.12.13 Mac Pro 2x2.66 6-core 32GB Ram Aja Kona Lhi. MC 2018.12.13 OS 10.13.4 Mac Pro 5.1 2x2.97 6-core 32GB ram Aja Kona 4, SNS SANmp 2x Infortrend... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 14 2024 11:16 AM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 1,072
    • Points 13,625

I wonder would happen if you trashed the Day bin into Avid's Trash?

You can always re-instate this bin if/when required, but it might solve the match frame issue.

HP Z800, HP G9 Fury, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Decklink 4K, Ultrastudio 3G/4K, Symphony 2018 & 2023, Boland BVB25 OLED, JVC DTV1910 HD CRT, Eizo... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 14 2024 12:04 PM In reply to

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller