Latest post Wed, Jul 1 2015 5:53 PM by Jim Gilson. 135 replies.
Page 8 of 10 (136 items) « First ... < Previous 6 7 8 9 10 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, May 6 2015 12:55 PM In reply to

Re: Media Composer and "Yosemite"

Gary,

I have found that unlike every other foreign suport, the people I've dealt with overseas from Avid support are rockin'. I realize I sound like a paid Avid cheerleader in my recent posts but I still call this dude who's way the heck "over there". Admittedly I haven't called very often as I try and learn how to solve it myself but so far for me, so good. Sure others will weigh in, eh!

Cheers Northern Neighbor!

Symphony and ProTools systems and we push them... [view my complete system specs]

don wilson
    V3DFilms.com
    americanamediainc.com

email
    : don@V3Dfilms.com
    Studio: 818.358-4151
    Mobile: 818-267-7181
    IMDB

• Wed, May 6 2015 6:49 PM In reply to

• GaryF
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 30 2012
    • Posts 104
    • Points 1,535

So I guess everyone gets hooked up with overseas tech support when they call 1 800 800 AVID. Americans and everyone else.

I paid 300 US a year for tech support and was being connected to people (for them it was 3 am in the morning) who didn't even know what an EDL was. Honestly they knew the barest minimum about the software.  I seriously expect to have someone knowledgable if I am to pay $300 per year or $40-$70 monthely for MC 8 and the levels of support when they are useless. Thus I am in no hurry to upgrade to MC 8 and will use MC 7 till the day I can no longer. Ultimately I demanded and got my 300 refunded for my support contract last year. I had such a bad experience I do not want to give Avid anymore money ever. 

Thanks

• Wed, May 6 2015 7:34 PM In reply to

• Brickwad
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Simsbury, CT
    • Posts 950
    • Points 11,760

Donny Wilson/V3D Films:
    Marianna has become a great pal and the most responsive and amazing representative of any of the multitude of companies I deal with

I whole-heartedly agree! Not only does Marianna help you personally, (Where else do you get that?) she even remembers your name!  And how many thousands of people does she help? She really knows how to make a person feel special! She is completely and totally awesome, and Avid wouldn't be half the company it is without her.

Love you MM!

1 MC4 Nitris DX on 12 core 2.66 mac pro 6 Gigs of Ram, 2 Symphony Nitris DX on eight core mac pro with 12 gig ram, 3 MC7 on Mac Pro, IMAC, and Macbook... [view my complete system specs]

WWLD?

• Thu, May 7 2015 8:16 AM In reply to

• filmfriseur
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 8 2013
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Posts 63
    • Points 560

Yes

amc 2018.4 - symphony . 3.46 dual 6core mac pro (early2009, upgraded to westmere 5.1, OSX 10.12.6). 64 gb . msi gtx 970 . 2x 27" monitor . 1x 24"... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, May 10 2015 2:22 PM In reply to

• Jim Gilson
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Aug 12 2011
    • Kennesaw, GA
    • Posts 79
    • Points 995

Media Composer is slow as molasses on this new 12 core Mac Pro running Yosemite.  It's been since October for crying out loud!  If Mavericks worked, surely your tech team is capable of making Yosemite work, too?

MC 8.4. Mac Pro 12 core, LG 31MU97 Yosemite 10.10.5 on both X58A UD3R FF, K-5000, i7 970, 24g ram, USB3, SATA 6g. MC 8.4, OCZ 512 system drive,... [view my complete system specs]

"It's ok.  They're speaking Chinese."  Firesign Theatre

• Mon, May 11 2015 1:15 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Bainbridge Island, WA
    • Posts 5,564
    • Points 64,835
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

It's only affecting 10.10 and the bug has been logged with Apple.  First off, go back one page on this thread to see what's been happening.  Second, if it's such a big problem for you the solution right now is to go back to 10.9 or 10.8.  If it's a Apple problem rather than something that Avid can fix you might be barking up the wrong tree.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Mon, May 11 2015 1:26 AM In reply to

I heard through an high-level Adobe connect that most of these things are Apple issues. Not surprised. I've been lucky I guess with 10.10, MC 8.3.1 and 12 Core Westmere...Weird things do happen I admit. I have Mavericks on a second internal SSD fully cloned with software and am starting a huge initense project so will report back.

Love all you mothers out there! Two and four legged.

Symphony and ProTools systems and we push them... [view my complete system specs]

don wilson
    V3DFilms.com
    americanamediainc.com

email
    : don@V3Dfilms.com
    Studio: 818.358-4151
    Mobile: 818-267-7181
    IMDB

• Mon, May 11 2015 12:26 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,570
    • Points 255,530
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Jim

WE hear you - honestly we do.  My hope is the next release of Apple 10.10.x and the next Avid upgrade coming soon... fix this compeltely.

I am going to check in with jeremy the Mac god at Avid and see if this is still th plan.

Marianna

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 13 2015 3:12 PM In reply to

• Jim Gilson
    • Not Ranked
    • Kennesaw, GA
    • Posts 79
    • Points 995

online and phone with Apple for a couple of hours last night.  12Core Mac Pro was locking up Media Composer, Photoshop and Disk Utility.  They suggested I switch to Adobe because "their tech staff is highly responsive".  They also inferred that Avid's tech staff is, likely, too overwhelmed for their skill set.

MC 8.4. Mac Pro 12 core, LG 31MU97 Yosemite 10.10.5 on both X58A UD3R FF, K-5000, i7 970, 24g ram, USB3, SATA 6g. MC 8.4, OCZ 512 system drive,... [view my complete system specs]

• Thu, May 14 2015 5:50 PM In reply to

• Jim Gilson
    • Not Ranked
    • Kennesaw, GA
    • Posts 79
    • Points 995

hbrock:

It's only affecting 10.10 and the bug has been logged with Apple.  First off, go back one page on this thread to see what's been happening.  Second, if it's such a big problem for you the solution right now is to go back to 10.9 or 10.8.  If it's a Apple problem rather than something that Avid can fix you might be barking up the wrong tree.

if you can show me that a 12 core Mac Pro (post October 2014 that shipped with Yosemite) will allow installation or even boot with Mavericks, otherwise, do your homework before you comment.

• Thu, May 14 2015 7:19 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,570
    • Points 255,530
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Be nice everyone.....

Looking like the next MC version in the 8.x camp along with  new OS version TBD will be the winning combo.

Jim - hang tight - it is coming.

Marianna 

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, May 16 2015 12:43 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Bainbridge Island, WA
    • Posts 5,564
    • Points 64,835

12 core Mac Pros originally shipped before Yosemite so yes, it will work if you can find the installer.

Here, lookie!

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1707?locale=en_US

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

• Sat, May 16 2015 2:53 AM In reply to

• Jim Gilson
    • Not Ranked
    • Kennesaw, GA
    • Posts 79
    • Points 995

hbrock:

12 core Mac Pros originally shipped before Yosemite so yes, it will work if you can find the installer.

Here, lookie!

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1707?locale=en_US

i wish you were right. Post October 2014 Mac Pros were shipped with Yosemite.

• Sat, May 16 2015 4:16 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Bainbridge Island, WA
    • Posts 5,564
    • Points 64,835

They were shipped with Yosemite but they can run Mavericks.  Macs can't run a OS version that preceeds the hardware release as it usually requires drivers that didn't exist in earlier OS releases.  The Mac Pros originally shipped with 10.9 and since the hardware has not been updated since being released, it WILL work.

However, finding a copy of 10.9 that you can install is going to require some effort as it's not readily available from the Apple App Store.  You might be able to get it by doing a web search or by calling Apple Support and seeing if they can point you to a location or (this is a longshot) go to the App Store and hold down Option while clicking on Purchases.  10.9 might show up.  Or ask someone who is still running it as they can re-download the installer fromt the App store (see prior instruction).  The good news is that any 10.9 installer should work, you don't need a specific build.  If you ask nicely, someone here might be able to send you a installer that they kept around for just such purposes.

• Sat, May 16 2015 1:10 PM In reply to

• GaryF
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 30 2012
    • Posts 104
    • Points 1,535

I believe I have the installer you need for 10.9.5.  I have begun to hoard mac os images for such emergencies. I use something called disk makerX to make a boot disk.  There is also a complicated way using terminal but no one at mac seems to know how to do it even though it is in one of there articles.

Gary

Page 8 of 10 (136 items) « First ... < Previous 6 7 8 9 10 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller