Latest post Fri, Aug 14 2020 3:23 AM by Airick. 22 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jul 17 2020 12:45 PM In reply to

Re: MC - How's your audio monitoring setup?

Airick:
    Avid/Premiere Pro running on an iMac Pro >> USB-C Out >> HDMI adapter (note, no hardware like a T-Tap here currently, just a simple adapter) >> HDMI in on Vizio 55" Flatscreen >> HDMI input on the back of, say, the DN-500AV.

That's not the right connection order.

You should run the HDMI through the audio processor to the TV/Monitor. Otherwise the TV will likely strip out anything but L and R. You should look at it the way you connect a DVD-player to an HT system. Device->processor->displays&speakers.

Airick:
    How certain are you that I'll get 3.1 from my NLE with that setup?

99%. The fact that you're coming straight from the Mac (and not a T-tap or other I/O device) could be an advantage in that the Mac will normally recognize the prepro or receiver as being a 5.1 device, and therefore send it a 5.1 signal (and not a 7.1 signal).

But I would not steer you to the 500av. I don't think it has the quality of the (used) HT options. Also: the HT machines you can always get serviced, as many more have been sold so parts should be available.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 17 2020 3:54 PM In reply to

• Airick
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 30 2010
    • Posts 30
    • Points 395

Roger that on the 500. Used units that have 4k passthrough aren't selling at much of a discount in the US ($900 + shipping), so may just make the most sense to buy new. Going to mull it over and will update whenever I pull the trigger. Thanks for all your help!

• Fri, Jul 17 2020 3:57 PM In reply to

• Airick
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 30
    • Points 395

Oh one more thing - you mentioned MiniDSP and so I had a look around their website... This seems like it would almost do the trick, right?

https://www.minidsp.com/products/streaming-hd-series/shd

I would have to run the audio straight into the USB, and then run one of the channels through the sub? Or am I missing something?

Thanks again for the education.

• Fri, Jul 17 2020 6:47 PM In reply to

With the MiniDSP I meant their simpler solution, the nanoAVR, which is now apparently discontinued. I was only referencing it as a possible solution for older prepro's that won't accept 7.1 PCM over HDMI but would accept 5.1 PCM over HDMI.

Since you are not using an I/O device, you should be able to run most any 4ch external USB soundcard, BUT you will want to have some sort of master fader (which is what the prepro/receiver [or a mixer] would do).

Also: prepro's/reveivers will have lipsync delays to match the delay of your picture display. I doubt many soundcards come with that. Not sure how you are currently compensating for the delay.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 17 2020 10:08 PM In reply to

• Airick
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 30
    • Points 395

Wouldn't the knob on the front perform the work of a master fader?

IMG-5813

• Fri, Jul 17 2020 10:16 PM In reply to

Probably, but I have zero experience with or knowledge of these products, and if and how they would work with a computer as a source. If it does work, I'd make sure to get one with balanced outputs. The device you linked to mentions stereo USB input, whereas you would need to at least feed it LCRS over USB.

And again, how will you address picture delay compensation?

• Fri, Jul 17 2020 10:22 PM In reply to

As to your earlier question about running the front channels through the sub, I would somewhat recommend against that. Basiclaly, there's two ways to set up your sub. Either you are working in discreet 3.1, where each output drives its own speaker, and the fronts are being treated as full range speakers. Or you use bass management, where the front speakers are not considered full range, and the lower frequencies (under 80/100/120 Hz) are sent to the sub in stead of the fronts. Both options are valid, but if you intend to actually use the .1 LFE channel in MC, I would suggest not using bass management. If you're mostly looking to use the sub as a low end extension of your monitors, then bass manegement is the way to go.

• Fri, Aug 14 2020 3:23 AM In reply to

• Airick
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 30
    • Points 395

Okay, after a long cooling off period, I'm moving forward with:

Denon X3600H (which has RCA preouts)

3 Adam T7V (left, center, right)

1 Adam T10S Subwoofer

Amazon Basics gold plated RCA cable

and some UA isolator pads

Looking forward to setting it up and trying it out once everything arrives in a couple days. My only outstanding question is, do I need anything special in terms of power supply for the active monitors & sub? For conveince it would be nice to have a smart power strip so that I can turn all the monitors on with a quick tap, but obviously I'm willing to forego conveince in order to protect my investment.

Thanks again for all your help,

Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller