Latest post Wed, Mar 12 2014 7:04 PM by AndrewAction. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 12 2014 2:43 PM

• Vincent
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Nov 19 2011
    • Fort Lauderdale, FL
    • Posts 18
    • Points 280

Reset the blue bar on all clips to the start?

Here's my situation. I was just handed a hard drive with about 700 clips.  Shot by shot clips.  I need to archive it all. Whoever had the drive obviously went through all the clips and moved the blue position bar.  So when I select all and drag to my timeline all the clips drop but only from the blue bar's position to the end. Most of the clip's footage are omitted.  I'm trying to put all the clips on a timeline to then transcode it to one clip via Interplay Access.

I need to reset all clips to move the blue position bar to the start.  How can this be done easily?  Right now, I'm going through clip by clip and it's quite annoying. Does anyone have a solution for this?

HP Z820 Workstation, Windows 7 Professional - Service Pack 1 - 64 bit, Intel Xeon E5-2640 @ 2.50GHz dual processors, 16 GB memory, Media Composer... [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , , ,
  • Wed, Mar 12 2014 2:58 PM In reply to

• GT
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • South Africa
    • Posts 406
    • Points 4,440

Re: Reset the blue bar on all clips to the start?

In the Script view of the bin, select all the clips, and then press the G key. This clears in / out points.

MC Ver 8.7, Intel Core I5, NVidia Quadro FX 570, 16Gb Ram, 250 Gb system drive, 2 Tb Render/Media drive, Windows 7 64bit Pro, QT 7.6.6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 12 2014 3:04 PM In reply to

• Vincent
    • Not Ranked
    • Fort Lauderdale, FL
    • Posts 18
    • Points 280

It's not an in/out issue with markers... this is the blue position bar.  The bar you drag and scroll through clips with.

HP Z820 Workstation, Windows 7 Professional - Service Pack 1 - 64 bit, Intel Xeon E5-2640 @ 2.50GHz dual processors, 16 GB memory, Media Composer... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 12 2014 3:18 PM In reply to

I don't know if this will work, but try selecting all the clips in the bin and then pressing Home on the keyboard.  If that doesn't work, try A.  If neither of those works, try the same thing in a different bin view.  If none of that works, I'm out of ideas.

Media Composer 2020.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Mar 12 2014 3:26 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

Or try with to, in script mode, select all, first press T and then Q

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Wed, Mar 12 2014 3:27 PM In reply to

• Vincent
    • Not Ranked
    • Fort Lauderdale, FL
    • Posts 18
    • Points 280

Thanks... but negative on both of those suggestions.  This would be easier if we were able to see the blue position bar's location by bringing up a column.  And then able to sort by that column and "zero" out those clips.  

• Wed, Mar 12 2014 3:30 PM In reply to

• Vincent
    • Not Ranked
    • Fort Lauderdale, FL
    • Posts 18
    • Points 280

T and Q no... but actually in script mode, just T is fine... Marking in/out, then draggin all clips to timeline. I didn't know that could be done in script mode.  Learned something new today. Thanks.

• Wed, Mar 12 2014 3:33 PM In reply to

OceanWave:
    when I select all and drag to my timeline all the clips drop but only from the blue bar's position to the end
    I can't reproduce that. When I have a bunch of clips with no In or Out point, but with the blue bar parked in the middle, when I drag the clips to the timeline (bin in Text view), the position bar is ignored.

Not sure if that's a setting somewhere?

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 12 2014 3:33 PM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 16 2006
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,777
    • Points 44,590
    • Moderator: MCA PC

The playhead does stay where it was left.  It would be good to know if there's a way to send the playhead back to the start of several or all clips in a bin, for example, at once.    I've just tried a few things including the clear in/out that was suggested as well as trying a few things from the command pallette while clips in a bin are selected and haven't found anything that does it for all selected clips.  Things I've tried have worked on the clip in the source monitor alone but not on selected clips in the bin.  In other words, even with a few clips in a bin selected, anything I've tried only affects the source monitor clip.

When I play a bit of a clip in the source monitor, make no in or out marks and send to the timeline, the "in" point becomes the playhead position from the source clip.  I think that's what the user is seeing.  I either have to return the playhead "home" or set an in mark at the start before I insert or overwrite to get the whole clip to the timeline.  For me, this has been going on through a few versions - quite some time.  Yes, it's very annoying and causes me to have to re-edit quite often.

Scott

• Wed, Mar 12 2014 3:35 PM In reply to

• Vincent
    • Not Ranked
    • Fort Lauderdale, FL
    • Posts 18
    • Points 280

For what I need to do, making in/out on all clips at once and dragging to timeline is a good enough solution for me. I did not know you could do that in script mode.  As for sending the play head to the start of each clip, I still haven't solved that.

• Wed, Mar 12 2014 3:40 PM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,777
    • Points 44,590

Job, could you try putting the playhead somewhere other than the beginning of a source clip, then insert or overwrite (not drag) and see what in point you get on the timeline?

Scott

• Wed, Mar 12 2014 3:50 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

OceanWave:

T and Q no... but actually in script mode, just T is fine... Marking in/out, then draggin all clips to timeline. I didn't know that could be done in script mode.  Learned something new today. Thanks.

You´re welcome, happy continued editing

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Wed, Mar 12 2014 4:47 PM In reply to

Sure, editing from the Source mon starts at position bar.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 12 2014 5:30 PM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,777
    • Points 44,590

Job,

Was that a deliberate change at some point or an unintended change?  When I started on MC at around v2.7 or 2.8 and for quite a few versions after, I never had that "problem."

Scott

• Wed, Mar 12 2014 6:07 PM In reply to

I don't recall this ever being any different.

From source mon, position bar is used. Dragging from bin in text view, position bar is ignored. That's how it works on my system, and that's how I like it to work.

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller