Latest post Sat, Sep 13 2014 10:39 AM by Job ter Burg. 84 replies.
Page 2 of 6 (85 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Feb 2 2014 10:30 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,456
    • Points 17,975

Re: Your views on Frameflex, please

Frameflex moves appear to be green dot, realtime.  Is that also true of AvidFX or do they need to be rendered?  And will AVidFX work with AMA'd files?

• Sun, Feb 2 2014 10:57 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,521
    • Points 235,025
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

smrpix:
    Frameflex moves appear to be green dot, realtime.  Is that also true of AvidFX or do they need to be rendered?

They have to be rendered.
    Don't forget to balance "having to render" with can rotate on x, y, and z axes, add drop shadows, add effects from a selection of around 190 BCC etc.etc. at the same time as doing the equivalent of "FF" moves.

BUT, yes there are also some gotchas in using Avid FX.
    I will point out the more important ones later in this thread. Geeked

For now, I am still interested in hearing more views on FF and how it is being used.

Thank you all for the many interesting views so far Yes

Regards

Douglas

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Feb 2 2014 11:00 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,521
    • Points 235,025
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

smrpix:
    And will AVidFX work with AMA'd files?

Woops, sorry, I forgot to answer that question.

I don't know.
    I do not use AMA, and therefore have no answer to your question.
    I am sure some others can, hopefully, answer it though.

Regards

Douglas

• Mon, Feb 3 2014 6:03 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,385

Seems like you just answered your own question Douglas

drbgaijin:

I do not use AMA,

Frameflex is for ama workflows so no ama - no frameflex

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Mon, Feb 3 2014 6:06 AM In reply to

• Wm.Busby
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • LA, Cali
    • Posts 377
    • Points 4,405

Douglas, not that it really matters in the least but I thought you should be aware of a small correction with the last video you posted in this thread. AVX is Avid Visual eXtensions, not Avid Video eXchange ;)  Sorry... carry on my good man :D

HP Z400 (W3520) 2.67 ghz quad core, 12GB ram, Quadro K2000 (Nvidia driver 310.90), Win 7 Pro 64, MC 5.5.3, Quicktime version 7.6.9, KVM switch, dual 20"... [view my complete system specs]

Forum etiquette rule #1: FILL OUT SYSTEM SPECS IN PROFILE! :)

• Mon, Feb 3 2014 7:42 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,521
    • Points 235,025
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Wm.Busby:
    Douglas, not that it really matters

Thank you for pointing out my AVX error. Yes

It does matter. I am unlikely to correct the mistake in the old video, but I will try to avoid making it in any future video tutorial.

Regards

Douglas

• Mon, Feb 3 2014 7:54 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,521
    • Points 235,025
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

mjolnarn:

Seems like you just answered your own question Douglas

drbgaijin:

I do not use AMA,

Not quite sure what you mean by that, Tomas. My question was about how everyone is using Frameflex.
    But never mind.

mjolnarn:

That makes things even worse in my opinion.

If Frameflex (a-work-in-progress **) needs AMA (another work-in-progress**) to function correctly, then you should be prepared for a few disasters in the workflow.

** = my description of the two of them, not Avid's

Regards

Douglas

• Mon, Feb 3 2014 8:01 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,385

drbgaijin:

mjolnarn:

That makes things even worse in my opinion.

If Frameflex (a-work-in-progress **) needs AMA (another work-in-progress**) to function correctly, then you should be prepared for a few disasters in the workflow.

** = my description of the two of them, not Avid's

Regards

Douglas

There is a learning curve Douglas, better start practicing if you are going to do a comparing tutorial between Frameflex and Avid Fx

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Mon, Feb 3 2014 8:09 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,521
    • Points 235,025
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

mjolnarn:
    There is a learning curve Douglas, better start practicing if you are going to do a comparing tutorial between Frameflex and Avid Fx

Geeked

Luckily, Tomas, I have no plans to make such a tutorial.

Regards

Douglas

• Mon, Feb 3 2014 3:08 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,385

Hrrrmm

mjolnarn:

There is a learning curve Douglas,

drbgaijin:

As to zooming and panning on a 4K movie clip - Yes! Avid FX can do that too!

Today I got hold of a "4K" prores clip.  It was a few pixels short of full 4K, but close enough.

I brought it into Avid FX. My Avid FX project was 1920x1080, so the 4K clip was approx. double that when it was present at 100%

By reducing the scale by to 50% I had the full 4Kclip showing in my 1920x1080 Composite window. I could then zoom in to 100%, still keeping the quality of the 4K clip. Zooming further would, of course, result in deterioration of the sharpness.

drbgaijin:

smrpix:
    And will AVidFX work with AMA'd files?

I do not use AMA, and therefore have no answer to your question.

drbgaijin:

BobbyMurcerFan:
    Hi Douglas, may I ask, are you doing this in AvidFX standalone or launching from inside MC? Thanks.

From inside MC, BMF

Douglas, as Avid currently only can work with HD all you have on your sequense is Hd so the only way to get a 4k clip inside Avid FX is to not use the Avid timeline as source.

Even if it is ama linked 4k ( you don´t use ama, I know ) the clip on the timeline is HD resolution processed by Frameflex from the origin 4K resolution to HD.

If you want Avid FX to handle 4k you also have to convert all the origin 4k files to a codec that Avid FX can understand when pointing directly to file.

Frameflex in it´s current version is very limited but it is, from how I can see it, currently the only way to get 4k media directly into Avid from the origin source and pan and scan that media in it´s origin full resolution.

Tomas 

• Mon, Feb 3 2014 4:51 PM In reply to

drbgaijin:

while "needs" should be replaced by "only functions in combination with" if you ask me, in essence I would say: confirmed!

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 24GB memory, MC 8.6.5... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Mon, Feb 3 2014 6:58 PM In reply to

drbgaijin:
    I see FrameFlex and AMA as parts of the same source footage functionality. That they are both up for improvement is another thing, but dissing them because they are parts of the same toolkit seems wrong to me. My 2 cts.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 3 2014 7:37 PM In reply to

• Wm.Busby
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • LA, Cali
    • Posts 377
    • Points 4,405

drbgaijin:

Thank you for pointing out my AVX error. Yes

no problem, Douglas... you're welcome.

HP Z400 (W3520) 2.67 ghz quad core, 12GB ram, Quadro K2000 (Nvidia driver 310.90), Win 7 Pro 64, MC 5.5.3, Quicktime version 7.6.9, KVM switch, dual 20"... [view my complete system specs]

Forum etiquette rule #1: FILL OUT SYSTEM SPECS IN PROFILE! :)

• Mon, Feb 3 2014 7:52 PM In reply to

Job ter Burg:
    drbgaijin:
    I see FrameFlex and AMA as parts of the same source footage functionality. That they are both up for improvement is another thing, but dissing them because they are parts of the same toolkit seems wrong to me.

Job,

I do not interpret Douglas's words as "dissing" but as a practical acceptation that 

Job ter Burg:
    they are both up for improvement
    and that everybody that is planning to use AMA and frameflex needs to be aware of the current functional status of these functions.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 24GB memory, MC 8.6.5... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Mon, Feb 3 2014 8:26 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,521
    • Points 235,025
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Hey folks...

Hope you all dont mind if I jump in.....  :)  

Essentially most of the comments in this thread are accurate. Notice how I said most :)  

It's best to work with FrameFlex with the larger than HD media linked.  When you transcode, there is a compromise to the media because we cannot transcode to larger than HD.  As you all know from the other thread on this.... we do not transcode using any of the animated FrameFlex (or any other effect) on the project timeline. 

It is best to NOT apply transformations when transcoding. 

This means you will now be reframing an HD image and thus you will loose quality as a trade-off for performance (everyone does realize that we transcode to HD right?).  Not “baking” the media gives the flexibility to make further changes to Frameflex and its animation; when you relink to the original media; you regain full quality and are ready to export.

what is a cool feature ot this is that Customers can have different framing parameters for the same clip appearing at different locations on the timeline. 

When you drop the clip on the timeline, the FrameFlex (and color) source settings are applied.  This is how we know how to scale a larger than HD clip onto an HD project.  You can then open each single shot (on the timeline) and make additional FrameFlex changes, and those changes now become inherent to the sequence (essentially as effects).  

We recommend using the source settings as a general starting point for the clips - adjusting image aspect ratio and basic reframing - and then, once on the timeline, modify the FrameFlex settings according to the artistic decisions for each shot (reframing and animation).

HTH and let the dialog continue.

Marianna 

Page 2 of 6 (85 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller