Latest post Sat, Jan 18 2014 11:36 AM by Pat Horridge. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jan 14 2014 11:14 PM

• Renn
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 6 2007
    • Posts 40
    • Points 520

Recommendation on Video Card Upgrade for MC 6.5.3

Hey All,

Just wondering if anyone could refer to me a video card upgrade for my system

I have  a Mac Pro 12-Core, 2.66, 32 GIG's of Ram, with the standard ATI Radeon HD 5770 card running 6.5.3. 

I'm working on a project that has 9 multicam's and it's just stepping when I try to play all camera's. I'm using the ATI for 3 montiors.

Bins in 1 monitor

Source/Composer and timeline in the middle monitor and the 3rd monitor is full screen playback. I've toggled the full, half on low resolution for playback and that doesn't seem to help. 

If I have it with 4 camera's rolling it plays no problem, once I hit the quad split to display all 9 it just starts chugging with picture freezing. the 1 gig of Ram on the card just isn't enough. I ran into this problem with my editors system (PC system) and as soon as the video card was upgraded from 1 gig to a 2 gig card smooth sailing.

Going by Avid's specs it seems to be the one that that they support but wondering if there is anything out there.

I've read a few posts in regards to the blackmajic cards but mainly its not good reviews.  

Any suggestions would be greatly apprecitated. 

Cheers

• Wed, Jan 15 2014 1:53 AM In reply to

• Arnaud D
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 15 2007
    • Montreal
    • Posts 21
    • Points 270

Re: Recommendation on Video Card Upgrade for MC 6.5.3

I can't realy recommend any graphic card, but are you sure the issue isn't related to hard drive speed and media compression ?

Depending on the compression used, 9 video streams can be quite a lot of bandwith and the bottleneck could easily be your drives.

What hard drive configuration do you use and what kind of media are you working on ?

Best regards,

Mac Pro 2 x 2.8GHz Quad-Core, 32 GB 800 MHz DDR2, BM Decklink HD-SDI, Avid MC 8.3.1, OSX 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 15 2014 3:16 AM In reply to

• Renn
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 6 2007
    • Posts 40
    • Points 520

Hey there,

I have a 8 Terrabyte RAID 5 via eSata (no where near full) DNX145 media. I've also tried the USB 3 using 4X WD Black 2 TB 7200 RPM drives inside. I  have about 3 Terrabytes being used. Clips range from 30-45 mins. 

• Wed, Jan 15 2014 4:01 AM In reply to

• editor14
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 17 2011
    • Posts 29
    • Points 315

I would be highly surprised if this is the video card.

I also would point to the bandwith through the e-Sata connection. 9 x DNxHD145 will cause drop frames on most e-sata setups, your RAID might be quick but unless your e-Sata card has to be also. Mini-SAS would be a better way to go.

• Sat, Jan 18 2014 8:29 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,541
    • Points 64,320
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

I'd suggest running the Blackmagic speed test on your RAID-5 setup to see what througput you're getting.  If it's not above 200 MB/s you're likely to get stuttering when playing that many streams of DNX145.  

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Sat, Jan 18 2014 11:36 AM In reply to

RAID 5's not great for speed RAID 0 is better or RAID 10 to be safer.

So as others have said I'd speed test the drives.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Filed under:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller