Latest post Fri, Aug 8 2014 11:20 PM by KevinP. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Sep 20 2013 9:47 PM

• KevinP
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Sep 20 2013
    • Posts 9
    • Points 115

media composer 7 slow/sluggish interface

Hi, I am an experienced Adobe Premiere user and am currently evaluating the demo to Media Composer 7.0.2.  I have been experiencing a lot of hourglass/pinwheeling while performing some pretty basic moves. (i also had this same issue in 7.0.0 before reinstalling with 7.0.2)

If I start up a fresh project everything works great to begin with.  However, as my project gets larger and I start involving more files, things get sluggish. Especially noticable when switching in and out of trim mode (ie. selecting an edit point, then clicking elsewhere in the timeline to deselect) there is a delay of about a second or two.  Also, after each edit is made using the 'add edit' command, there is the same type of delay as well.

It may only be a one second or so delay but it is really disruptive to the speed of my workflow. Am I missing something in my setup?  I've got all the recommended drivers installed and have disabled all the Windows 7 eye candy, and don't have anything else running at the same time.  All my clips are imported and transcoded at DNxHD 36 MXF.  My system specs are in my profile.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Intel Core i7-3770K CPU @3.50 GHz x8 NVIDIA Quadro K2000D (v340.84 drivers) 32.0 GB Ram 250GB SSD harddrive Display: NEC 3090WQXi (2560x1600) Avid... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Sep 21 2013 5:24 AM In reply to

• Tiger_XP
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 2 2007
    • California
    • Posts 465
    • Points 5,130

Re: media composer 7 slow/sluggish interface

Don't know if you selected MC7 for specific features but if not download MC 5.5 and 6.0. There are tons of post pertaing to delays and hardware. If either MC 5.5 or MC 6.0 solves "that" issue, you can continue to edit while you search the forum for the answer. 

MC 6.0 is the first 64bit version

MacPro 2008 3.1 | 34GB Ram | Quadro 4000 980ti 960| MC 8.10 | OS 10.6.8 10.13.6 | MOTU HDX-SDI | ATTO R644| LaCie 324 [view my complete system specs]

• Wed, Feb 26 2014 4:37 PM In reply to

• SlikAssistant
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 24 2009
    • Montréal, QC
    • Posts 15
    • Points 235

Any updates on this post?

We're experiencing quite the same problems and we're wondering if it has something to do with the attic and large projects... Sometime, even moving a bin takes a few seconds (click, then wait, then move) due to the slow response time of the software. Or changing the name of a freshly created bin... or saving a bin...

Any clue how to solve this? Editors in here are starting to complain... We're running on Z800 workstations and sharing medias through EditShare.

Multiple systems: All systems on MC 8.4 with Symphony Option. One Avid DS11. -- 2 x z800 connected to Nitris DX / 4 x z800-clones connected to Nitris... [view my complete system specs]

If there is no solution, there must be a workaround.
    Les assistants chez Slik

• Wed, Feb 26 2014 4:40 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

I´ve found out by own experience that booting from SSD drives seems to make a big difference in interface speed, how about that.

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Wed, Feb 26 2014 7:34 PM In reply to

• ManChicken
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 4 2008
    • Denver, CO
    • Posts 264
    • Points 3,335
    • Moderator: MetaFuze

Did you originally bring in the material via AMA, and if so are any of those clips/bins still hanging around?

• Wed, Feb 26 2014 7:52 PM In reply to

• SlikAssistant
    • Not Ranked
    • Montréal, QC
    • Posts 15
    • Points 235

ManChicken:

Did you originally bring in the material via AMA, and if so are any of those clips/bins still hanging around?

In our case, material come from various sources : captured tapes, AMA Quicktimes in ProRes or H264, C300 or P2 wich are all transcoded on the spot in the project resolution (DNxHD145 most of the time) as we never work with direct AMA sources.

The AMA linked clips usualy stay in a bin that is created only for the linking/transcode operation. The transcoded clips are then moved into another bin containing only "correctly formated" material.

Are you suggesting that after the transcode, I should erase the AMA source clips from the project?Or do the transcode operation into a second project created only for those operations?

Multiple systems: All systems on MC 8.4 with Symphony Option. One Avid DS11. -- 2 x z800 connected to Nitris DX / 4 x z800-clones connected to Nitris... [view my complete system specs]

Les assistants chez Slik

• Wed, Feb 26 2014 7:58 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,380
    • Points 233,240
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Manchicken....

First, I would definately upgrade to 7.0.3 which is out now. If you prefer to stick with the 6.5 code base then 6.5.4.1 is the ticket as there are many issues resolved and some of these related to performance.  

Secondly, could you give me a glimpse into your system configuration - RAM, graphics card etc...  as on top of what Tomas suggested, we need to make sure the system is optimized to perform.  

Next, we know that the bigger the bins with vast amounts of mefdia, the slowert the system will get esepcially when connected to an Open I/O device.  

email me off forum and I can take a look.

Marianna

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 26 2014 10:24 PM In reply to

• KevinP
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 9
    • Points 115

No further updates from me since my original post.  Since then I've upgraded to v7.0.3 (from 7.0.2) - however this does not seem to fix anything related to this issue for me.

I'll write Marianna off-forum as well, and update here if anything gets resolved for me.

-Kevin

Intel Core i7-3770K CPU @3.50 GHz x8 NVIDIA Quadro K2000D (v340.84 drivers) 32.0 GB Ram 250GB SSD harddrive Display: NEC 3090WQXi (2560x1600) Avid... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 27 2014 7:03 AM In reply to

• ManChicken
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 4 2008
    • Denver, CO
    • Posts 264
    • Points 3,335
    • Moderator: MetaFuze

SlikAssistant:
    Are you suggesting that after the transcode, I should erase the AMA source clips from the project?Or do the transcode operation into a second project created only for those operations?

Not sure. Just trying to collect people's workflows to try and figure it out.  We have projects that will all of a sudden hit a wall and just tank the system, where every edit you make takes 3 or 4 seconds, clicking things in the UI locks up for seconds, etc.. you get the blue busy-cursor-of-death, then the screen goes grey from Windows thinking the app died and then it releases half a second later.  Rinse and repeat...

Sound familiar?

As I've tried to narrow it down when it happens, it seems like the Quicktime bridge task (whose name I forget right now) usually is the one consuming CPU while the app is in its "vegitative state." I've not been able to find much of a rhyme or reason to it though.  The last time it happened to me I spent hours of time and terabytes of space consolidating EVERYTHING (kinda defeats the purpose of AMA eh?) and it seemed better, but then you have to deal with the pain of existing sequences unlinking half the material every time you open one.

The whole workflow is broken and driving us off Media Composer.  I'm just trying to bank up some ideas of things to try when it happens the next time until we can get off MC entirely.  So far my best guess is to AMA and then immediately consolidate or transcode before you ever start editing, and throw the original AMA clips away (they're really not useful at that point.)

• Thu, Feb 27 2014 2:13 PM In reply to

• SlikAssistant
    • Not Ranked
    • Montréal, QC
    • Posts 15
    • Points 235

ManChicken:

[...] it seems like the Quicktime bridge task (whose name I forget right now) usually is the one consuming CPU while the app is in its "vegitative state."[...]

I also noticed that Quicktime is most of the time involved when the software goes coma. I think anybody who tried to import a MP4 instead of AMA-link-n-transcoding it knows what I'm talking about! I agree it is a good track to investigate. I'll try what you suggest as soon as I receive new AMA material and keep you in touch about it.

First, I would definately upgrade to 7.0.3 which is out now.

For the "upgrading to 7.0.3" solution, it might not be the best one for us. Since our workflow is passing through EditShare, we prefer to stay on the qualified MC version for our current Storage version. But if it works for someone else, let me know!

Small update from our side:

I removed almost everything from the unity attic that was not from the ongoing project (making it pass from 10Gb to 1,5Gb). That speeded up things a little bit. It has not fixed the problem, but I believe it's a step in the right direction.

Les assistants chez Slik

• Fri, Feb 28 2014 6:34 PM In reply to

Have you tried deleting evrything inside the folder "C:\Users\Public\Documents\Avid NewsCutter\AMA Management\" ?

I have to do it every once in a while, espcially when I AMA-link media on the network.

• Fri, Feb 28 2014 7:53 PM In reply to

• KevinP
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 9
    • Points 115

I did try deleting everything in the AMA Management folder a couple months ago (it's been empty ever since), and this did not seem to make any noticable difference for me - though we have not been using AMA-linked media in our projects.

• Fri, Feb 28 2014 9:48 PM In reply to

From my experience, all the symtoms you give is what I get when working directly with AMA media on long timelines or clips with long durations.

That said, your system's specs doesn't give information on your I/O device and media storage. That could be a factor too.

• Sat, Mar 1 2014 1:15 AM In reply to

• KevinP
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 9
    • Points 115

Our storage drives for transcoded material are split between a local 250gig SSD drive and a local 1TB SATA drive.

We are currently working on an animated feature film, so all material is being generated in-house and nothing is being captured.  Up until recently the media I was transcoding were storyboard panels (.jpg and .tif images).  These were imported/transcoded with 5 second duration into a 1080p/24 project using the DNxHD 36 MXF.  We work with a lot of image files at the storyboard stage which, after transcoding, creates a lot of clips in our timeline (roughly 100 media clips per minute, and we are running at 110 minutes long right now.)  We usually work in smaller 2 to 5 minute sequence timelines, and keep these smaller sequences saved in separate bins.

We are not using or connecting to any special or extra I/O devices (no black magic card or that sort of thing).  I am connected to a HDTV through HDMI and my video card, though one of the initial things I tried was to disconnect from it and only have one monitor connected. This didn't seem to have any effect.  I am connected over a network, but that is only to access the media that we transcode.  Nothing is AMA linked.

Thanks for any further thoughts!

• Mon, Jul 21 2014 5:29 AM In reply to

• PaulsProd
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 6 2006
    • Sydney, Australia
    • Posts 120
    • Points 1,785

I've been having similar problems, commenting in this other post

http://community.avid.com/forums/p/124889/717386.aspx#717386

Have not found a solution, but notice network activity high when MC stalling, so workaround of disabling NIC improves response, only if network access is not required for a while.

Noone seems to know why.

System1 (I7-1). MC8.1, Squeeze9 Pro, Win7ProX64, ASUS X79 mobo, Intel I7-3930K, 16GB RAM, SSD System + 5TB RAID5 video data, NVidia Quadro FX1800, BD Burner... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller