Latest post Wed, Jul 17 2013 1:49 AM by lalittle. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jul 15 2013 6:14 PM

• lalittle
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • USA
    • Posts 534
    • Points 7,365

MC 5.5.3 - Occasional "Not Responding" pauses, then control returns

Using MC 5.5.3 (with an uninstall of the previous version first), I get occasional pauses where I go to play a sequence and there is a 5 or 10 second pause before playback begins.  During this time, I sometimes see "(Not Responding)" next to the "Avid" title on the top bar.  It never fully locks up -- control always returns after several seconds -- but it's annoying when this happens.  When this happens, subsequent playback attempts work without the pause (until it happens again.)

The Windows Event Viewer shows no errors when this happens.  I believe that this may have started when I updated to 5.5.3 from the previous version of MC 5.5, but I'm not 100% sure about this.

I'm using Windows 7 Pro.

Any ideas what could be causing this?  As I said, I never noticed this before relatively recently (past several months or so.)

Thanks,

Larry

• Mon, Jul 15 2013 6:43 PM In reply to

• lalittle
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • USA
    • Posts 534
    • Points 7,365

Re: MC 5.5.3 - Occasional "Not Responding" pauses, then control returns

Just a few more details:

The footage in this actual sequence is NOT AMA, but the project itself does contain AMA linked media.  The original source is AMA linked, but I transcoded it to DNxHD36 for editing, so the sequence is entirely transconded DNxHD36 media.  I relink it back to the higher res AMA linked clips for final output, which creates a new  sequence, but the sequences I'm working with contain no AMA media.

Larry

• Mon, Jul 15 2013 10:01 PM In reply to

• Wm.Busby
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • LA, Cali
    • Posts 377
    • Points 4,405

I see this as well every so often but it's never with a "not responding" message. It just sits there for 5+ secs like it's deciding what to do. What I've noticed though is if during these times I turn off the monitored track and just before it responds I see "fatal error" for just a split second in the lower left corner of the composer or source monitor (which ever is active at the time). Never knew if it was system specific or the software version but it's just a minor annoyance and have just lived with it since it's not often it occurs. Plus it's nowhere near "fatal" :)

HP Z400 (W3520) 2.67 ghz quad core, 12GB ram, Quadro K2000 (Nvidia driver 310.90), Win 7 Pro 64, MC 5.5.3, Quicktime version 7.6.9, KVM switch, dual 20"... [view my complete system specs]

Forum etiquette rule #1: FILL OUT SYSTEM SPECS IN PROFILE! :)

• Wed, Jul 17 2013 1:45 AM In reply to

• lalittle
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • USA
    • Posts 534
    • Points 7,365

Note that the "Not Responding" message does not always appear, and even when it does appear, you really have to be looking at the right spot to catch it.  It appears all the way at the top left corner of the window where it says "Avid Media Composer."  If the pause is long enough, it will briefly say "Avid Media Composer (Not Responding.)"  This quickly disappears, however, the moment that control returns.  It's not necessarily something you'd notice -- I had been living with the pauses for quite some time before I noticed it.

Just to update, I tried closing all the bins containing AMA footage, but this had no effect on the issue.

I searched these forums and found what appeared to be reports of the same thing, but I have not found any solutions yet.  I'm now thinking that this may have started when I switched from 5.0.x to 5.5.x.

Thanks again for any feedback on this,

Larry

• Wed, Jul 17 2013 1:49 AM In reply to

• lalittle
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • USA
    • Posts 534
    • Points 7,365

One other symptom that's often easier to see is that the cursor will sometimes turn to the little spinning circle-thing if the pause goes long enough.

Larry

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller