Latest post Sat, Oct 26 2013 4:03 AM by jwrl. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jul 10 2013 6:58 PM

• adamsonn
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • South Africa
    • Posts 699
    • Points 10,410

Encoding to DVD mpeg files - Avid DVD and Sorenson woes

Hello 

I have an 84 minute  HD sequence that I need to downconvert and put onto a standard SD DVD.  I have the HD sequence exported as a QT reference file. 

In my opinion - encoding in Avid DVD doesn't create a good DVD -  If I create it as a wide screen DVD  the final output fills my HD TV and there does not appear to be any cropping for black bars - this is good but the movement appears jerky and not smooth

So quality-wise it is not the best.

If I look at  preferences I have the quality slider set all the way to the right for Best Quality - and my SD transcoding bit rate is set to CBR 7000  at so I dont think there is much I can do inside Avid DVD to improve this. (These appear to be all the settings there are)

Strike out for Avid DVD on quality 

My next step then was to look at Soreson - and encode the sequence to a DVD compliant Mpeg2 preset and use that in Avid DVD with no re-encoding. 

But now my issue is that the same sequence in Sorenson using the DVD Mpeg2 format constraint with a stream type of Program, Pal format at 7000 Kbps produces a file of well over 5Gb

So I reduced to 6500Kbps and it is still too big for a DVD -

In my effort to create an Mpeg file that will fit on a standard DVD I am now down to 5500Kbps bit rate - each encode takes over 2 hours so no idea what size this will turn out to be.

When I use any bitrate calculator the suggested bit rate for a DVD of this size is approx 6400Kbps.

Does anyone know why  Sorenson couldn't be bothered to produce a file of this size at this rate but instead produces a much larger file?

Besides from using another encoder (I dont have TMPGenc) any ideas as to how to get the Sorenson files to comply to what but rate calculators recommend or any good tips on improving the quality in Avid DVD?

Thanks 

Neil 

MC6 machine: Intel Core i7 Asus P8-H67 64 bit Motherboard 1*1Tb SATA drive - partitioned to C (OS and programs) and D (data) drive 1*1TB SATA drive... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Oct 21 2013 1:22 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,790
    • Points 48,670
    • Moderator: Avid Media Composer for Liquid
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Encoding to DVD mpeg files - Avid DVD and Sorenson woes

To fit an 84-minute sequence onto a single sided DVD requires that you use Variable Bit Rate (VBR) and not Constant Bit Rate (CBR). Even then, the average bitrate is going to be rather low. If you use PCM (.WAV) audio (fixed at 1.536Mb/s) then you end up with a Max. bitrate of 8Mb/s, average of 5.6Mb/s, and a minimum of 2.2Mb/s. If you encode audio as 2-channel AC3 @ 384Kb/s then the numbers are 9.1/6.7/2.65 mb/s respectively.

If you really want to use CBR with a single sided DVD then you have a bitrate of 5.6Mb/s with PCM audio and 6.7Mb/s with AC3.

If you're using a double sided DVD, then you can encode using CBR at 8Mb/s with PCM audio, or 9.1Mb/s with AC3. Note that except for extreme motion, you don't really see much improvement with the higher bitrates once you hit about 7.5Mb/s. IMHO.

Hope this helps.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia RTX 2060 Super 8, Win 10 Pro, MC (generally the latest or the one just before) [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Wed, Oct 23 2013 10:56 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,426
    • Points 98,100

You might like to try this:  create a dual layer (not double sided, as I originally posted) disc image in of your first conversion and save it to a hard drive.  Then download ISOedit and install it.  ISOedit can read most DVD images, and will further reduce your file size.  It will then create a single sided ISO image, which you can then burn.  Typically, there should be little to no subjective quality reduction.

As I understand it, ISOedit doesn't recompress the media, it eliminates redundant data.  It is also very fast.  I used it first in a desperation move, and was agreeably surprised at the result.  And the client accepted the end result without question.

Try it.  It won't add much time to your workflow, and it may just be the answer that you need.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Oct 25 2013 3:14 AM In reply to

• Wm.Busby
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • LA, Cali
    • Posts 377
    • Points 4,405

"double sided DVD"... are those even still available anymore? :)

HP Z400 (W3520) 2.67 ghz quad core, 12GB ram, Quadro K2000 (Nvidia driver 310.90), Win 7 Pro 64, MC 5.5.3, Quicktime version 7.6.9, KVM switch, dual 20"... [view my complete system specs]

Forum etiquette rule #1: FILL OUT SYSTEM SPECS IN PROFILE! :)

• Fri, Oct 25 2013 10:15 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,426
    • Points 98,100

Wm.Busby:
    "double sided DVD"... are those even still available anymore? :)
    Well ... no.

But dual layer disks are.  Lazy checking of what I posted...

I've edited the original.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Oct 25 2013 10:33 PM In reply to

• Wm.Busby
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • LA, Cali
    • Posts 377
    • Points 4,405

No problem... just yankin' your chain. Btw... Dave started it anyway Big Smile

HP Z400 (W3520) 2.67 ghz quad core, 12GB ram, Quadro K2000 (Nvidia driver 310.90), Win 7 Pro 64, MC 5.5.3, Quicktime version 7.6.9, KVM switch, dual 20"... [view my complete system specs]

Forum etiquette rule #1: FILL OUT SYSTEM SPECS IN PROFILE! :)

• Sat, Oct 26 2013 4:03 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,426
    • Points 98,100

Wm.Busby:
    Dave started it anyway
    Do you know, I hadn't really picked up on that?  Blame Dave!  Blame Dave!  I didn't do it!

Now back in the days of LaserDisc we did have double sided discs.  And they were a real man-sized 12" disc, too!  A-a-a-ah, the good old days.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller