Latest post Tue, Apr 23 2013 6:21 PM by DLpres. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Apr 10 2013 12:18 PM

• Tentaor
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 15 2007
    • Posts 27
    • Points 330

Low cost shared setup

Hi! First one: I´m spanish so sorry for my poor english!

I work in a small TV Production Center. We are looking for a low cost shared setup for our avid systems. We are newbies in shared storages. We need 2 systems working with the same clips at time. All material in a shared disk. ISIS seems to be to much costly for our little setup. It´s work for us a simple shared array of disk? We need edit XDCAM HD clips in MC6.5. Solutions? Thanks!

MAC PRO EARLY 2008 32 GB RAM OSX EL CAPITAN 10.11.6 media composer 8.4.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 10 2013 1:22 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,716
    • Points 67,035

Re: Low cost shared setup

Symphony 20.06, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Thu, Apr 11 2013 8:14 AM In reply to

• Tentaor
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 15 2007
    • Posts 27
    • Points 330

Thanks for the link!

MAC PRO EARLY 2008 32 GB RAM OSX EL CAPITAN 10.11.6 media composer 8.4.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 11 2013 8:44 AM In reply to

It looks like prices could be on the way down.

There are a lot of options but if you can stretch to an ISIS your life will be easier in the long run.

The link to the open source solution is a lot of hard work on the IT side.

Almost everyone I know who went with a budget slution says 2 years later looking back it would have been better to spend on a known off the shelf system. The lost time work stress and delayed jobs due to fine tuning or just plain limitations soon offsets the inital cash saving.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Filed under:
  • Thu, Apr 11 2013 10:43 AM In reply to

• udosauer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • Posts 448
    • Points 5,255

Think about just duplicating the material to two different drives/raids whatever you like. You can sync new mediafiles via network. That should be the cheapest solution.

regards

Udo

2x HP Z800 with Mojo DX and MC7.0 | 1x HP Z800 with Nitris DX and MC7.0+SYM-Option | 1x Unity MEFC5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 11 2013 11:21 AM In reply to

udosauer:

Think about just duplicating the material to two different drives/raids whatever you like. You can sync new mediafiles via network. That should be the cheapest solution.

regards

Udo

And in fact it's what we and lots of folks do.

True shared working isn't often needed and it's a lot less cost and admin to run duplicate media setups and move media aroudn in the background. On a 1Gb network you can move media pretty quick.

Bins etc can be moved around on a network share if you take care and do it manually.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Filed under:
  • Thu, Apr 11 2013 3:39 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,716
    • Points 67,035

I'm reading while synchronizing the three hard drives (the editing workstation, the assistant workstation, a safety backup) belonging to the feature I'm editing, some 10k files, roughly 1.2 TB of data, and guys I'm not enjoying myself, so while I do agree that for small projects sharing cloned drives across a couple of systems is a sensible choice and the most affordable one I wouldn't recommend it for large projects. I took a test drive with indiestor but I did not dare to use it for this project as I was already in the middle of the run when I first heard of it, but as I'm writing I'm not keen that I didn't have the guts! The setup was fairly easy on an old dual core system, dual 1 gigabit NIC, there's no need for a powerful last generation CPU while fast storage and ethernet (perhaps fiber) are a must, altough a better system wouldn't hurt at all, with 1000-1500 euro (storage not included) indiestor should be more than happy; Ubuntu is easy to install, indiestor is easy as well,  while configuring and using it is well documented, but I have to admit that I'm a long time linux user, the good news being that a GUI is in the pipeline, making things easier for the less technical people. To be fully honest I did not experiment very much with the system as I have had no time to spare, so I can't speak regarding editing performance, playback of DNxHD 36 was fine, don't know what is like real editing, but for the next fairly large project I will certainly use it, fingers crossed (do guinea pigs have fingers?); of course an Avid solution would be smooth, but if money is tight indiestor seems to me a valid alternative, at least for a small shop, and the investment is way lower even than Editshare, so as the original question was about a low cost shared setup I mentioned it, of course with my own limited experience with it I can't say that I'm 100% sure that it's the perfect solution: take Your own risk, but feedback from users seems to be more than encouraging; I hope that I'll need shared storage anytime soon, it would mean being on a big job, and will report on the indiestor outcome, if You don't hear from me it'll mean that the crisis is hitting harder.

Symphony 20.06, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Fri, Apr 12 2013 1:45 PM In reply to

There's the VidSharX solution. It's 200 bucks and even tho' I don't personally use that, there are people here in this forum that told me it works pretty well.

MacBook Pro 16 (2019), 8GB 5500MX, 32GB RAM, OSX 10.15.4, MC 2020.4 || Mac Pro 8 core 2.4 Ghz (Middle 2010), 40 Gb RAM, BM Mini Monitor 4k, GTX970 4GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Apr 14 2013 6:36 PM In reply to

Have a look at indiestor (freeware) and quantastor. I've also heard good things about dynamic drive pool ssd systems but never tested.

Once in a while used unity's show up on ebay. A fiber connected unity 5 is still a great system if you ask me.

EDIT: forgot to mention mxfserver which is also being used by more people as an alternative to unity/isis.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Tue, Apr 23 2013 6:21 PM In reply to

• DLpres
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 31 2010
    • Posts 49
    • Points 575

+1 for you to check out VidSharx, and there's another new player promising Unity-like bin sharing with all the perks, on XSAN. The pricing though is $1,500/seat.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller