Latest post Fri, Aug 2 2013 6:48 PM by Kevin Klimek. 70 replies.
Page 1 of 5 (71 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Apr 8 2013 1:59 PM

Yes [Y] ** Media Composer 7 w/Symphony Option ANNOUNCED **

Avid has announced the upcoming release of Media Composer v7.0 at NAB!

EFFECTIVE with this release, there will no longer be a Symphony stand-alone product.  Instead, a "Symphony option" will be available for Media Composer (much like PhraseFind or ScriptSync.)  The Symphony option will include the Advanced Color Correction and Universal Mastering, as well as the Boris Continuum Complete 8 package.  Current Symphony customers, when they upgrade, will get Media Composer v7.0 w/Symphony option.

New features announced with this product:

- FrameFlex: the ability to use 2K-5K footage in your HD timeline with keyframing.
    - 1D/3D Look-up Tables (LUTs) and Color Decision Lists (CDLs) supported
    - Dynamic Media Folders with profiles for background Consolidate / Transcode / Copy
    - Managed AMA Media
    - Master Audio Fader
    - Cached Audio Waveforms
    - Direct Audio Clip Gain
    from within the timeline
    - AS-11 support
    - Native support for XVAC (2/4K via AMA)
    - Interplay Sphere for Mac and PC

Additional information on Media Composer v7.0 can be found here.

The release date for Media Composer v7.0 will be on or around June 27, 2013.

Customers who purchase Media Composer v6.5 or Symphony v6.5 as of April 7, 2013, will receive v7.0 for free provided they register their product and retrieve their upgrade code by June 30, 2013.

Pricing will start at US$999 for new systems; slightly more for the Interplay option.  Upgrades from v6.5 will start at US$299 and upgrades from v6.0 and earlier will start at US$399.  More complete pricing information will follow.

** We'll update this thread with additional information as it becomes available. **

Feel free to post your "What's New with v7.0" questions below...

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Mon, Apr 8 2013 3:24 PM In reply to

• YOP
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 163
    • Points 2,220

Re: ** Media Composer 7 w/Symphony Option ANNOUNCED **

Hi Kevin

At Avid store it says:

"Media Composer 7 is coming soon…

Get a complimentary Media Composer 7 upgrade with the Symphony option (once available) when you upgrade or crossgrade to Symphony 6.5 on or after April 7, 2013 and register your purchase."

You wrote here that Symphony 6 users will need to pay 399$ for 7 upgade. If I upgrade now to 6.5 it's 299$. So what will be the final price for 6.X users to upgrade to 7 now?

Thanks

Yair

System - Avid Media Composer 2020.6 + Symphony Option, HP Z840, ZTurbo 500GB for System,Windows 10, CPU E5-2650V3 10 Core, 128GB RAM, AMD FirePro W7100... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 8 2013 3:29 PM In reply to

Yair:

If you purchase v6.5 during the "protect" period (now until the software is released) you will receive v7.0 for free, as along as you register and get your new activation codes before June 30.

In the past people thought they could get their codes at any time after purchasing during the "protect" period, but that isn't the case.

The "protect" website for v7.0 will be up and running closer to the release.  But if you purchase now and register, you will be covered.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Mon, Apr 8 2013 3:38 PM In reply to

And one addedum to Kevin's post, you must REGISTER the software BEFORE June 30, 2013 to get the free upgrade to v7 regardless of whether you install and run the v6.5 software or not before that date. You will do that at www.avid.com/register.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Apr 8 2013 4:01 PM In reply to

• YOP
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 163
    • Points 2,220

Hi Kevin and Larry

Now it's clear. I think I will upgrade in the next few days.

Thanks a lot!!

Yair

System - Avid Media Composer 2020.6 + Symphony Option, HP Z840, ZTurbo 500GB for System,Windows 10, CPU E5-2650V3 10 Core, 128GB RAM, AMD FirePro W7100... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 8 2013 7:53 PM In reply to

• mcdannyj
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Oct 9 2011
    • Posts 35
    • Points 485

Hi Larry,

I think I understand how the upgrade policy works, but I have another question or two.  

I'm currently on Symphony 6.0.3, and was waiting to upgrade until after I saw what NAB would bring.  I definitely want to upgrade to the new MC 7 and I would like to do the upgrade-to-6.5/get-MC7-for-free-when-released move, but because I'm in the middle of editing on a feature, I can't risk upgrading the system mid-project. (And boy-howdy, I wish I was on 6.5 now because I would love the audio refinements - the timing just didn't work out).

My first question - if I buy the 6.5 upgrade now, will I get the information that will allow me to register it and get the deal currently on offer, even though my copy of Symphony 6.5 would remain uninstalled and unactivated?  It might not be installable for another month or two whilst I'm still on this show.

Or in other words, does doing the appropriate registration for the MC 7 upgrade require that I install the software, if only to properly register it.  I'm pretty sure I have my Mac ID and other hardware-specific information from prior registrations, but doesn't Avid send me all the serialization/activation information that will make registration complete?  Or do I have to through Avid's license control, etcetera.  

If the answer is yes, I do have to install 6.5 to register, then my other question is... as I have a second internal hard drive on my computer that's not the boot drive, could I deactivate my Symphony 6.0.3, install 6.5 to the other drive, register it, deactivate, and reactivate my older Symphony?  I'm trying to avoid taking my current version of Symphony offline, since I'm using it every day.

Does my question make sense, or am I overthinking all this?

Thanks for any advice - 7 looks like a winner of an upgrade.

Dan Lawrence

2014 Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 ● 16 GB RAM ● 27" Cinema Display ● Media Composer 2020.8 (on Mac OS X 10.14.6) [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 8 2013 8:05 PM In reply to

mcdannyj,

You don't have to install it, you just have to register it.

-- Kevin

• Mon, Apr 8 2013 8:37 PM In reply to

Kevin Klimek:
    You don't have to install it, you just have to register it.

...and you will need to complete the registration process when you purchase the 6.5 upgrade BEFORE June 30, 2013 to qualify for the free upgrade to v7. So to answer your question, no, you do not need to install the software in order to register it.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Apr 8 2013 9:04 PM In reply to

• Ken Lent
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Dec 18 2007
    • California
    • Posts 129
    • Points 1,375

How do you register an upgrade purchased from the Avid Store?

Core i7 930 PC 2.8GHz / 18GB RAM / Win10 Pro 64bit / nVidia Quadro K2200 (driver 411.95) / MC 2018.12.9 (Symphony/PF/SS) / BCC AVX 10.0.2 / NewBlue Titler... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 8 2013 9:28 PM In reply to

Ken Lent:

well...:

Larry Rubin:

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 8 2013 9:47 PM In reply to

• Ken Lent
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Dec 18 2007
    • California
    • Posts 129
    • Points 1,375

Job ter Burg:

Ken Lent:

well...:

Larry Rubin:

Thank you, Job and Larry.  Doh!  Shoulda checked the backstory.

Core i7 930 PC 2.8GHz / 18GB RAM / Win10 Pro 64bit / nVidia Quadro K2200 (driver 411.95) / MC 2018.12.9 (Symphony/PF/SS) / BCC AVX 10.0.2 / NewBlue Titler... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 9 2013 4:30 AM In reply to

Hi Kevin, that's an excellent upgrade which I'm looking forward to however I do have a question or two.

I can now import 2K and 4K etc from Red, Black Magic etc. and I can do an enormous amount of FX, Titles and almost anything I can think of using Fusion, Sapphire etc., Is this work I'm doing in 2K or 4K?, and how do I output in 2K or 4K? or am I still limited to working and output at 1920 x 1080.

Many thanks. Peter.

• Tue, Apr 9 2013 5:25 AM In reply to

Everything will still end up HD in Rec 709. No true resolution independance.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 9 2013 7:49 AM In reply to

• Glans
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 640
    • Points 9,830

Is the editing lag with thrid party output devices still happening with v7.0? Can the tech-people please look into this and respond? Because I'm not sure if I want to keep using MC if it's still there, it's a ridiculous problem that's been around since the release of v6.0, still not fixed in 6.5.

Job ter Burg:

Everything will still end up HD in Rec 709. No true resolution independance.

You mean that MC can't export 4K? Really don't understand the point of it then, I'll continue do online in Adobe Premiere.

* Intel core i7 (3,7 Ghz), 16gb RAM, GeForce GTX 580 3gb - workstation. * Macbook Pro Retina 15 (late 2013) 16gb Ram - Laptop * DeckLink Extreme3D with... [view my complete system specs]

64 bit, GPU acceleration, better AMA, better exports with GPU acceleration, better grading with true secondary and lift gamma gain, higher resolutions (4K, 5K etc.) and a video stream online (for directors being far away on the phone or skype).

That would blow ANY competition away and it will be future-proof MC for a long time.

• Tue, Apr 9 2013 10:03 AM In reply to

• Sam
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Apr 9 2013
    • Derby / Nottingham, United Kingdom
    • Posts 27
    • Points 385
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

I'm interested in this 4K talk, but another thing crossed my mind - where does Boris fit in to this?  Is it going to be a separate purchase, or is it part of Symphony options?

Mac Pro Processor: 2 x 2.66GHz 6-core Intel Xeon Memory: 24GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024MB Displays: 2 x HP ZR2440w 24-inch [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 5 (71 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller