Latest post Thu, Feb 21 2013 3:45 PM by Random Post. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 23 2013 3:33 PM

• AndersL
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Aug 13 2010
    • Copenhagen
    • Posts 11
    • Points 145

Batch Importing Hi-res xdcam with Legacy feature

We are using a workflow where we batch import from our U2 xdcam drive to MC6.

I decompose the sequence and batch import the clips, disabling AMA and feeding the U2 the disk it asks for.

However we have A LOT of disks in the project, and when we batch import, the Avid asks for the disks in random order, not numeral order. Is there any way to make the Avid start with the disk at the lowest number?

Anbody with any suggestions?

WINDOWS 7 PROFESSIONAL (64) AVID SYMPHONY NITRIX DX, software version 6.01 HP z800 workstation NVIDIA QUADRO FX3800 1 GB VIDEO CARD 2 x XEON X5650... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 23 2013 5:08 PM In reply to

Re: Batch Importing Hi-res xdcam with Legacy feature

The method I use is to link to the disc via AMA (make sure you set the disc label column accordingly).  Then I have my AMA settings set to Consolidate the most compressed.  Do the edit and when I'm read to up-Rez switch the AMA setting back to Consolidat highest quality and load the first disc.  Right-click on the seq and Consolidate. That way, I control the order that the discs are loaded

Here's a video tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABQ4uaEDSgc&sns=em

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Wed, Jan 23 2013 6:35 PM In reply to

• AndersL
    • Not Ranked
    • Copenhagen
    • Posts 11
    • Points 145

I know the workflow you are using. But as I said earlier, i have A LOT of disks (1000+) from which perhaps 50-60 was used in the sequence.

That means it would take an insane amount of time to convert the sequence to full res by finding all the disks i need from the shelf, and then to relink and consolidat the clips one by one.

The workflow i have really works well for me, except for the thing i was trying to get help for:Legacy batch import un numeral order.

Anyone? 

WINDOWS 7 PROFESSIONAL (64) AVID SYMPHONY NITRIX DX, software version 6.01 HP z800 workstation NVIDIA QUADRO FX3800 1 GB VIDEO CARD 2 x XEON X5650... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 23 2013 7:41 PM In reply to

This used to make batch capturing easier for me.

Duplicate sequence to new Bin
    Decompose
    Set Bin view to show Clip Name, Tape (Disk Label in your case) Start time (not really needed for XDCAM) only.
    Print Bin (Do not Sort)

The order of the Tapes (or Disks) in the Bin print out is (well always was for me) the order Avid will ask for them

This was never in numerical order but at least I could know the order that Avid would asked for tapes (and even more usful to me, the first clips start time on the tape)

• Thu, Jan 24 2013 3:33 PM In reply to

• Haze
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 764
    • Points 10,205

AndrewAction:
    Decompose
    Set Bin view to show Clip Name, Tape (Disk Label in your case) Start time (not really needed for XDCAM) only.
    Print Bin (Do not Sort)

What if you sorted the bin by disk label and then selected all the clips from the same disk for import? 

It seems like this would be more efficient than MC asking the operator to load and unload the same disk over and over again.  I agree that this is frustrating.

Avid DS 11 | Z800, Symphony 6.5 | HP xw 8600, MC 6.5 | HP Z400, Unity Storage [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jan 24 2013 8:03 PM In reply to

Haze:
    than MC asking the operator to load and unload the same disk over and over again.
    Does it do that?? From my memory my batch imports from XDCAM and XDCAM HD asked for disks in seemingly random order but then took all the required clips from that disk
    Haze:
    What if you sorted the bin by disk label and then selected all the clips from the same disk for import? 
    .That would be a good alternative for me

• Mon, Jan 28 2013 3:19 PM In reply to

• Haze
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Posts 764
    • Points 10,205

AndrewAction:
    Does it do that??

Happened to me on 5.5.  Haven't tested the batch seq import on with 6.5

Avid DS 11 | Z800, Symphony 6.5 | HP xw 8600, MC 6.5 | HP Z400, Unity Storage [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 30 2013 4:32 AM In reply to

Just did a simple test with 6.5.2

Imported proxies from 6 disks  Just over 1000 files.
    Threw the clips on the timeline (taking the clips at random from any of the 6 disks
    Timeline was just uinder 10 minutes.
    Decomposed and Batch Imported
    Avid choose the disks in random order but took all clips from each disk when it had it loaded.

Deleted all imported clips and decompose timeline. Decomposed the original sequence again
    Sorted bin by Disk Label and Batch imported.
    Avid again asked for Disks in random order (Noticed it was the same order as the first time)
    Again took all clips from loaded disk.

Deleted all imported clips and decompose timeline again. Decomposed the original sequence again
    Sorted Bin by Start TC Batch Imported.
    Avid again took the disks in the same random order.
    Noticed that this random order coincided with the reverse order of the disks start TC.  Dik with Start time of 10:00:00:00 first disk with TC starting at 6 hours second 5 hours Third etc  The disks came from random projects so each disks start times bore no resemblance to the disk labels alpha numeric names

Obviously not a real life test as my timeline only had simple AV cuts on V1 A1 and A2.

Looks like the suggestion to sort the Decompose capturebin by disk lables and then select all clips from a disk is the most logical solution for knowing which disk to take off the shelf next.

• Thu, Feb 21 2013 2:16 PM In reply to

• AndersL
    • Not Ranked
    • Copenhagen
    • Posts 11
    • Points 145

AndrewAction:
    Noticed that this random order coincided with the reverse order of the disks start TC.  Dik with Start time of 10:00:00:00 first disk with TC starting at 6 hours second 5 hours Third etc  The disks came from random projects so each disks start times bore no resemblance to the disk labels alpha numeric names

This is interesting reading!

If there is system on which order MC asks for the disks, that means that it should be possible to change that system in a new revision MC6.5 

• Thu, Feb 21 2013 3:45 PM In reply to

• Random Post
    • Not Ranked
    • Toronto, canada
    • Posts 81
    • Points 1,025

Since Avid will always ask for Discs/tapes in the same order, I ended up using the low-tech approach: start the rez-up process, when Avid prompts for disc/Tape "X" write the number on a piece of paper -Yes, I know you have to be able to provide pen and paper-.

On the paper, write the discs / tapes in order that Avid asks for.  Just hit "Skip this disc/tape" command when prompted and go to the next disc/tape... continue until you've gone through the entire list.  I often had to spend several minutes hunting/finding the reels, and putting them in order, on a low-tech table, all the discs / tapes needed for the project.

When time came to rez-up for real, all the discs/tapes are easily findable and makes for a efficient rez-ups

MC 8.8.6 on a Z820 Win7/64 48Gb RAM, Black Magic design Decklink Studio 4k... C drive is a Crucial SSD, Internal 6Tb esata (striped 2x3Tb), HP Thunderbolt2... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller