Latest post Mon, Dec 22 2014 10:14 PM by Eduardo Serrano. 167 replies.
Page 1 of 12 (168 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 23 2013 1:42 AM

Open I/O Anyone from Avid wanna chime in ?

any chance were gonna see this optimized with 3rd prty solutions? seems like the only happy people are using AJA boxes and Avid's own. 

Now version 6.5.2, announced in 6.0 and still doesnt work right. Please test the trim thouroughly especially with caps lock on. Please test color correction mode. This is where its worst. Please check out segment mode too, a bit sticky there. 

I and others are probably sound like broken records at this point but a little clarity, and a little, we know were working on itevery once in a while helps. Theres currently 2 threads on the main page with no answer from anyone at avid at all for both blackmagic and matrox solutions. 

• Wed, Jan 23 2013 1:59 AM In reply to

Re: Open I/O Anyone from Avid wanna chime in ?

Marianna has posted several updates to each thread.  I hope you're also putting pressure on the folks at BMD and Matrox.  with enough pressure on all sides, I'm sure it will get fixed.

Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option Win7x64 Pro HP zBook 15" Laptop - 16GB RAM (2nd System) Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option - HP z420... [view my complete system specs]

The FunkyDragon 

Happy Editing!

• Wed, Jan 23 2013 2:15 AM In reply to

FunkyDragon:
    I hope you're also putting pressure on the folks at BMD and Matrox.  with enough pressure on all sides, I'm sure it will get fixed.

This is a very valid point. All too often, (without naming names) Avid has reached out to 3rd party vendors who are sometimes un or underesponsive. Additional direct contact from the user base may stir some more immediate attention and reaction.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Jan 23 2013 2:15 AM In reply to

FunkyDragon:

Marianna has posted several updates to each thread.  I hope you're also putting pressure on the folks at BMD and Matrox.  with enough pressure on all sides, I'm sure it will get fixed.

Your right before the release of 6.5 Marianna and others were very helpfull with info about it, saying the fix was coming, there working with BMD/Matrox etc. They hinted at the fix coming 6.5. A month went by, 6.5 came out. No word of open i/o fix. 6.5.0.1 comes out, no word of a fix. 6.5.2 and you see the trend and no words about at all. Several threads popped up recently with the 6.0.3.2 and 6..5.2 updates about BMD and Matrox and no one from avid is chiming in anymore. A little info goes a long way. I would put alot more pressure on BM but there drivers work great in every other software they support, except for Avid and theyve released several fixes avid specific in the 9.5.3 and 9.6.8 software which helped enourmously. Avid hasnt had an open i/o fix in any of the readmes since the release of 6.0. 

• Wed, Jan 23 2013 2:18 AM In reply to

Larry Rubin:

FunkyDragon:
    I hope you're also putting pressure on the folks at BMD and Matrox.  with enough pressure on all sides, I'm sure it will get fixed.

This is a very valid point. All too often, (without naming names) Avid has reached out to 3rd party vendors who are sometimes un or underesponsive. Additional direct contact from the user base may stir some more immediate attention and reaction.

Trust me, people have been active on BMD's forum, and they seemed to respond with a fix in a decent time. Twice with the 9.5.3 and 9.6.8 drivers. Obviuosly its not entirely on avid and 3rd party drivers play a huge role, in any situation, but it leads me to think its time to for Avid to do a few tweaks on there own, since BM has responded and even Matrox just recently with there new driver andthings are still rather sticky on both ends. 

• Wed, Jan 23 2013 2:28 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,553
    • Points 255,110
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Robert

the stickey wicket here is it is a two fold approach. We tweak some of our performance and the I/O partners tweek some of theirs.  Reports from the field come in and we continue down this path which we are on to resolve.  Another wrinkle in this is the age and revisions of the I/O products which support pre Open I/O and Post Open I/O which handle calls differently.

The builds we used of the Black Magic driver to test with Leone were 9.6.0, 9.6.1 and 9.6.2.  

I have again reached out to Ron D and Dave C in PM in hopes I can get a little more clarity.

Marianna 

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 23 2013 4:11 PM In reply to

Thanks for the clarity! Please test out there latest drivers 9.6.9 as  i think they made some significant changes. Its so close! 

• Wed, Jan 23 2013 5:59 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,553
    • Points 255,110
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

I'll get the CET team in the loop on this.

marianna 

• Wed, Jan 23 2013 7:13 PM In reply to

• Marty
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 3 2005
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Posts 956
    • Points 11,240

It's not only 3rd party hardware. Even Nitris DX and Mojo DX have this lag with trimming & slip / slide since MC 6.0.

So it must be on the Avid side. I'm still working with 5.5 until this perfomance problem and the huge audio mixer are fixed.

all different setups in various editing suites. my own: MC 2021.5, OSX 10.14.6, iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019), 3,6 GHz Intel Core i9, 64GB RAM, Radeon... [view my complete system specs]

www.film-editing.de

• Wed, Jan 23 2013 7:26 PM In reply to

Bloersch:

It's not only 3rd party hardware. Even Nitris DX and Mojo DX have this lag with trimming & slip / slide since MC 6.0.

So it must be on the Avid side. I'm still working with 5.5 until this perfomance problem and the huge audio mixer are fixed.

Good to know. I know people who are swearing up and down with AJA gear, but i got on a t-tap setup the other day and it was laggy too. About the same as the blackmagic. 

I have a feeling the people claiming sucess dont really use the trim and color modes to the fullest or have never actually used a pre 6 MC setup with nitris/mojo to see how it should really work. No offense to anyone claiming success, just abroad assumption. 

The current state of BM and MC6.5 is definately useable, but for those who have used 5 with adequate hardware know it can be so much better. were super closetho! and thanks Marianna for looping in the techs. 

• Wed, Jan 23 2013 9:48 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,553
    • Points 255,110
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Bloersch - not the same issue. 

There are hardware calls made which cause this..... the lag is a know issue with the editign app and doesnt have anything to do with the sluggishness of the Open I/O.

Been immersed in this since the get go... so I know this for fact.  Doesnt make it any easier but thats the scoop.

My hope is the enxt release..... will resolve some of both these issues.

marianna 

• Wed, Jan 23 2013 10:22 PM In reply to

• Mikee Carpinter
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 30 2010
    • Auckland New Zealand
    • Posts 60
    • Points 940

Sorry Marianna but this has been a broken promise for so long now.

I hope Avid does not expect any of us to pay for the next upgrade where this issue finally gets solved.

Can we ve promised that this issue will be a free upgrade with MC 6 version?

Thanks

Mac Pro 2008 Two 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon processors AVID MC 5.5 Davinci Resolve 8.2 Nvidia Quadro 4000 GPU NVidia 8800 Display Black Magic... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jan 24 2013 1:57 PM In reply to

Hi,

I just wanted to give you an update on what's going on here.  The issue requires a fix on Avid and the 3rd party's driver. Avid has attempted to make some fixes to the Open I/O API to accomidate a fix, it hasn't worked.  So, we're looking at rearchitecting some of the player technology to improve the functionality.  We purpose built Nitris DX and Mojo DX so this issue did not occur. Obviously in 2008, there was no plan to open up the Media Composer App to 3rd parties so we have to go back and improve this experience.  We're well aware of the issue and the I/O partners are too.  Strangely this issue does present itself differently depending on the hardware and some users do not experience it the issue at all.  We believe they simply do not notice it or it doesn't bother them or they have workflows where it does not present itself as bothersome.  I don't have a date on when this fix will occur but when we do fix it we will decide which stream of software it will be introduced into.  We are still fixing bugs back in 6.0 and releasing patches for this release so if we still have the software in bug fix engineering we would fix it back to that release.  It depends on when we actually address the issue then the 3rd parties introduce a new driver.

Dave

• Thu, Jan 24 2013 4:32 PM In reply to

Dave Avid PM:

Hi,

I just wanted to give you an update on what's going on here.  The issue requires a fix on Avid and the 3rd party's driver. Avid has attempted to make some fixes to the Open I/O API to accomidate a fix, it hasn't worked.  So, we're looking at rearchitecting some of the player technology to improve the functionality.  We purpose built Nitris DX and Mojo DX so this issue did not occur. Obviously in 2008, there was no plan to open up the Media Composer App to 3rd parties so we have to go back and improve this experience.  We're well aware of the issue and the I/O partners are too.  Strangely this issue does present itself differently depending on the hardware and some users do not experience it the issue at all.  We believe they simply do not notice it or it doesn't bother them or they have workflows where it does not present itself as bothersome.  I don't have a date on when this fix will occur but when we do fix it we will decide which stream of software it will be introduced into.  We are still fixing bugs back in 6.0 and releasing patches for this release so if we still have the software in bug fix engineering we would fix it back to that release.  It depends on when we actually address the issue then the 3rd parties introduce a new driver.

Dave

again thanks for the calrity. I guess alot of us see this is a high prioity bug to squash as its touted as a major feature for MC 6.x and alot of people were able to switch to media composer at a low cost, assuming they would be able to use there old hardware as promised. 

Again both workstation with Blackmagic I/O's are useable for me at least, but its so close to what we all know media composer shouldfeel like its a bit frustrating. 

• Thu, Jan 24 2013 6:04 PM In reply to

Dave Avid PM:

Hi,

Dave

Dave,

I much appreciate the response. I'm also baffled at how long it has taken Avid and its Open I/O partners this long to publicly acknowledge that these issues exist and publicly state this outline of the steps being taken.

I have no idea who is responsible for the above text not being put out here much, much earlier (say 12 months ago or so), but I strongly feel that that has been a wrong decision, incomprehensible to the users of Avid's core editing product. There, I said it. Communicate, please, communicate about stuff like this.

Job

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 12 (168 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller