Latest post Sat, Jan 12 2013 5:12 AM by Kevin P McAuliffe. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 9 2013 12:54 AM

• greg
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, May 4 2012
    • SA TX
    • Posts 24
    • Points 375

Drag and drop in AvidFX

1. I bought the AvidFX tutorial DVD, it says to just drag and drop footage when using

as stand alone. I keep getting an error that says it doesnt recognize the file.

I tried using mxf ones and mov.  These clips work in MC6 but trying to drag they say not recognizable.

Anyone have that problem? How do i fix it?

2. Is it better to import via link to AMA Volume or use Sorenson Squeeze?

Media Composer 8, Boris 5.5. PC, WIN7 Professional. ACPIx64, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 TI, [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 9 2013 7:58 AM In reply to

• Vilem
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 10 2010
    • Prague
    • Posts 1,438
    • Points 15,785

Re: Drag and drop in AvidFX

Avid FX, from version 6 (64bit), supports importing only avi and mpg. It is a constraint which is here quite solved.
    V

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/103363.aspx?PageIndex=1

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/114552.aspx

AVID MC2021.06, HP Z620 - 2 x Intel Xeon E5-2620, Quadro P2000 - driver 461.72, RAM 48GB - DDR3, BM Intensity Pro 4k - 12.1, W10 - 64bit Professional... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 9 2013 8:22 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,559
    • Points 255,275
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Thanks for answering this thread before I had time to reply, Vilem

I am not sure which AvidFX DVD Tutorial that Greg is referring to, but it is possible that the person who made it works on a MAC and they omitted to mention the difference between the MAC and the PC in this function. The MAC can still import 64-bit QT MOV files, the PC cannot.

Apart from that, Greg, I don't think that dragging MXF files is supported in any case.
    Instead of dragging and dropping, go to the "Import" function. At the bottom of the window you will see which file types can be imported into your standalone version. (NB. The standalone and the "plug-in" versions are actually the same application - it is only that the plug-in version starts up via Avid;s AVX interface and has a direct link to the MC timeline video tracks.

If you want to use Avid's MXF files it would seem more logical to do it from the Avid Timeline in MC.

But I have no idea what you want to achieve by using the standalone version as opposed to the plug-in.

Regards,
    Douglas

PS. It will help in future questions if you fill in your Profile with setails about your systems.
    Here is a link to a tutorial of mine that describes the process

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/81369.aspx

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 9 2013 9:26 AM In reply to

• Vilem
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 10 2010
    • Prague
    • Posts 1,438
    • Points 15,785

drbgaijin:
    The MAC can still import 64-bit QT MOV files, the PC cannot.

Hello Douglas,
    thanks for the clarification, one sometimes forgets the differences between platforms.
    Good luck in 2013.
    V.

AVID MC2021.06, HP Z620 - 2 x Intel Xeon E5-2620, Quadro P2000 - driver 461.72, RAM 48GB - DDR3, BM Intensity Pro 4k - 12.1, W10 - 64bit Professional... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 9 2013 5:04 PM In reply to

• greg
    • Not Ranked
    • SA TX
    • Posts 24
    • Points 375

Thanks for responses.

Yes on the DVD Tutuorial, by Boris, they are using a mac. In the Tutorial it was just demonstrating that it can run standalone , so i was just practicing. Im still in the beginner phase, even though ive had system for 2 years!

I did read thru the responses on some previous threads, most of them were greek as far as ways to get around it. On the Import i believe it does say that it can support mov file types.

Thanks

Greg

Media Composer 8, Boris 5.5. PC, WIN7 Professional. ACPIx64, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 TI, [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jan 10 2013 12:43 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,559
    • Points 255,275
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

greg:
    Yes on the DVD Tutuorial, by Boris, they are using a mac. In the Tutorial it was just demonstrating that it can run standalone , so i was just practicing. Im still in the beginner phase, even though ive had system for 2 years!

Greg,

Did the voice over in that tutorial say something like, "The easiest way to import media into Avid FX is just by dragging and dropping" ?

If it is that DVD, then I must say that the information was very misleading as what was shown would not work on a 64 bit PC running Avid FX 6.

I still don't know what your system consists of, but I guess it is probably MC 6 or 6.5 (both 64 bit)

If you are running MC 5.x.x or earlier and have Avid FX 5.8 or earlier, then importing a QT mov file should work as shown in that tutorial.

If you have time, drop me an email at douglas@gaijin-eyes.com, and I will suggest some possible ways of getting into the swing of things with Avid FX.

Regards,
    Douglas

• Thu, Jan 10 2013 1:26 AM In reply to

• greg
    • Not Ranked
    • SA TX
    • Posts 24
    • Points 375

Douglas

The tutorail is by Kevin McAuliffe and he does state that the will be using both mac and win.  But, oddly enough, when he talks about importing he is on a mac.  Doesnt mention that its not possible on a PC.

Yes I'm running MC6.5 and AvidFX 6.

I was able to start the tutorials that are in the FX user guide. 

I'm still not sure what kind fo file to use  when using stand alone.

Greg

• Thu, Jan 10 2013 1:52 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,559
    • Points 255,275
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Greg,

I'll leave it up to Kevin to jump in here.

Regards,
    Douglas

• Thu, Jan 10 2013 5:24 PM In reply to

ey Greg,

Thanks for your post, and my apologies for the issue you are having.  A note should have been put on the training video that QT files are not supported on the Windows version of Avid FX.  This oversight will be corrected.  Remember, you can always check the help file to find the answers to questions like this one.  That being said, we obviously want to make sure that you are able to work with Avid FX in a standalone capacity. 

1. Where is the footage from that you are trying to import into the standalone version of Avid FX?
    2. Is there a reason you are using the standalone version, as opposed to doing your compositing inside of MC/Symphony?

Thanks, and let me know when you have a second.

Kevin P McAuliffe

Follow me on Twitter @kpmcauliffe or on Facebook at www.facebook.com/kevinpmcauliffe [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jan 12 2013 4:43 AM In reply to

• greg
    • Not Ranked
    • SA TX
    • Posts 24
    • Points 375

Kevin

I do have MC6 and of course AFX came with it. I was doing lesson 3 off the DVD and thats what it was about. The fact that it can standalone is one of the features that it boasts, not in a bad way, about. So, I was just wanting to follow DVD. I definately am going to finish the DVD and I've also started the Tutorials that were under AFX user guide.

The footage is on my desktop. Is there a list of the file types it can take? When i try to import it dosnt support them.

In the user guide it says there is a list in the Release Notes but it just has two bugs that were fixed.

Why do we have to use the Pic Converter to bring in the pics, for the tutorials in the User Guide, and some of them, in cluding the movie, werent able to be brought in.

Hope this is'nt to novice for you! Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Greg

• Sat, Jan 12 2013 5:12 AM In reply to

Hey Greg,

There is no such question as "too novice".  We all started somewhere, right?  When I ask about the footage, did you digitize it in MC, and export it to work with it in Avid FX?  If so, you will want to select the "AVI" export option.  Let me know if you know how to set that up.  If not, I can give you a quick breakdown.   I've attached a snapshot of all supported footage types to use in the stand alone version of Avid FX.  I think that AVI is your best bet.  Let me know if you still need some help, and we'll get you there.

KPM

Follow me on Twitter @kpmcauliffe or on Facebook at www.facebook.com/kevinpmcauliffe [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller