Latest post Wed, Oct 31 2012 4:50 PM by Robert Goodman . 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Oct 31 2012 2:43 AM

• editor14
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 17 2011
    • Posts 29
    • Points 325

Blackmagic Decklink playback problems

Hi All,

This problem may have already been covered but here we go.

There seems to be some talk around the forums re. BM decklink cards having un-usable playback issues.

I have a Decklink SDI and a Decklink Studio, various qualified MacPro's, all have 12GB RAM, Lion 10.7.5 and MC 6.0.3.

The latest BM drivers are installed 9.6.6, I did have 9.6.4 (same issue). BTW Resolve works fine.

When I play a timeline or rushes, the playback starts to drop frames, jump after 10 seconds on average and alittle sluggish moving around the timeline. Audio plays fine while this is happening.

I have tried both cards on all machines, media from networks drives and local storage with same playback problem.

After a few days of testing looking for that one silly setting...nothing. Frustrated I went out and bought an AJA IO express and a KONA-LHi and boom all worked perfectly and timeline, etc seem snappier. 

I love BM and their products but sorry my advice today is spend abit more and buy AJA for 3rd party I/O it just works.

Has anyone else had and fixed these problems?

• Wed, Oct 31 2012 7:05 AM In reply to

Re: Blackmagic Decklink playback problems

Avid and Bm are supposed to be working on it, although its been a while now. 

Try drivewr 9.5.3.  its the closest thing theyve done to a working driver. Its ok, some have better luck with than others. Trim mode is still abit sticky when using the keyboard and and the same with color correction, but it is useable at in my case. I get way better performance with the thunderbolt extrme than with the deckling extrme hd 2 i have in an old machine at work. 

• Wed, Oct 31 2012 7:33 AM In reply to

I've been holding out for a BM solution to the problems with their cards but we are just a few weeks away from a whole years since V6 MC launched.

I think a years long enough to have sorted the issues. Reluctantly my company now considers the BM cards to be unsuitable and have moved onto alternatives. The AJA ones seems to be the best for the money so far.

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | www.vet-training.co.uk|

Filed under:
  • Wed, Oct 31 2012 10:53 AM In reply to

• Radman
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • UK
    • Posts 911
    • Points 10,620

Hi,

9.6.4 and 9.6.5 were broke for me.

9.6.1 and 9.6.6 Ok but had the toggle issue with 9.6.6.

9.6.7 released today. Give them a try.

Radman.

Win10 64Bit / HP Z800-XW8200 / 5x Quadro M6000. 48 Gig Ram / Cubix Expander 4 / 2x 32TB SAS JMR Raid unit / Avid Artist | Avid Artist DNxIO. 3x 27"... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Oct 31 2012 4:50 PM In reply to

i would suspect nothing has changed for 9.6.7 as it doesnt mention Avid in the readme...until i hear an official word from Avid and BM im sticking with 9.5.3 

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller