Latest post Tue, Oct 2 2012 9:04 PM by Chepal. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Oct 1 2012 7:48 PM

Getting AMA Linked media connected to a sequence

The situation:

An Avid MC-6 bin is emailed to me, there is one sequnce in that bin. 

I open MC-6 and start a new project. Create new bin, open the bin sent via e-mail and move the sequence enclosed in that bin to my new bin. Close the "other bin" folder. Open that sequence into the timeline window all media files are offline (not the problem). 

The media to be used in that sequnce downloads via FTP as .mov files. 

I AMA link to the .mov's and can see each one in my Source Monitor. 

The question:

How do I now make the AMA linked media items connect to my premade sequence? 
    Please and thank you.  

about.me/finalcutcoach

• Tue, Oct 2 2012 1:11 AM In reply to

• Chepal
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • germany
    • Posts 538
    • Points 6,305

Re: Getting AMA Linked media connected to a sequence

hi f_c_c,

relink your sequence to ama_linked_clips (ama_setting: relink to open bins).

or put your sequence in your ama_bin, select all and relink to selected.

if your tc, dur, frame_rate match your sequence_clips, you will be fine.

che

mac_mc_2020, fibre, sata, ssd [view my complete system specs]

peace from germany

• Tue, Oct 2 2012 7:37 PM In reply to

Hey Che, and thanks for your reply. Here's what happened. 

I do have the sequence in question in the same bin as all the AMA linked clips. I can open any of the AMA linked clips into the source monitor and see them play just fine. When I select all the items in that bin and choose Relink, I get the notification "No clips were relinked". 

When I select "Relink to AMA clips" I get the spinning "wait wheel" and must force-quit my Avid. 

Because the AMA links are created from the original media used in the timeline they are all precisely the same duration. I can manually go through each clip in the timeline, select it, open the AMA linked clip in the bin, load it into my source monitor and overwrite it into my timeline and everything works just fine. But this is a 22 minute television episode with over 300 clips to connect. There must be an easier way..?

I'm not at a point with this episode where I'm ready to Import the clips from their external drive just yet. I'd like them to stay where they are and just use the AMA linked proxies to do my initial editing. Once I'm finished my part, then I will consolidate the media. 

Any suggestions? 

about.me/finalcutcoach

• Tue, Oct 2 2012 8:04 PM In reply to

Can you post the Relink dialog box you see before you hit Relink?

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Tue, Oct 2 2012 8:26 PM In reply to

Hey Kevin, thanks for responding but I've had to move past my attempts to use AMA linked media in this pre-made sequence. I'm out of time and have to just Import the clips as work as usual. Too bad though, it would have been really handy to be able to incorporate AMA linking into my workflow. 

I have the Editing Essentials book as well as the Professional Editing book and neither gave me an answer that would work. 

I'd spent the entire day yesterday and until just now trying every different setting possible to make it work and nothing. 

The thing that is most curious to me is that I can create the AMA linked files in literally an instant, see them all open and working just fine in the source monitor. They all have the exact same names as appear in the pre-made sequence and look as though there should be no problem linking to the sequence. But at every attempt, I get either a notice saying "No clips have been linked" or just nothing at all happens. 

I'd love to revisit this workflow again soon but this episode has to get to the broadcaster so I've gotta go with what I know. I do have all my AMA plug-ins updated and showing as active in my console window (AMA_listplugins). Quick-Time is there...

I suppose questions would be...

Do the AMA linked clips all have to be in a specific bin or folder once created? I see nothing about that in the Professional Editing Techniques book.

Do I have to create aliases to the .mov media at the finder level to make it work properly..? Seems ridiculous but I thought I'd ask.

Should I have just asked MC-6 to create the AMA links from the timeline PRIOR to my having created AMA links in the bin to the original .mov media and let the software do the work?

I dunno, I'm just at a loss that I can't see this work nice and smoothly. 

Thanks for paying attention...

about.me/finalcutcoach

• Tue, Oct 2 2012 9:04 PM In reply to

• Chepal
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • germany
    • Posts 538
    • Points 6,305

hi f_c_c,

you can try both ways:

no ama to your qt_files, only your sequence -

ctrl_click your sequence, choose link to ama and select your quicktimes on your drive.

second: ama your qt_files, ctrl_click sequence, choose relink, select "all open bins" and check "allow relinking of imported/ama clips".

try, which way is working for you.

in your case, it had been better to go the "aaf_way" - maybe.

good luck

che

mac_mc_2020, fibre, sata, ssd [view my complete system specs]

peace from germany

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller