Latest post Thu, Mar 26 2020 8:58 PM by Job ter Burg. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Sep 19 2012 1:30 AM

• cutndry
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 19 2012
    • L.A.
    • Posts 2
    • Points 60

fast forward without pitch shift?

Dear Avid Masters - I'm looking for a fast way to review long clips with audio. I'm used to doing this in double or triple speed on other NLE's but on MC 5 i can barely understand the audio (spoken word), because it does the old school, tape like, pitch shift, when playing the video faster than normal speed. is there a way to turn this off?

And thank you for all the awesome tips on this forum!!!

MC 5, Mac OS

MC 5.0.4, Mac OS 10.6.8, Mac Pro 2 x 2.93 Quadcore, 16GB RAm [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 19 2012 8:20 AM In reply to

Re: fast forward without pitch shift?

cutndry:
    is there a way to turn this off?

No, there's not.  Sorry I don't have a better answer.

ciao,
    Carl

Media Composer 2019.12 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Sep 19 2012 11:30 AM In reply to

IMHO it's not just the pitch shift that makes it hard to follow, it's also the speed. Which is why a lot of us have frequently asked for an option to let J-K-L have the option to go from 100 to 150 to 200%, rather than from 100% straight to 200%.

If you use the Artist Transport, this enable you to use the shurtle wheel to in-between speeds. I find that 30-40 fps playback of 24/25fps sources allows me to follow what's being said (even with the changed pitch).

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 19 2012 2:07 PM In reply to

• Dr.DOG
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 26 2007
    • Praha, CZ
    • Posts 95
    • Points 1,275

Avid, please, give us back mouse jog/shuttle, as it was in StudioBoard days.

G5 dualcore 2.3GHz, 3.5GB RAM, OSX.4.7, Mojo SDI, MC 2.64 G3 333 MHz, 640 MB RAM, OS 8.6, MC 9000 [view my complete system specs]

Started on MC 5.12 NuBus

• Wed, Sep 19 2012 4:59 PM In reply to

• cutndry
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 19 2012
    • L.A.
    • Posts 2
    • Points 60

Thanks for the quick responses! Now I at least don't have to look around for a solution anymore. Hopefully Avid can change that in the future. being able to understand what's being said in fast forward is ultra helpful when you have little time and need to edit down long clips very fast. Shouldn't be rocket since either to keep the pitch at normal when you're on a computer and not an analog bay...

MC 5.0.4, Mac OS 10.6.8, Mac Pro 2 x 2.93 Quadcore, 16GB RAm [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 19 2012 6:18 PM In reply to

cutndry:
    being able to understand what's being said in fast forward is ultra helpful when you have little time and need to edit down long clips very fast. Shouldn't be rocket since either to keep the pitch at normal when you're on a computer and not an analog bay...
    You would think so...   Thirty years ago, I was fast-forwarding while previewing clips on a U-Matic deck using a jog shuttle.   I've never been able to do this on MC.    I have a jog shuttle on my Bella Professional Avid Keyboard, but's it's pretty much worthless...no control of speed.   

MC 2018.12.3 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Wed, Sep 19 2012 7:05 PM In reply to

I put a feature request for this 2 years ago.  At the very least I wanted a 1.5x speed option when JKL'ing back and forth.  Some kind of middle ground that is faster than real-time but still enables speech to be understood.  The current 2x playback makes that hard.  

Home: 2012 rMBP 2.6ghz, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.10.5, MC 8.4.1 || Work: HP Z400, Win7 Professional, MC 6.5, ISIS/Interplay @danielfrome on twitter [view my complete system specs]

Avid GoPro

• Sun, Mar 22 2020 2:35 AM In reply to

I read somewhere that there is an option for this now in MC 2019, but I lost the link.  Does anyone know how?

To summarize, I want to increase playback speed with the L key, but play audio at normal pitch as if I am scrubbing with the shift key held down.

Thanks.

• Tue, Mar 24 2020 3:49 PM In reply to

ZorkNation:
    To summarize, I want to increase playback speed with the L key, but play audio at normal pitch as if I am scrubbing with the shift key held down.

I used to scrub audio all the time back in 1982 using a U-Matic deck.   Almost 40 years later and we still can't effectively scrub audio using a keystroke in MC.  It can't be that hard...  Confused

MC 2018.12.3 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Wed, Mar 25 2020 8:14 AM In reply to

It has been there for a while, though (8.9.3 I think). Audio Settings, "pitch during shuttle". 
    And there is Mouse jog. And there is using Play+Stop or Play+Pause simultaneously. And there is Dynamic Shuttle to get to in-between speeds. https://community.avid.com/forums/p/198142/887581.aspx#887581

By the way your U-matics did not correct pitch during shuttle/jog. 

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 25 2020 10:40 AM In reply to

And analogue audio speeded up will always sound different to digital audio sped up. But it does work as listed.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hostred Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Thu, Mar 26 2020 4:55 PM In reply to

It doesn't work in 2019.12.0.  The setting has no effect.  The source monitor always chipmunks during shuttle jog.  The record monitor always corrects pitch during shuttle jog.

https://community.avid.com/forums/p/196883/891984.aspx

• Thu, Mar 26 2020 8:58 PM In reply to

Even with brand new user settings?

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller