Latest post Thu, Nov 1 2012 11:05 AM by Larry Rubin. 84 replies.
Page 3 of 6 (85 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Sep 11 2012 2:47 PM In reply to

Re: MC 6.5.0/SN 6.5.0 NOW AVAILABLE

Makes perfect sense. Why pay out for a half way version when you can make do with what you have and by a better version later when you know you need the extra features.

• Tue, Sep 11 2012 5:43 PM In reply to

• Erik
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 5 2006
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 214
    • Points 2,510

We have 3 Avids at work.. all were running MC 5. On Sept 6 we finally convinced the powers that be that we needed to spend $1800 on getting the MC 6 upgrade for all 3 systems. Went to the Avid web store, purchased 3 licenses for Pre-5.5 to 6.0. Spent while a while downloading 2.5GB of files. Spent a bit of time uninstalling MC 5 and installing MC 6.0.3 on one system (it was late in the day) and getting the dongle updated.

The next day I went through the same process on another system...and during the dongle updating process I now spy MC 6.5 on the list (which wasn't an option the day before). I immediately go to the Avid site to see an announcement that MC 6.5 was released. I about threw a fit until I discovered the "complimentatry upgrade" link at the bottom of the product page. I quickly registered the softeware on that system and tried to fill out the free upgrade form only to be told "Your system does not appear to be eligible for this promotion.". I then threw a fit.

Thinking that it might just take some time for the registration to sync up with everything else, I waited a couple of days... by then I had all 3 systems upgraded to MC 6.0.3 and registered. Still today none of these systems are eligible for an upgrade according to the complimentary upgrade form.

I sent an email to the customer advocate mailbox yesterday about my predicament and have as of yet still not heard anything back from them. I'm going to be extremely upset if software upgrades purchased from the Avid webstore the day before the release of a new version are not eligible for this upgrade to the latest version.

MC 2019.9 Asus Prime X299 Deluxe, 64GB of Memory, Core i9 7940x @3.1Ghz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 Ti. Running Win10 Pro 64bit MC 2018.4 Dell Precision... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 11 2012 5:48 PM In reply to

Erik:
    I sent an email to the customer advocate mailbox yesterday...

Avid's customer advocate is Marianna Montague (marianna.montague@avid.com), and I'm sure she'll fix this for you.  While you're waiting, you could run 6.5 in trial mode, which is fully functional and lasts for 30 days, which should be long enough to get the problem solved.

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2020.10 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Tue, Sep 11 2012 5:49 PM In reply to

From the Avid shop:

Complimentary Media Composer upgrades

You’re eligible to receive a complimentary upgrade to Media Composer 6.5 if you've done one of the following:

• Purchased a Media Composer 6 upgrade, crossgrade, or the full version on or between August 8–September 7, 2012

So I have to think you'll be fine. Avid's upgrading system is many times a kludgely mess, but fairness always prevails. It may take some time track down what the problem is, most assuredly it's on Avid's side. But I have to think that you'll be fine.

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Tue, Sep 11 2012 6:47 PM In reply to

• Erik
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 214
    • Points 2,510

camoscato:

Avid's customer advocate is Marianna Montague (marianna.montague@avid.com), and I'm sure she'll fix this for you.

Is that the same as customer customer_advocate@avid.com ?

The page at http://www.avid.com/US/support/protect

Says this in a side box:

Unable to get your upgrade?

Be sure you meet the criteria to the left. If you are eligible but our system indicates otherwise, please email us. Be sure to include your name, purchase date, email address, and system ID. We will respond within 24–48 hours.

The email us link is to the customer_advocate@avid.com address. It's been about 27 hours since I sent them an email... Is emailing Marianna directly a better choice?

MC 2019.9 Asus Prime X299 Deluxe, 64GB of Memory, Core i9 7940x @3.1Ghz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 Ti. Running Win10 Pro 64bit MC 2018.4 Dell Precision... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 11 2012 6:56 PM In reply to

Erik:
    Is emailing Marianna directly a better choice?

Always.  Include all the information asked for by the side box of the other page, and give her a bit of time to respond.  There were a lot of website/registration issues with 6.5, so she's got a lot of people to help, but I guarantee she'll get to you and make it right.

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2020.10 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Tue, Sep 11 2012 7:26 PM In reply to

And please keep in mind that she fields some 3,000 to 4,000 emails PER DAY. Be glad you're not in that position.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Sep 12 2012 5:52 AM In reply to

• ZFigas
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jan 31 2006
    • Poland
    • Posts 125
    • Points 1,680

Hi,

Very good koteditor's opinion.

I found many bugs in v. 6.0.3 without any reaction from Avid side.

Why I have to pay next money in this situation?

Zb. Figas (Poland).

HP Z8 G4, 2xXeon-6246R, 128 GB RAM, Win 10 Ultimate, MC 2020.10, Nvidia Quadro RTX 4000, Boris Red 5.6, BCC 14.0, Saphire 11.0.2 Adobe CC, TMPGenc [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 12 2012 6:22 AM In reply to

• ZFigas
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jan 31 2006
    • Poland
    • Posts 125
    • Points 1,680

I afraid that John Mac is right.

We very quickly buy version 6.5, now,  then we will free testers and after a few months will be to upgrade to Windows 8.

Next price - 800 Euro for Europe. In my opinion the Avid lost its way.

Zb. Figas 

HP Z8 G4, 2xXeon-6246R, 128 GB RAM, Win 10 Ultimate, MC 2020.10, Nvidia Quadro RTX 4000, Boris Red 5.6, BCC 14.0, Saphire 11.0.2 Adobe CC, TMPGenc [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 12 2012 7:40 AM In reply to

• YOP
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 163
    • Points 2,220

ZFigas:

In my opinion the Avid lost its way.

Zb. Figas 

I think they made a business mistake. They thought that now when FCP is not a real competitive anymore

They can charge what ever they want and the customers dont have realy much options(apart from not upgrading) I think that most of the customers at least here (at Avid's forums) are not going to upgrade and I think that this is going to be the general tone with customers all over the world.
    none of my friends is going to upgrade and most of the Post Productions houses I know here didn't even upgrade to 6.X because all the bugs. 5.5 is good enough for them.

System - Avid Media Composer 2020.6 + Symphony Option, HP Z840, ZTurbo 500GB for System,Windows 10, CPU E5-2650V3 10 Core, 128GB RAM, AMD FirePro W7100... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 12 2012 8:14 AM In reply to

• daapap
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Germany
    • Posts 525
    • Points 6,925

Pierre Corbeil:
    I would rather be willing to pay to get a fully-functional 6.0.3 Avid MC.

But you already did, didn't you? It just has not been delivered yet since 10 months now.

• Wed, Sep 12 2012 9:19 AM In reply to

• RADIUS
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Jun 12 2010
    • Vibo Valentia (Italy)
    • Posts 212
    • Points 2,690

Hello! My new upgrade is Edius 6.5!!!!!! I like it. Bye bye Avid!

SW: MC 6  on Seven professional 64 - Liquid 7.2 on Xp Sp3

HW:  Asus P6t  Cpu Intel i7 930  Ram DDR3 Kingston (4gb x3)  Vga Quadro Fx 1800  Audio Creative SB audigy 

Hd (sistem) Maxtor 320  Hd Western digita(1TBx4)

• Wed, Sep 12 2012 2:10 PM In reply to

• Erik
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 214
    • Points 2,510

YOP:

I think they made a business mistake.
    none of my friends is going to upgrade and most of the Post Productions houses I know here didn't even upgrade to 6.X because all the bugs. 5.5 is good enough for them.

I think they are trying to encourage people to buy into their Avid Assurance program. In our case we really wanted to move from MC 5 to MC 6 (and now trying to get MC6.5, see my rant above) since we've recently made the switch to tapeless cameras. MC 5 doesn't properly handle the specific AVCHD format these cameras shoot, while MC 6 did. Even though MC 5 requires 64-bit Win7 it is still a 32-bit app... with MC 6 they moved to 64 bit native. Already in the short couple of days we've been using MC 6, it is a big leap in terms of performance.

I can remember years ago when Avid development was pretty stagnant...only coming out with a new version once every blue moon. It took years for them to adopt new formats and include features everyone else has had for years. So in some regard I'm pleased with the fast development cycle. What I don't like is the fact that most often new releases contain some rather obnoxious bugs and it seems in most cases fixing the product their customers have already paid for seems to be lower on the list than pumping out a new version that includes the bug fix. The result is that you end up paying $600 for them to fix your product that didn't work properly in the first place. If they are fixing these in a new version they should be able to roll out a patch kit to fix up the prior version. I know they release some patches throughout a product lifecycle...but oh too often the response to any bug is that it is being fixed in the next version.

• Wed, Sep 12 2012 2:38 PM In reply to

• koteditor
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 10 2010
    • Warsaw
    • Posts 40
    • Points 560

Very good comment Eric!

Avid MC 6.0.3 w. MXO2 Mini on W7 Ult. 64 bit, i7, 24GB DDR3, nVQ FX 3800, 2TB Boot, 6x2TB(RAID-5) Avid MC 6.5 w. MXO2 Mini on W7 Pro. 64 bit, i7, 16GB... [view my complete system specs]

Kot

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0060549/

http://filmpolski.pl/fp/index.php/1127146

• Thu, Sep 13 2012 3:24 AM In reply to

• Paul Nunn
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 13 2012
    • Atlanta, GA
    • Posts 5
    • Points 85

Hey Larry,
    There seems to be something wrong with the Avid website for I just purchase Symphony 6 on August 13, 2012 and yet when I tried to apply for the free upgrade by entering my System ID and activation code, I received a red notice on the top of the page that said it was ineligible for the upgrade. After reading everything I just read on this three about most verteran users not even bothering to use Symphony 6 because it has been the worst release ever, I was happy to learn that my purchase appeared to fall into the required time frame, albeit a big backward. Now I am wondering if they truly meant Sep 2011 to Aug 8, 2012 seeing that my purchase is ineligible. In other words, perhaps my purchase was five days beyond the dealine of Aug 8, 2012. Anyway, I am really bummed that I my first foray into Avid software wound up being the worst release of Symphony they have ever made, so much so that users have gone back to 5.5, which I don't have the option to do. I have never bought software this close to a new version upgrade and not been able to get a free upgrade. Bottom line, it appears I just wasted my money on the worst version of Avid Symphony I could have bought and now have no way to upgrade out of that mistake. What a bad first impression this has been.

Addendum: Well, it just got much worse! I discovered moments ago that I can no longer open Symphony 6 software. Even though I installed and activated the license just last week, it is now telling me that I will have to contact Avid Customer Support because the License Control will no longer intialize. It's bad enough that they rejected my eligibility for a free upgrade to 6.5, but now they are blocking my ability to use of the 6.0 software. What's up with that? Any thoughs? Paul

27" iMac 3.4 GHz Core i7 32GB AMD Radeon HD 6970 2GB, Avid Artist Control, Avid Artist Mix, Avid Artist Transport, Avid Artist Color, Avid Symphony... [view my complete system specs]
Page 3 of 6 (85 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller