Latest post Tue, Aug 21 2012 11:03 AM by Larry Rubin. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Aug 20 2012 10:49 PM

Files won't consolidate to my external Hard Drive

My external hard-drive has read-write access so I am perplexed as to why I keep getting an error when I try to consolidate media to it.  I am trying to make screenshots demonstrating how the consolidation process works for some teachers and right now it is not working.  When I consolidate to internal drives I do not have any issues, which would be great but I have to show how you consolidate media onto an external device and take it to anther computer.  Every time I try it says the following:

"Exception: Operation not supported, filename:/Volume/(My Hard-drive)/Avid MediaFiles/MXF/1/Creating/Creating3"

If anyone can shed any light on this it would be much appreciated.

------------------------------------------------

MacPro OS X Lion 10.7.4

AVID 6.0.1

2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

6gb 1066 MHz DDR3

• Mon, Aug 20 2012 11:00 PM In reply to

Re: Files won't consolidate to my external Hard Drive

Sorry, but I have to ask an obvious question - how is the drive formatted? And that last folder "Creating3" - very odd. I would suggest a database rebuild is in order. If you want to pursue that, quit the application. Then, from each numerical folder inside the MXF folder inside the Avid MediaFiles folder, delete the two files that identify by type as "MSM Media Database" also identified as "msmFMID.pmr" and "msmMMOB.mdb" . If you have an OMFI MediaFiles folder, delete the same two files. On re-launch, the system will detect the missing files and build new ones at the "Initializing Media Streams Manager" stage. You will see the system go into a scanning and indexing mode at this point. Depending on the number of media drives and total amount of media on your system this could take a while, so good time for a meal break.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Aug 21 2012 1:06 AM In reply to

Thank you for the information I really appreciate it.  Yes, it was a format issue.  I go between Mac and PC a lot so I tend to format my drives in exFAT and up till now was unaware of the incompatibility with media consolidation to exFAT drives.  I just can't believe that this hasn't been fixed yet.  Up till now I haven't had any issues editing with exFAT drives.  I reformatted my external drive and it worked right away.  

• Tue, Aug 21 2012 2:44 AM In reply to

I just encountered this same exact issue on Friday night.  I have a PC formatted drive (NTFS) that I'm using on a Mac.  The media is P2 and the client prefers the "old way" of P2 workflow.  I couldn't get the media to Consolidate to their drive because of this same error.  

I ended up Consolidating it all to a Mac formatted drive, then copying the media files over to the PC drive.  So far so good and no other issues working from the PC drive.  

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Tue, Aug 21 2012 11:03 AM In reply to

Kenton.VanNatten:
    I ended up Consolidating it all to a Mac formatted drive, then copying the media files over to the PC drive.

Great tip, Kenton.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller