Latest post Sat, Aug 11 2012 6:58 AM by luca.mg. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Aug 10 2012 1:39 PM

Ram Allocation

MC-6, I was running 8gigs and my baseline render test of a 22 minute episode took 20:22.9 seconds to render with 3 effects applied. 

I then installed 20gig of ram and to render the very same episode took 25 seconds longer. 

Do I have to tell MC-6 that there is now more Ram available through some sort of Ram allocation protocal? If so, can you please provide me with some instruction on how to make that happen. 

Please and thank you. 

about.me/finalcutcoach

Filed under: ,
  • Fri, Aug 10 2012 2:17 PM In reply to

Re: Ram Allocation

Perhaps you should try tweaking the Bla Bla Bla you have listed in the system specs to nondescript function.  that might help.  : )

RAM doesn't affect all effects, some of them are processor intensive, some are GPU driven.  you'll find the boost of RAM allows you to have more open items, smoother scrubbing, and overall a "quicker" interface.

Oh, and please fill out your system specs.

Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option Win7x64 Pro HP zBook 15" Laptop - 16GB RAM (2nd System) Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option - HP z420... [view my complete system specs]

The FunkyDragon 

Happy Editing!

• Fri, Aug 10 2012 2:49 PM In reply to

Also, the total GBs of RAM doesn't tell the whole story.  We need to know the make, model, and specs of the ram.  Was it installed properly?

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Fri, Aug 10 2012 4:24 PM In reply to

Perhaps I should re-phrase the question...

"Is there a Ram Allocation Protocal in Avid Media Composer 6?"

I've updated my system specifications so you'll have all the information required to accurately answer my question. 

And thank you in advance for the forum memebers who are helpful and supportive in getting new Avid Media Composer users up to speed. 

about.me/finalcutcoach

• Fri, Aug 10 2012 4:46 PM In reply to

"... Is there a Ram Allocation Protocal in Avid Media Composer 6 ..."

No, not since OS9.  Under OSX it uses however much it needs or can.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Fri, Aug 10 2012 7:07 PM In reply to

Thank you very much, that answers my question. 

Obrigado...

about.me/finalcutcoach

• Fri, Aug 10 2012 9:18 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,565
    • Points 255,465
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Final Cut Coach:
    Do I have to tell MC-6 that there is now more Ram available through some sort of Ram allocation protocal?

I may be wrong (I often am) but I was under the impression that MC, at present, can only access a maximum of 4 GB. Adding more RAM will not increase the amount being accessed by MC - it will give you more free RAM for other applications that you might want running at the same time.

As I said, I am often wrong . .   Geeked

Regards,
    Douglas

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Aug 11 2012 5:57 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,433
    • Points 98,200

drbgaijin:
    I was under the impression that MC, at present, can only access a maximum of 4 GB.
    That applies to 32-bit versions only, surely?  Otherwise what would be the purpose of going to MC6?

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Aug 11 2012 6:58 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,921
    • Points 70,115

Hi coach and welcome to the forums, render speed is certainly affected by the hard drive speed, moreover, by the sectors the file is written to, especially with very large hard drives: if the first (faster) render was written at the beginning of the hard disk the heads could write at a given speed (faster), while if the second test render was written to the end of the disk the render itself would be slower because of a slower hard drive response; there's no control as to where the operative system and the disk subsystem decide to write a file, if You want to compare You should run the test on an empty, FRESHLY FORMATTED hard drive (simply erasing the file of the first test render before running the second test wouldn't be the same as reformatting and restarting the system between tests), but to be fully honest a 25 seconds difference is too much, unless it is quite a long render, other factors may be in, like room temperature, background apps and tasks, network activity. Your system specs don't tell the all story by the way.

Symphony 21.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller