Latest post Tue, Jul 24 2012 12:36 PM by Pat Horridge. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jul 23 2012 7:59 AM

Please help with a gap in my understanding

Probelm. - My H264 export has some footage with saw tooth comb like jagged edges on movement.

I unmderstand that this is a field order isse. But what I dont get is that, as this is for web, I made the HD sequence in AVID Progressive. The footage, although interlaced (and therefore containing 2 fields) was never imported. Merely accessed by AMA. Its is the import dialog box where i understand I need to address field order issues on import, but there was no import, only AMA link.

So how can i have this issue. Is there somewhere in th eexport dial that ive incorrectly set. Or should i be applying a filter??

Thanks in advance for any pointers

Peter

Windows 7 Pro 64, Intel i7 3.4 ghz cpu, 32 GIG DDR3, MC 8.4.5 Pro Tools 10 & 11 [view my complete system specs]

Peter Groom

Dubbing Mixer

• Mon, Jul 23 2012 8:23 AM In reply to

Re: Please help with a gap in my understanding

Well, one thing you can do is apply the Timewarp effect on your clips (or perhaps a seperate video track on top? ). That by default will make your output progressive.

Avid Media Composer 6 for PC MOBO: GigaByte P67X-UD3-B3 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz Total Memory : 8GB DIMM DDR3 Video... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 23 2012 8:40 AM In reply to

HI Grigoris

Thanks for that.

Does the timewarp effect have any setrting in it. ie  do i drop a field, or combine the 2 fields , blend etc etc.

If the source footage has issues, I might still see it Id have thought.

Its a pain that i dont see this on my AVID monitors. Is there a way of making avid play both fields of a seq so you can see the issue before you export it.

Peter

Windows 7 Pro 64, Intel i7 3.4 ghz cpu, 32 GIG DDR3, MC 8.4.5 Pro Tools 10 & 11 [view my complete system specs]

Peter Groom

Dubbing Mixer

• Mon, Jul 23 2012 8:46 AM In reply to

Yes, you can choose "Type" (where you choose what fields are seen from what I gather looking at it right now, and can also choose your "source" type and "output" type.

EDIT: that is for the Timewarp effect, I suppose if you choose the right settings, you will see them on your Record monitor...

Avid Media Composer 6 for PC MOBO: GigaByte P67X-UD3-B3 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz Total Memory : 8GB DIMM DDR3 Video... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 23 2012 11:11 AM In reply to

To correct field order errors (or at least mask them) with the timewarp effect, choose "blended interpolated" for the type, source: interlaced, output: progressive.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Jul 23 2012 11:25 AM In reply to

Peter Groom:

Probelm. - My H264 export has some footage with saw tooth comb like jagged edges on movement.

I unmderstand that this is a field order isse. But what I dont get is that, as this is for web, I made the HD sequence in AVID Progressive. The footage, although interlaced (and therefore containing 2 fields) was never imported. Merely accessed by AMA. Its is the import dialog box where i understand I need to address field order issues on import, but there was no import, only AMA link.

So how can i have this issue. Is there somewhere in th eexport dial that ive incorrectly set. Or should i be applying a filter??

Thanks in advance for any pointers

Peter

With AMA sources you can right click and choose set source settings and in there set the field order option.

If you set that right the clips in the timeline will get a green dot (after you refresh the sequence with source side settings) And that green dot will do the interlaced to progressive conversion which you can promote if you want more control.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Filed under:
  • Mon, Jul 23 2012 6:03 PM In reply to

HI again

How do i best apply the timewarp filter?

I couldnt apply it to a blany upper track (effect does not apply)

I coulnt apply it to a track that had a cc effect on or asa  nested effect ( (effect does not apply))

In the end i had to make a video mixdown and apply it to that. Im rendering it now

How would you guys get it on there.

Pat

Can you clarify your ama sesstings message. I looked for what you explained but found nothing (although ALL my timeline clips did already have a green dot on them.

Peter Groom

Dubbing Mixer

• Mon, Jul 23 2012 6:15 PM In reply to

Peter Groom:
    I couldnt apply it to a blany upper track (effect does not apply)

Correct, because timewarp is a "motion control" effect that must be placed on a master clip with footage, never on a blank filler track or clip.

Peter Groom:
    I coulnt apply it to a track that had a cc effect on or asa  nested effect ( (effect does not apply))

Because a timewarp effect or a motion control clip MUST be applied on the clip at the very bottom of any effects nest. You CANNOT apply a timewarp effect on top of any other effect, or step into a timewarp effect to place another effect underneath of it. Same restriction applies to a motion clip created in the source window.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Jul 24 2012 10:43 AM In reply to

Hi again

So how do you apply the effect if you have a timeline with hundreds of clips?

Individually?

Peter

Peter Groom

Dubbing Mixer

• Tue, Jul 24 2012 11:07 AM In reply to

Peter Groom:

So how do you apply the effect if you have a timeline with hundreds of clips?

Individually?

In the case of a nest of effects, yes. In the case of standard clips with no effects yet, create the effect once, then drag the effect icon from the effect editor to a bin. Now, segment select all remaining standard clips and CTRL double click the effect icon in the bin.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Jul 24 2012 11:21 AM In reply to

• MattB
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, May 9 2006
    • Shepperton, UK
    • Posts 481
    • Points 6,535

... or perhaps do a video mixdown of the final edit and apply the time-warp effect to that.

Edit 1:- Intel Core i9 7900X msi x299-SLI-plus mobo 64GB DDR4 3000Mhx memory NVIDIA Quadro P4000 (Nvidia driver 441.12) Samsung 860PRO SSD 512GB system... [view my complete system specs]

Matt B

• Tue, Jul 24 2012 11:34 AM In reply to

• Tom Pearson
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 1 2007
    • Los Angeles CA / Dallas TX
    • Posts 2,195
    • Points 23,530

MattB:

... or perhaps do a video mixdown of the final edit and apply the time-warp effect to that.

that is what i would do also

Mac Pro 3.5 gig 6 core 64 gig ram D700 radons with ssd os drive with a 20 tb raid, Artist Mix and Artist color Artist control [view my complete system specs]

Tom Pearson

Director/Writer Big Picture Films

Sound Designer/Sound Editor Hollywood Sounds

WWLD

• Tue, Jul 24 2012 12:17 PM In reply to

MattB:

I did this too with a field order issue I couldn't resolve.

Media Composer 6.5.3 - QT 7.7.4 - Gigabyte X58R-UD3R - Core i7 930 - Quadro FX1800 (310.90) - 12GB RAM - Win 7 64 bit SP1- 150GB OS - 300GB Data - 2x1... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 24 2012 12:36 PM In reply to

Peter Groom:

Pat

Can you clarify your ama sesstings message. I looked for what you explained but found nothing (although ALL my timeline clips did already have a green dot on them.

AMA clips should have a right clip option (or under clip menu) called Set Source Settngs. For soem AMA content Avid assumes this is fixed and the option will be greyed out (unhelpfully if the content is actually wrong as it can be)

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Filed under:
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller