Latest post Thu, May 31 2012 6:48 PM by Marianna. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, May 31 2012 3:17 PM

Re-installation will not accept system ID and activation code

Once again, here we are.  Another Avid installation that won't work.  This is getting REALLY stupid.  The last time I tried to install MC6, even the Avid support rep couldn't figure out why it wouldn't accept the activation code.

I just had to replace the boot drive on my iMac.  I've re-installed MC6, and now it won't accept the system ID and activation code to activate it.  And yes, I have the codes correct, because when I tried registering via the web portal, it told me I was trying to re-register a duplicate.

I've been doing this for 20+ years, and have lost count of the number of installations I've done since the early 1990s.  I've truly never seen another piece of software as flukey regarding installation, and whose manufacturer won't allow you to call anyone to resolve this sort of screw-up.

2.7 GHz iMac Intel Core i5, 20GB RAM, G-Tech eSpeed RAIDs, AJA ioXT, ATTO Thunderlink, RED Rocket accelerator [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 31 2012 3:19 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 160,320

Re: Re-installation will not accept system ID and activation code

Are you using a wired Lan connection ?

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Thu, May 31 2012 3:27 PM In reply to

mjolnarn:

Are you using a wired Lan connection ?

WiFi is the only option here. 

2.7 GHz iMac Intel Core i5, 20GB RAM, G-Tech eSpeed RAIDs, AJA ioXT, ATTO Thunderlink, RED Rocket accelerator [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 31 2012 6:48 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,565
    • Points 255,445
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Scott,

The activation ID is already activated - prior to your hard drive crash/replacement.  You need to deactivate the license via the Avid License Control Utility which resides within the MC folder you have reinstalled.  Reinstalling and registering doesnt have anything to do with the activation of the license.  I would be happy to do it for you manually if you send me the system ID and activation ID via email.  If you would like to do it yourself then launch the ALC utility and you can do it there.

BTW you should be installing 6.0.1.1 which is the latest version we have released.  The 6.0.1.1 update can be found on the DL center which you can access via your Master Account here:  https://www.avid.com/US/account/orientation If you do NOT have a master acount yet go ahead and create one and then access the Download Center.  The 6.0.1.1 update resides in the Avid Editor Patch Folder.   

Another tip - you should subscribe to this Knowledge Base here:   http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/troubleshooting/en379435?popup=true&NewLang=en&DocType=1078

You can subscribe on the right navigation bar and enter your email so each time we release a patch or an update, you are notified.

As for the SW licensing scheme.... it really can be flakey on wifi so in this circumstance you might be better of with a manualactivation ( of course once you have deactvated) which can be done at http://www.avid.com/US/support/activate

As always I am here to help and my email and cell # are below.

Marianna 

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller