Latest post Thu, Jun 21 2012 7:44 PM by Erik Levine. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Apr 5 2012 10:24 PM

• Kirshy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 18 2011
    • Posts 6
    • Points 80

What video Resolution to use?

Getting ready to setup a project in MC 6.  I have HD Apple Pro Res 422 footage that I need to edit.  The final video will be sent out for broadcast and I want to make sure I bring the footage into Avid at the correct settings.  Should I bring it in at 1:1 or one of the other settings?  What is the difference between DNxHD 45 MXF, DNxHD 145 MXF, DNxHD 220 MXF/220X, 1:1 MXF, 1:1p 10b MXF, Apple Prores MXF, Apple Prores HQ MXF, Apple Prores LT MXF, Apple Prores Proxy MXF?  What is the best option?  Any help would be appreciated.

• Fri, Apr 6 2012 6:16 AM In reply to

Re: What video Resolution to use?

If you're on a Mac, and use v6, you can do a fast import, just make sure to select 601/709 color levels and 'image correctly sized for current project'. It will keep the exact same resolution as the source file has, but will re-wrap it into an MXF container for Avid to use.

The numbers in the DNxHD codec flavors are data rates, 45 being a highly-compressed resolution meant for offline editing, and 145 and 220 meant for finishin (220 being the least compressed). 1:1 means unconpressed. 'p' means progressive (only use if the footage is progressive rather than interlaced). The 'x' after some of them means 10-bit (only needed it your sources are 10-bit). The ProRes variants - like DNxHD - are various amounts of compression and lower/higher datarates. The data rates are very similar, so ProRes 422 Proxy sort of equals DNxHD45, ProRes 422 LT is half as much compressed as Proxy, ProRes 422 sort of equals DNxHD145, ProRes 422 HQ sort of equals DNxHD220.

Uncompressed requires a lot of storage, and really, really fast storage, as the data rate is very high. DNxHD was developed as a broadcast quality postproduction codec, capable of maintaining high quality pictures at data rates that are comparable to uncompressed standard definition, and designed to withstand multiple 'generations' when rendering.

So, you would normally need to find out what flavor of ProRes your source files are (hit CMD-I in Quicktime to find out if it's plain, LT, Proxy or HQ). Then, either try to Fast Import (keeping the native resolution) and set your Media Creation tool to that same ProRes flavor as default resolution, or use File->Link to AMA and just link straight to the Quicktime files, after which you can choose to Transcode them at any point you like.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 9 2012 2:25 PM In reply to

• Kirshy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 18 2011
    • Posts 6
    • Points 80

Thanks, I will give that a try.

• Thu, Jun 21 2012 7:44 PM In reply to

• Erik Levine
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Sep 30 2011
    • New York
    • Posts 10
    • Points 140

I just shot a project on a Canon XF300 which gave me the material in a MXF file format. In MC6, isn't importing at 1:1 MXF the same as setting the resolution dialog box to import at source resolution?

Mac Pro 2019, 2.3 GHz 16 - Core Intel Xeon W, 96 GB RAM, AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32 GB Media Composer 2020.4 Catalina 10.15.4 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller